Medical MJ where do you stand

Though I'm still with John Colter that this post belongs in "What's happening in your shed":cool:, LOL, IMHO no lawmaking body has any business depriving anyone of cannabis (oil, lotion or plain ole reefer) who has a bona fide medical need for it. My older and only brother suffers from a relatively mild form of epilepsy. During his younger days, he had the ability to sense the onset of seizures and to prevent them by physically stopping whatever he was doing and essentially meditating. Even when seizures occurred, they tended to be the less-severe petit mal variety. Recently, at age 66, he suffered a grand mal seizure with no prior warning. The after effects are far worse than in the past. You can bet your @$$ I'll find a way to get him some cannabis if he needs it. Will I worry about the opinion / legislation of the other Big Brother (the government)? Nope.

When my late father-in-law was in great pain from Stage IV pancreatic cancer, he kept a case of Jack Daniels bourbon on hand at all times. Though many members of his family were committed teetotalers, everyone saw the wisdom of not arguing. Jack was his preferred painkiller during a terminal illness and he perceived the ability to dull the pain while maintaining a far greater degree of mental acuity as opposed to a "full knockout" from codeine or opiods. Several of us offered to find cannabis at the time (more than a decade ago). He tenaciously chose to stick with Jack.

If I take a poppy, score the sides to collect the sap and dry it I get opium. Should poppies be illegal too? A plant should not be illegal - it's just a part of nature. However, if a person wants to be dumb and smoke/chew/dip said plant, then that's their prerogative. Being dumb isn't illegal, is it?
Was it Ron White or Larry The Cable Guy who famously said, "You can't fix stupid"?

Though I'm still with John Colter that this post belongs in "What's happening in your shed":cool:, LOL, IMHO no lawmaking body has any business depriving anyone of cannabis (oil, lotion or plain ole reefer) who has a bona fide medical need for it. My older and only brother suffers from a relatively mild form of epilepsy. During his younger days, he had the ability to sense the onset of seizures and to prevent them by physically stopping whatever he was doing and essentially meditating. Even when seizures occurred, they tended to be the less-severe petit mal variety. Recently, at age 66, he suffered a grand mal seizure with no prior warning. The after effects are far worse than in the past. You can bet your @$$ I'll find a way to get him some cannabis if he needs it. Will I worry about the opinion / legislation of the other Big Brother (the government)? Nope.

When my late father-in-law was in great pain from Stage IV pancreatic cancer, he kept a case of Jack Daniels bourbon on hand at all times. Though many members of his family were committed teetotalers, everyone saw the wisdom of not arguing. Jack was his preferred painkiller during a terminal illness and he perceived the ability to dull the pain while maintaining a far greater degree of mental acuity as opposed to a "full knockout" from codeine or opiods. Several of us offered to find cannabis at the time (more than a decade ago). He tenaciously chose to stick with Jack.
Sorry for quoting your entire posting, it wasn't necessary. Just wanted you to know...

As I mentioned a few entries back, our eldest dog uses CBD oil because he gets Grand Mal seizures. There's no hallucinogenic component in CBD oil. It does help reduce his frequency of occurrence, and with the massive headache, confusion and blindness as he slowly regains consciousness and control of motor function. I suggest you get the highest strength you can find. I also suggest your brother administer it sublingual, as it has a better chance of being absorbed, and not being destroyed by stomach acid.

Last edited:
We live in a corrupt World ruled by the Wise and Wicked on all sides of the spectrum.
I don't have a favorite.
The Truth is definitely stranger than anything a fiction writer would dare to come up with.
…I refer all to the thread, “Today’s Chuckle”.

Okay, Anthony.
Back in that post, I was just making a light hearted joke, using the vernacular of young American pot heads. I know you're in Australia, so maybe my joking was misunderstood.

With regards to your current reply, I actually do have a favorite. I believe there are more good folk than bad in our world, but I also see the bad among us too.
I took your reply as a joke. Don't sweat it.
I'm just struggling to suppress my rage at the corruption going on in the World at the moment, and its going on above the heads of elected officials.
Hence the ridiculous notion that pot is an illegal substance, yet far more dangerous drugs, are legal, and make certain companies billions of dollars.
My apologies for the political content.

Last edited:
Both medical and recreational cannabis are legal in my state and have been for ten years. (What is taking the rest of you so long? 😂) We haven’t turned into a den of addiction and crime. I often have an edible to help sleep. I have noticed my ukulele sounds a lot better after I take one. Just thought I’d introduce ukuleles again.

I guess my question would be does marijuana use relieve arthritis symptoms in the hands, which could be helpful for some uke & guitar players.

I guess if it is a purified CBD product without hallucinogenic effects and only consumed in the privacy of ones residence so that others are not affected, then I think it is ok for people to use who think it helps them.

It all depends how you let it impact your life. It has the capabilities to calm your pain and mind but it can be overdone like anything else. I think it has less side effects than what the doctor will give you. Use it within reason and I think it can have a very positive impact.

I used medical marijuana for several years in a legal state. It definitely helped me with my symptoms, where no prescription medication ever had. I am not a "believer", the corollary to which is that I am also not a "disbeliever" - without evidence or proof. I have never had a placebo effect (I know this because as a college student I made money Taking Drugs for Science) and I never will. Things either work or they don't work. Whatever I may believe or not believe doesn't enter into it.

I am now in a non-legal state (hope to be moving out of here this summer). I have arthritis in my toe, well I have arthritis several places but it bothers me most in one of my big toes. Now that may sound like a small thing. But just try to walk without using your big toe. Let alone many many other activities of which you are not aware. The only choice given to me by doctors is surgery to immobilize it.

Seriously. Just think of trying to walk or anything else without being ABLE to flex your big toe.

Thanks anyway. Bring on the pot, warm compresses, and a bit of massage. Right now I only have access to the latter two. Looking forward to regaining access to the first as well.

As for "addiction" - speaking as a trained clinical psychologist, the evidence that marijuana is NEITHER physically NOR psychologically addictive is overwhelming. Some people here have conflated "compulsive behavior" with "addiction". Entirely different animals. Compulsive behavior includes a wide range of activities, such as compulsive eating, having to count cracks in the sidewalk, body movements such as jiggling a leg while sitting, etc etc etc. ANY human activity CAN be indulged in compulsively, including the use of marijuana. That is NOT addiction.

Seriously. We haven't proposed enforcing calorie intake limits for all human beings just because there are some people who eat to the point where they can't move and have to be lifted out of their houses through the roof with a crane. (Extreme example of compulsive eating, there are many more compulsive eaters who remain mobile).

The idea that no human being should be allowed to partake of weed because a bare handful develop compulsive behavior that involves weed use is just silly.

Oh yeah. And marijuana is (a) not a hallucinogen and (b) even if it were, the idea that CBD is A-OK because all the fun has been sucked out of it but real weed is not is not flying. I have used CBD. It did nothing for me. I don't suffer from anything that it has been proven efficacious for, such as seizures. It did not help me with pain. Real weed with THC in it did. So thanks anyway, but I'll stick to the whole 9 yards. And guess what - I'm totally fine with people taking it JUST for the fun parts. I will never understand why drinking alcohol is just fine but toking - OMG IT'S THE DEBBIL!

Top Bottom