Last Song (Edward Bear)

keonepax

Verified Account
Reaction score
By coincidence, my video camera seems to have conked out while working on this song. Could really be my "last song" for a while. I wasn't sure how long I'd keep this YouTube thing going, so I'm not keen to buy a new camera. We'll see. Anyway, hope you like my rendition of this 1972 hit:

John. Listen to me carefully. I've said this to you before. I am a boy from the East End of London. YOU REALLY DON'T WANT TO MESS WITH ME!!! lol

Buy a new video camera, use your phone or iPad. Or anyone else's. Borrow or hire one if you need to, but DON'T stop making these videos, we ALL enjoy them too much. UU and YouTube NEED you and your talent.

Seriously matey, another great track which is being added to my growing collection. Find a way to keep 'em coming...or I really WILL send the boys round... lolol x

Noooooo! I look forward to these lovely performances and trips through the sometimes forgotten hits of the era.

John will not stop
He owes us lots of lots of videos for many many more years to come !
I forgot to give you five stars. Here it is from Canada.

Here is the song that is in response to Last Song
https://youtu.be/F2pbaJmxvlc

Last edited:
Hey John,
I see your uke has the old KU insignia on the headstock (before Kansas University filed to make Kanile'a change it); do I see the old G-String "fishing hook" logo on there too, or are my old eyes just deceiving me?

Either way, that uke has a great sound...then again, it could just be the player! ;)

William

Thanks, Brenda! The Irish Rovers (the Unicorn) have a Canadian connection, so that makes two Canada-related covers in a row! Thanks for the link and info about that follow-up song. I didn’t know about it. Such a sad song!
Thanks, Dave! I still have my old Sony video camera, but it works a bit differently from the Canon I'd been using, so I have to relearn it. But I’ll be busy in the coming weeks, so I have to put it off for a while. But I’ll be back one way or another!
Thanks, EDW! There are a lot of songs from the ‘70s that are somewhat half-forgotten gems. Those are my favorite songs to do. I hope to keep going.
Thanks Bill, Campbell, John, and Joseph! Much appreciated!
Thanks, William! Yes, it’s the old Kanile’a logo, but I don’t know of and can’t see any fishing hook logo. Interestingly, I wanted to buy this ukulele from a friend because my son attended the University of Kansas and also I teach at Kokugakuin University here in Japan, so I thought it would be good to have a “KU” ukulele, and at that time I didn’t realize how good this Kanile’a Sound Monster would sound or feel. It’s my favorite player uke… very light and feels good in my hands. It’s definitely my workhorse ukulele…

Thought I'd add the lyrics and chords here:

intro: D /// //// Em /// ////
Did you [D] know I'd go to sleep and leave the [Em] lights on
Hoping [F#m] you'd come by and know that I was [Em] home and still awake
But two [D] years go by and still my [Em] lights on
This is [F#m] hard for me to say but this is [G] all that I can [A] take

refrain:
It's the [D] last song I'll ever [Em] write for you
It's the [F#m] last time that I'll tell you just how [Em] much I really care
This is the [D] last song I'll ever [Em] sing for you
You'll come [F#m] looking for the light and it [G] won't be [A] there
But I [G] love---[D] you, [Em7] oh yes I [D] do, yes I [Em] do [A7]

All the [D] times that I spent waiting wondering [Em] where you are
Always [F#m] knew the time would come when I would [Em] start to wonder why
Now the [D] time is here, I don't know [Em] where you are
So I'll [F#m] write you one more song but it's the [G] last time that I'll [A] try (refrain)

outro: //: It's the [D] last song-- I'll ever [Em] write for you ://

Really nice and heartfelt version of this song, John. I was a college sophomore when this song was popular, and I had been hurt by someone I cared deeply for, and this was the song that always seemed to be on the radio at the time; seems like there was another song that was big at that same time-- maybe "Seasons In The Sun" by Terry Jacks? I'm not sure if I have that right... but in any event... THANKS!

John
I did a search on Edward Bear. I always thought that's the name of a person. I did not know it's a name of the band. The lead singer name is Larry Evoy. Below is a link of an interview why he wrote 'Last Song' followed with 'Close Your Eyes' .... I hope you don't mind me sharing this here . I hope you know how much your oldies music affect so many of us here. Thank you again for sharing and taking us back to memory lane. 1972 was a special year. That's the year I followed my parents to Canada with a guitar on my back.

https://www.cshf.ca/the-story-behind-last-song-qa-with-songwriter-larry-evoy/

By coincidence, my video camera seems to have conked out while working on this song. Could really be my "last song" for a while. I wasn't sure how long I'd keep this YouTube thing going, so I'm not keen to buy a new camera. We'll see. Anyway, hope you like my rendition of this 1972 hit:

Hello again John,
What I'm seeing is that the "KU" is much lighter and much more faded. The much darker and in between portion that forms the upper center portion of half the "K" blended with the upper center quarter of the top of the "U" is what I'm referring to. This darker overlapped portion really looks to me very much like the G-String logo. Sure...I can tell that this uke is a Kanile'a by the shape of the headstock.

Does anybody else see what I'm seeing? To me this darker "G-String hook" center area portion really stands out.

Could this one be some sort of an early hybrid between the two companies? :confused:

William

Thanks, Bill! If you read the link that Brenda provided just below yours, you can actually see a connection between the writer of Last Song and Terry Jacks, who indeed wrote "Seasons in the Sun."
Brenda, thanks for that link to the story behind "Last Song." It's funny that it ended up not being the last song he wrote about that girl. By the way, I also thought Edward Bear was the name of the singer when the song was popular.
William, I see what you mean. I think the "U" is actually just slightly faded compared to the "K" because that's where I keep attaching the tuner to the headstock, and when I did green screening which darkened the background behind me in the video, I think it made that faded look more pronounced than it actually is. It's actually just a simple "KU."

I guess I've gotta lay off the peyote buttons...

Keep up the good work John!!

Last edited:
Well I'll be darned, John, I had no idea that Larry Evoy and Terry Jacks would have had such a connection!! That is so very cool!! And thanks to you, Brenda, for posting that great article!! This all brings back a very significant time in my life, so vividly!! Time to add "Last Song" to my uke setlist-- thanks for the headstart, John!

John you have finally stumped me. I just do not know that song.........Perhaps I was having too much of a good time in the 70s in the Uk!!!!

I am with Dave you must keep going! You are seriously talented and a joy to listen to and watch!
If you are getting a new camera I would be interested in what you choose. The video quality on mine is well past its best!

Regards, Mike

Top Bottom