got Hawaiian shirts?

I got the Hawaiian Shirt Acquisition Syndrome in high school, late '70s. I always gravitated towards the most obnoxious ones. My dad thought it was a phase I was going through and would pass in time. He always thought the best of people - even when misguided. I still wear them on my day off.

Although I've got quite a collection, I always end up putting on one of a couple favorites.

Clearly those were early sign of a ukulele vocation, even amidst my misspent youth.

I have one but sometimes it seems more like a Florida or Cuban shirt.

Last edited:
Being a long time resident of the Aloha state I can't help but own more than a few aloha shirts. Past girlfriends and relatives always seemed to think that was what I wanted for Christmas! They're regulation business attire here, especially for older men and replaced the suit and for most formal and business occasions. They're also uniforms for anybody working in the visitor industry. For those reasons I avoid wearing aloha shirts save for gigs where the client requests "aloha attire." Plus, I sweat while performing and a bare arm sticks to my guitar or 'ukulele like glue, preventing timbre changes or harmonics. If I have to wear an aloha shirt, I don a sun or compression sleeve so I can play without sticking to my axe.

I dont have a real hawaiian shirt.

I do have a short sleeved cotton shirt, pale red with a large floral pattern in a brighter shade of red. I consider it a toned down alternative, that sends a reference to hawaiian shirts without standing too much out.

I have a collection, maybe eight or so. When I dress up (means no T-shirt) I go Hawaiian. Retirement is great!

38+ and at least a dozen teeshirts with hawaiian/tropical/ukulele themes...:D:shaka:

And a couple XXL Tommy Bahamas I need to sell, way too big for me (they're generously cut) $25 ea. shipped CONUS
XXL1.jpg XXL2.jpg

Last edited:
38+ and at least a dozen teeshirts with hawaiian/tropical/ukulele themes...:D:shaka:

And a couple XXL Tommy Bahamas I need to sell, way too big for me (they're generously cut) $25 ea. shipped CONUS
View attachment 115978 View attachment 115979
Tempting I used to buy any that had a ukulele on it. I already have about 4 feet of rack space in XXL. I've got many more XLs that I grew out of, that are up for re-homing.

Last edited:
Been wearing them for decades. I am no longer allowed to use the word "need" in connection with any more Hawaiian shirts. I have probably more than 200.

I’ve got a small closet full here on Oahu and another small closet full on the mainland that I’d love to sell $5 each plus shipping but you’ll have to wait until I get back to the mainland in the middle of June. Looking for someone who would like the whole batch, all large but heck if I’m going to take a picture of each one. A picture of the group laid out on a large bed okay.

I just own one. I've worn it 3 times to do Aloha shows.

I have a few. This one’s my favorite...

AE04DAAF-0F83-42E2-B090-025146E5905C.jpg

That’s me acting as MC at Uke New Jersey Too!

Scooter

I like that one a lot Scooter.

Canada has a chain of used clothing stores called Value Village and that's where I shop for Hawaiian shirts. They're usually about 7 or 8 bucks and we keep a few spares to give to musicians who sub with the jug band when one of the regulars can't make it. We also give them away to audience members who can answer skill-testing questions like, "What was Cliff Edwards' stage name?"

We used to get out leis to wear when we did Ukulele Lady.

I bought a Hawaiian shirt made in Hawaii with ukes on its when I was there in 2015! Here's the proof! hehe

Petey

Have eight or nine Hawaiian shirts here (OK, some were made in Korea) and wear them all the time when the weather suits. One advantage is that I don't meet anybody in the street wearing the same shirt.

Top Bottom