got Hawaiian shirts?

My Mom and Dad retired to Hawaii and my wife and I would spend the Christmas Holidays with them. I always stopped by Hilo Hatties to buy a couple of silk shirts when we got there. I've had some beauties but sadly I'm down to two.

I have a number of Kahala shirts - one of my favorites (as seen in my avatar) is the Honolulu Fire Department Aloha Shirt. I was still an active firefighter when I got that one, more than 15 years back.

Before I ever played ukulele.

All told, I probably have 10-12 aloha shirts. When I was out of uniform, I wanted to be out of uniform. So, Aloha shirts, or bright print scrub tops.

I was told that folks who live in Hawaii tend toward more monochrome, less garish aloha shirts, with smaller patterns. I may have one or two of those, as well, but my favorites were the ones that say "Hello. My brain exploded."

-Kurt​

I'm female, and have been wearing Hawaiian shirts for years here in Florida! Usually a mens' size S is just right. I only buy all-cotton ones. I get them at local thrift stores and seldom pay more than $3 or $4. They are definitely dressing up for me. :) I'll wear them to work, out to dinner, or anyplace too nice to wear a t-shirt or tank top, although I will often wear a Hawaiian shirt open, with a tank top underneath (think "layering"). I have them with both large and small patterns. Here's a picture of a few. The one in the center is my most "dressy" (very sharp-looking in person and has gotten a ton of compliments), and the one on the right is my Chicago Cubs Reyn Spooner shirt, a most treasured gift from my now-deceased parents.

bratsche

Attachments

• IMG_20190309_114709-1024x576[1].jpg
    IMG_20190309_114709-1024x576[1].jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 60
Last edited:
My absolute favorite was years back----all black with neon orange and yellow little samurai warriors. kinda disco weird.

40 years ago I bought a silk one from a local resale shop; sold it for about $150 last year; had bamboo buttons; from the 1950s.

This is an interesting little shop located in downtown Honolulu started by ex Reyn Spooner employees unhappy with the company's corporate change .

https://kiholokai.com

BotanicalGardensButtonfrontTan_1024x1024.jpg

My favorite Aloha Shirt is the one I'm wearing in the avatar: The Official Honolulu Fire Department Aloha Shirt.

I picked it up while I was still an active career firefighter. I know Joe Souza is a retired Honolulu Firefighter, and there have been a few of the crew I've run into here on UU.

And I bought the shirt before I ever played ukulele.

-Kurt​

Most people here in Hawaii respect traditional Hawaiian music but smooth soul and Hawaiian reggae, Jawaiian, music are probably the most popular here. There is punk. There is jazz. There is classical. The cane fields are gone and most of the pineapple fields. People have to work hard here. Housing is expensive. Wages can be low and commuting can be very hard. In spite of all the difficulties, however, people are largely friendly still. Hawaii is a big mix of races that tend to get along and mix and yet keep their own traditions. Complex place. Basically I have come to the conclusion that I knew just about nothing about Hawaii before moving here six years ago.
I appreciate this perspective.

I’ve got a whole collection size of men’s Large that I’d like to sell say for $4 a piece, all different shirts, vintage. Stuff that I liked the looks of. I keep them in a box in my bedroom closet. I haven’t counted them. Is there anyone out there interested in buying in bulk and paying shipping costs. I’m in theSF Bay Area.

I remember asking the woman at Bailey’s in Honolulu what my shirt was worth, hoping to hear a really good price. She said it’s a really nice shirt but only worth about $5. She showed me the $7000 ones, the specially sewn collar, some made in France. Coconut buttons didn’t add value.

Anyway, some really nice aloha shirts in bulk, men’s large, $4 per piece. Use them how you like. Wear them, frame them, chop them up and use for quilts, whatever. Good shape for their age and don’t ask me their ages.

If you’re really interested I can send some group of eight or so photos.

Kimosabe

Last edited:
I bought one the other day with Stitch on it from Lilo and Stitch, because my daughter likes that.

Approx 110... I've had a very good source with new choices each year for over a decade. They are my evening wear.

I am "thinning out the herd" as they say. "Goodwill" got about 20 of them. About 90 left.

I'm partial to 100% cotton.

Last edited:
I've a cycling jersey, Hawaiian themed, covered with small pineapples on a sea-blue background.
What makes it truly "Hawaiian" is the internal neck lettering, "McGarrett Would Wear It"
Wore it on a cross country bike tour 25 years ago... still enjoying it today. :)

I have pseudo Hawaiian shirts. Flower or bird motifs on them. I wore them on a cruise several years ago.

Even though one of our best friends deals in pretty Hawaiian shirts, I hate wearing them.

Top Bottom