Deciding is so hard!

Kherome

Reaction score
I am new here, and have had quite a few questions already so I thank you for being kind and bearing with me. Because I have no access to a shop that would allow me to see these instruments in person I have to decide based on what I can find online.
I've finally narrowed down my search to these ukes and I would love any input that more experienced players might have. They are all very close in price($250 to $300ish), seem to have good reviews, and look nice. If anyone has experience with any of these (or even just an opinion) I'd appreciate it.

Kumu KOA-TM74 (Laminate)

Ohana TK-70R (solid top)

Kala KA-SMHT Solid Mahogany

Kala KA-KTG Hawaiian Koa Gloss Tenor (laminate)

I think you’re in matter-of-taste-land here with no inherently wrong or right answers. I’d probably go for the Ohana because I like spruce (this week—opinions subject to change without notice). Others would go for the solid hog, and I’m sure others for the Koa laminates.

You should be able to find sound samples online for all of these to get an idea of what they sound like and which you like. You can also call the more trustworthy vendors to see if they can better explain differences.

Whatever you get, you’ll want to make sure it’s set up well. If you don’t want to do so yourself buy from a dealer who will. From your selection I’d guess you’re looking at ukerepublic and/or mimsukes and both have good reputations.

I have a spruce-top Ohana from Mim that plays and sounds great. My hog-laminate Kalas from Amazon needed some setup work before they played well.

The Ohana and the Kala would be my two picks. They are both good quality well made and highly respected brands. They will soumd very different. The Ohana being spruce and rosewood would typically be bright and loud. The all solid mahogany Kala will be warm and mellow. So which sound do you prefer????

I see you own a Cordoba 15T which I believe is all mahogany laminate, do you like the sound of it? Are you looking for a different sound, Ohana spruce top would be different.

no hands on experience with those models - but of those, I'd pick the Kala SMHT.

I love the warmth of solid hog tenors.

Next in line for me would be something with a solid red cedar top.

I'm not unhappy with the Cordoba, but I don't "love" it either. Being a beginner it's hard for me to articulate exactly what I want. I don't come from a musical background. Perhaps the issue is that the cordoba didn't come with any setup and I'm not advanced enough to know what it needs? So I am looking at uke republic and mims this time.

I'd go for something that sounds different than what you have, probably a spruce or cedar top. Here's another on eBay now for your consideration, an Ohana TK-70L, with laminated lacewood back/sides, and solid spruce top. When the B&S are laminate, I don't think the veneer that shows matters all that much, and this TL-70L probably sounds similar to the TK-70R with lam rosewood. Seems a decent deal at 210.00 shipped, with Buy It Now. Good luck.

TK-70L.JPG

+1 on a solid mahogany Kala. I like the warm tone of mahogany, plus, it's all solid. Not that laminate is bad, it's just that I think solid wood will more closely express the tonal quality of the wood.
More importantly, how does it feel when you play it? I've had a few expensive ukes that just didn't make me want to play them, whereas my Opio has me picking it up every chance I get and spending way too much time noodling.
Strings also play a huge part in how a uke feels when you play it. Not just in how easily the fingering goes, but the tone as well. All part of the "feel".

If I may further muddy the water for you... especially since you're new to ukes, I urge you to look at second hand ukes.

When you're searching for something you can't clearly define, you're going to turn a lot of stones over before you find the gem you seek.

When those stones cost you full retail, you're going to lose $$$ if you find they're not what you want and then list them for sale to fund the next rock you want to turn over.

But by judiciously buying used ukes, your losses will be far less. You might even come out even, and, in rare cases, you might even make a few $$.

I am afraid of used, but it might be worth a look. There is a used Lanikai near me that is beautiful, but someone told me Lanikai is not a good brand.

You might check Mim's for Blemished ukes which are a little cheaper. The blemishes are usually not much to be really noticed, and I always figure I'm looking for something nice to play not a museum piece.
Ditto what everyone says about looking for sound samples. It's all so subjective. Spruce is really bright and sharper, mahogany is warmer.
You'll have to pry my cedar out of my hands because I love the deep, warm tone.
If you have a jam session going on near you, you may want to drop in and see what people are playing if you don't have a store near you. I've seen that a lot of time there's not a huge difference between online and store prices and depending on where you buy, you'll be helping a local business

You might check Mim's for Blemished ukes which are a little cheaper. The blemishes are usually not much to be really noticed, and I always figure I'm looking for something nice to play not a museum piece.
I bought a B-stock (blemished) KoAloha concert from Mim and would happily do it again. A few little finish marks aren't even noticeable to your audience and they have zero effect on the sound or the playability. Settling for less-than-perfect saved me $$$!

Very much a question of what kind of sound/tone you like, it's nice to have a good looking uke, but if it doesn't have the sound you want, you'll soon be looking for the next one. ;)

Check out sound samples online, don't buy just on looks, & if you can afford it, a solid or solid top is usually better than a laminate, though there are some good laminates.

My own preferences are for mahogany, cedar, &/or acacia, (but spruce is OK too). :)

Solid/solid top instruments need to be humidified if the humidity in your home drops below 40%. If you're on the west coast of the northern US (as I am), it's rarely an issue. If you're in the interior you'll probably need to humidify during heating and air conditioning seasons. You can do so by keeping the uke in a hard case with an inexpensive humidifier.

With solid tops or all solids you have to humidify them, right?

I humidify even my all laminate ukulele, my Kiwaya KS-1. Low humidity can make the wood of your fretboard shrink, thus exposing the sharp ends of the frets. If the neck is bound, this could result in the binding distorting or even breaking at the frets.

Good choices. All you really have to decide is which one you're getting *first* :p

Did you get my message? I’m still figuring out how to use this forum’s message board.

Top Bottom