Suggested Amp Size and Make for Kala Baritone Ukulele

johnnysmash

Reaction score
For home use and maybe sometimes with a guitar, what size and make of Amp should I be looking for.

I need For my Kala, Baritone Ukulele. I know less than nothing about electronics.

Thank you, johnny

The variety of choices is so vast that it would first be necessary for you tell us more. How much do you want to spend? How will use it? How portable does it need to be? Do you want to plug in a mic for singing as well as the instrument?

An acoustic amp would be the choice, but there are inexpensive basic models, or very expensive elaborate models made by many vendors; Fender, Fishman, Roland, Yamaha, Marshall, the list goes on and on.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Not sure about how much to spend yet. Only play at home for myself and family. Sometimes, not often, but it happens, we party with friends, maybe up to 20-30 people as guest. Patio type BBQ feast and talk talk talk, some drinking. More of the guest would play more then me. They all play some guitar and are new to ukulele so for sure they have to try it out. Yes a mike. I forgot that as many do sing well. Portable - yes. From 18"X27" bed room where I also have an area for my music to the out door patio and gazebo area which is large - gazebo 30'X30' and patio about 70'X30', all under roof. Inside living room 18'X27' with 20'X20' family room on side with wide arch opening and at end of living room the dinning room also with a large wide opening connecting them. Dinning are is 18'X18'. Inside house all floors are tile. Outside cement. I want something with good quality and and at the time do not want to spend a fortune. Also, since I live in Thailand, I am not sure what my choices available will be or if I will have to pay more and mail order. Not for Pro use but Pro quality if I can afford. I have to go to Bangkok, about 250 Kilometers from where I live and see about what is available and at what price. That is why this post - I would like to know something about what I am shopping for before going shipping.

I use a Roland Micro Cube with my ukes, it has several built in effects, cost me about £120, a couple of years ago, but I don't 'sing'.
It's a mains or battery powered amp.
They do a slightly more expensive version that takes a standard mic.

Fishman Loudbox Mini is an excellent 60 watt amp that gives you instrument and mic hookups with separate controls in a compact that's made for acoustics and retails for less than $400

Last edited:
I really liked my Pignose amp. Unfortunately I have to get that out of storage after moving.
My advice isn't worth a whole heck of a lot though, since that is the only one I've ever used!

Fishman Loudbox Mini is an excellent 60 watt amp that gives you instrument and mic hookups with separate controls in a compact that's made for acoustics and retails for less than $400
Knowing more now, that's the one I would suggest. The leader of my uke group used one for many years Thirty-five of us rehearse twice a week in a 25x40x10 ft multipurpose room and the amp did very well with ukulele and voice inputs.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Recently went through the whole amp search thing. Played my Godin Multiuke through my son's Voxmini5 and Fender Mustang 100amp, while fun and I'll borrow his amps again, just not the sound I was looking for. I did not test any other amps at stores, just checking on the net, here other places, listening to video's and such. My list looked like this, all acoustic oriented amps, (no particular order) Roland both the 30 and 60 amp, ZT lunchbox acoustic, Fishman Loudbox mini, Fender Acoustic, Yamaha, Marshall. Battery power was not a necessity. Budget was $300 to $400 give or take, was not going to spend the $$$ to step up to the next level.

I ended up with a Fishman Loudbox mini via Sweetwater they had a deal so I got a mic stand, mic, cord along with it ( wouldn't you know the mic came with a holder that does not fit the mic stand so I had to order that a week or so later.

Been happy happy with the Fishman Loudbox mini....played last night and will again some this weekend......might think about an instrument mic down the road for my non plug in ukes

Do a search there are several threads on amps and much more knowledgeable people than I ...

Last edited:
Johnny, the Kustom PA50/PowerWerks PW50 will do all the above for $99 bucks. 50 watts, 3 channels, stand mountable and you can daisy chain them with XLR microphone cables for more channels and power. I own a sound and lighting company and am never embarrassed to offer these as sound solution for personal practice and public performance. They are the lowest priced professional PA gear I recommend. Here's the owners manual:

http://www.powerwerks.com/manuals/pw50_owners_manual.pdf

Here's some video demo's:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBQ2-CLUSUg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZk33_3GmE4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2guyp3XZhwk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i42dj-v_6vo

Is any of your equipment sold in Thailand? Can it be shipped to Thailand?

By placing this thread on UU I hoped to pick up enough information on any brand that is sold in Thailand. By doing so I hope to be able to locate a decent brand of amp, one of quality. Too much Chinese junk here for sale. Some Chinese products are good. Most are junk. Also by purchasing locally I avoid duty import taxes and shipping. Yes I know that is calculated in price, however, it is lower than if one orders from abroad and has the product shipped.

So far Roland and Fishman are mentioned a lot and both are available here in Bangkok. Not ready to buy yet, close. So far Fishman Loudbox mini is looking good.

I agree with ricdoug when he recommends the Kustom PA50/PowerWerks PW50. I went the battery operated 5 watt route and worked my way up from there and it did not take long to realize I was not getting out there very far. The Kustom PA50 works pretty well. So regardless, I would go for 50 watts at least. Also they aren't that big to lug around.

Is any of your equipment sold in Thailand? Can it be shipped to Thailand?

By placing this thread on UU I hoped to pick up enough information on any brand that is sold in Thailand. By doing so I hope to be able to locate a decent brand of amp, one of quality. Too much Chinese junk here for sale. Some Chinese products are good. Most are junk. Also by purchasing locally I avoid duty import taxes and shipping. Yes I know that is calculated in price, however, it is lower than if one orders from abroad and has the product shipped.

So far Roland and Fishman are mentioned a lot and both are available here in Bangkok. Not ready to buy yet, close. So far Fishman Loudbox mini is looking good.

https://forum.ukuleleunderground.com/showthread.php?5333-Battery-powered-ukulele-amplification

Top Bottom