VIDEO- How to Make LUTHIER'S BREAD!!!!!!!!

Beau Hannam Ukuleles

Reaction score
Luthier's bread (bread made by a luthier!)

This is a great recipe for luthiers (or anyone)

This is super easy quick recipe for no- knead bread.
I call it Luthier's Bread cuz im a luthier, and its bread.

Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 warm water.

Instructions:
- Mix, cover and leave for 8-24 hours to rise.
- With flour, make into ball (don't knead it) and leave for 30 mins.
- Pre heat oven to 420F, put cooking vessel in (i use a cast iron Dutch Oven).
- Bake for 30 mins with lid on.
- After cooking for 30 mins, either remove lid and bake 2-10 mins more to get the outside more crusty.....or take out of oven for a less "THIS CRUST JUST CUT THE INSIDE OF MY MOUTH!".
I recommend making it a few times and changing the time at the end to see what you like.

NOTE- Im making this at 4500 feet so cooking times might be slightly different (by a few mins) at sea level or if higher.

Last edited:
Those no knead recipes are fun and easy. I normally sub about 1/2 whole wheat flour because I like a more dense loaf, and add some honey. Many of us, including myself, use cast iron Dutch ovens for the baking.

Yeah that kind of bread has become super popular after the Mark Bittman write up in the New York Times based on Jim Leahy's recipe. It is a terrific and super easy way to make a delicious rustic bread with lots of character. You would never believe the results with so little effort.

For anyone needing the recipe, an internet search will yield tons of results (I originally included a NY Times link, but I think they now require a subscription to access)

Last edited:
Yeah that kind of bread has become super popular after the Mark Bittman write up in the New York Times based on Jim Leahy's recipe. It is a terrific and super easy way to make a delicious rustic bread with lots of character. You would never believe the results with so little effort.

For anyone needing the recipe (although an internet search will yield tons of results) https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/11376-no-knead-bread

The recipe is in the video and its description.

This is super easy quick recipe for no- knead bread.
I call it Luthier's Bread cuz im a luthier, and its bread.

Ingredients:
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon yeast
- 1 1/2 warm water.

Instructions:
- Mix, cover and leave for 8-24 hours to rise.
- With flour, make into ball (don't knead it) and leave for 30 mins.
- Pre heat oven to 420F, put cooking vessel in (i use a cast iron Dutch Oven).
- Bake for 30 mins with lid on.
- After cooking for 30 mins, either remove lid and bake 2-10 mins more to get the outside more crusty.....or take out of oven for a less "THIS CRUST JUST CUT THE INSIDE OF MY MOUTH!".
I recommend making it a few times and changing the time at the end to see what you like.

NOTE- Im making this at 4500 feet so cooking times might be slightly different (by a few mins) at sea level or if higher.

Hey Beau, it would have been nice if you had run it through the bandsaw once baked so we could all see the grain structure! I'll give this a go definitely, thanks. Mike

I started using this recipe when I lived in Alamosa, CO, about 50 years ago, and baked bread every 2-3 days. Mixing in left-over cooked oat meal made it even heavier and gave it a different flavor. Using the recipe for biscuits with dried fruit, nuts, and carob chips turned it into Explorer Biscuits for backpacking. I lived off them for days at a time. They were heavy, but I could leave my stove and fuel behind. Most importantly, I never got tired of them when exhaustion ruined my appetite for other food. Back in the house a mix of peanut butter and honey, butter and honey, or peanut butter mixed with mashed banana made the coarse bread a never-ending feast. Those were great days. Poor, but great.

When I saw the title of this thread I knew exactly what this was about. When I retired nearly a year ago a colleague gave me this recipe, which her husband and brothers who normally do no cooking make and call "Man Bread". It is super easy and produces great bread. There is no kneading involved, just a minimal stirring the ingredients together.
After making this recipe a couple of times I decided to take it to the next level and substituted sourdough for yeast according to this recipe.
https://breadtopia.com/sourdough-no-knead-bread/
The sourdough adds a level of complexity to the flavor and is easy to maintain once the culture is started. It has been a big hit with people who have tasted it. I have given culture to family and friends who have in turn passed it on to others. My sourdough culture which I started here in Vermont from a flour and water paste is making bread from California to London UK and points in between.

I highly recommend either recipe. My bread machine is gathering dust This recipe is so much easier and makes better tasting and looking loaves.

This looks good. Thanks!

You've started something now Beau...Is it all right if I make a video of me planting "Luthiers onion sets" at the end of this month :) ???

I posted this bread several years ago and have baked hundreds of loaves since then. I've talked to bakers since then and have learned a great deal about various flours and gluten and it's role. First, King Arthur bread flours are the best. I've found the ideal combination to be 1/3 whole wheat flour, 1/3 bread flour, and 1/3 all purpose flour. Working together they will give you a bread with the right amount of elasticity and air. Bake in parchment paper, makes things so much easier. Finally, bake in a Dutch oven with a lid and preheat it for at least 1/2 hour in as high as your oven will go (550 degrees). Turn temp down to 500 and remove lid for the last 15 min. The book "Flour Water Salt Yeast" is an excellent resource if you really want to get into it.

I posted this bread several years ago and have baked hundreds of loaves since then.

I should/could have called it "Chucks Bread"!- I had wanted to make bread for a while then someone on UU (Suzi?- i think she has a uke of yours chuck) made it, then you made it and that finally pushed me over the edge :)

No, it should be Luther's Bread since it's for folks who don't have any bread and knead to make some dough. Seems fitting. Mike Chock took this bread to a whole 'nuther level though. He'd make a couple of loaves a week and all kind of interesting stuff to it.

This is great. It belongs in the food section now that we have one. I will be making this soon. I am very happy that you didn't cut the bread hot as people do who are ignorant of the consequences of early slicing. You can put it on a wire rack to help it cool off quicker. I don't slice into my bread until it has fully cooled, because that allows the flavor to fully develop. Luke Warm means room temperature.

I love this recipe. It never fails (except for the time when our oven stopped getting above 325 and we had to get a new stove). For the liquid I use beer—has to be lager. I use regular Budweiser.

I also add King Arthur sourdough flavoring.

But here’s a question: @Beau Hannam Ukuleles is using regular yeast, apparently—am I right? I’ve been using instant yeast. Can you use regular yeast (not instant) by just adding it to the dry ingredients?

Last edited:
Top Bottom