Low G Strings

Ian66

Reaction score
Hi,

I have just purchased a Bondi Tenor Uke that came with Aquila Nyglut strings. I want to tune it to Low G and have ordered some Aquila Unwound Low G Red Series - I want some advice on whether I should change all the strings or just the G string?

Thanks,
Ian

Hi,

I have just purchased a Bondi Tenor Uke that came with Aquila Nyglut strings. I want to tune it to Low G and have ordered some Aquila Unwound Low G Red Series - I want some advice on whether I should change all the strings or just the G string?

Thanks,
Ian

I just changed the G on mine.

Change them all if you've got a whole set. The stock strings usually sit on a uke for WAY too long before it's sold. New strings will probably make it sound better.

The red should go well with the existing set. No point to change them until they break or you want to try a different type of string. These strings don't really age if they don't get played.

Change the low G, then play it a bit. If it sounds balanced, leave it, but if not, change the other strings. I stuck an Aquila red series low G on my reso which had Worths on it. It sounded quite balanced, so I left the Worths on C,E and A.

This one comes up quite often. I tried a method I had read about online,and it worked for me.
I used a set of standard Aquila strings and restrung the set as follows:

Low G Tuning Using A Set Of 'High G' Re-entrant Strings:

For G use the C string but tune it ONE FULL OCTAVE LOWER
than the Re-Entrant G You are replacing.

For C use the E string.

For E Use the G string.

For A use the A string

This works fine on Tenor scale (well it did for me!) and on Concert scale.
On Soprano,which is my favourite scale, it varies.I have had it work fine on
some instruments,and not so well on others. Give it a try,all you have to lose
is a bit of your time,and you might like it!

I prefer the Fremont and La Bella pro squeekless wound low g strings.

Top Bottom