Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gifting a Uke

Default Gifting a Uke

I know lots of peeps on here on UU have generously gifted ukes to others so Iím here to ask that you offer some of your thoughts and experiences youíve had while sharing your love of the jumping flea in such a concrete way.

I have a custom mango soprano uke that I would like to give to a member of our local uke circle. The player I have in mind is a shy older gal who has played weekly at our uke meetups for the past three or four years. She currently is playing her original budget soprano uke whose tuners no longer are holding the string tension. I have tried to repair the tuners and it was then that I thought that rather than sell my soprano which I now am not playing much because of having gravitated to tenors, I could give it to this fellow uker to replace her failing instrument.
    Bruko Soprano Thinbody (maple)
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Soprano (hemlock, western maple, pacific yew)
    Lone Tree Tenor (driftwood red cedar, black cherry, western maple)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

Sell it to her for a very modest amount. Like $20. That way she does not feel like it's charity or that she is beholden. Tell her you got a great deal on it and since you know from working on them the tuners are shot on her's, you'd like to pass the deal on to her.

Quote Originally Posted by fretie View Post
    I know lots of peeps on here on UU have generously gifted ukes to others so I’m here to ask that you offer some of your thoughts and experiences you’ve had while sharing your love of the jumping flea in such a concrete way.

I have a custom mango soprano uke that I would like to give to a member of our local uke circle. The player I have in mind is a shy older gal who has played weekly at our uke meetups for the past three or four years. She currently is playing her original budget soprano uke whose tuners no longer are holding the string tension. I have tried to repair the tuners and it was then that I thought that rather than sell my soprano which I now am not playing much because of having gravitated to tenors, I could give it to this fellow uker to replace her failing instrument.
    What you propose is very generous and I hope that you are able to do something for your club mate.

Gifting items to people can sometimes be problematic so it’s best to find your way forward carefully and treat each case individually - no one solution suits all. One way forward would be to let your friend borrow your Uke for a few weeks and then, if she likes it, suggest that you do a swop. You would get the pleasure of seeing your Uke used and have a back-up Soprano (her old one) for when you fancied playing one (replace the machine heads with new at your leisure). She would feel like she had contributed to the deal and wouldn’t have her old Uke taking up space at home, etc.

I gifted an unused Uke to a club member and she played it for a couple more years before personal circumstances stopped her playing; IIRC I ‘loaned’ it to her at first and then said that I didn’t expect to get it back. When she gave up she sought me out and returned the Uke with many thanks, I got hold of her original Soprano Uke and gave it a darn good set-up such that if circumstances allow her return or she wants to play at home then she can and on something that now plays reasonably well.
    Last edited by Graham Greenbag; 03-10-2019 at 08:46 AM.

Some good ideas here, thanks for your suggestions.
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)
    Lone Tree Five String Tenor (cedar/spruce top, hickory sides, koa back, birdseye maple fretboard)

It's a lovely idea! I like the idea of you "loaning it to her" indefinitely instead of selling it to her. She will know it's worth more than a small amount and may refuse the offer of a cheap sale. Or you could just be honest with her and tell her hers is beat and you want to give her one that you never play anymore because you are not playing sopranos now. You could ask her if she'd be willing to take it off your hands and give it a good home.
    Jan >^..^<
    (AKA Chopped Liver)

You say 'Crazy Cat Lady' like it's a bad thing!

"Out of clutter, find simplicity." Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    ..... Or you could just be honest with her and tell her hers is beat and you want to give her one that you never play anymore because you are not playing sopranos now. You could ask her if she'd be willing to take it off your hands and give it a good home.
    Yup, that’s kind of what I was thinking....
    Kamaka Tenor (koa)
    KoAloha Tenor (mango)

Very nice idea. Giving is nice, but accepting can be difficult. The idea of selling it for $20 sounds reasonable.
    Too many ukes, but I can't stop buying!
    https://www.catskillukulelegroup.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Chopped Liver View Post
    It's a lovely idea! I like the idea of you "loaning it to her" indefinitely instead of selling it to her. She will know it's worth more than a small amount and may refuse the offer of a cheap sale. Or you could just be honest with her and tell her hers is beat and you want to give her one that you never play anymore because you are not playing sopranos now. You could ask her if she'd be willing to take it off your hands and give it a good home.
    As an addendum to this idea, you could give it to her with the understanding that it’s a “pay-it-forward”
    Kind of deal. It’s her Uke to do with as she pleases, however, if she ever decides she doesn’t need/want/play it any more she can’t sell it. Instead she should pass it along to the next new player in need of a good instrument.

Scooter
    Tenor Koa Fluke (rosewood fretboard, Pegheds)
    Concert Tie-Dye Flea (rosewood fretboard, Lucy's tuners)
    Soprano Firefly (walnut fretboard, Pegheds)
    Late 40's Martin Style 1 soprano
    Concert Oscar Schmidt Mousekulele
    Tenor Mainland Mahogany Slothead
    Concert Eddy Finn Moon and Stars

"The way I see it as soon as a baby is born, he should be issued a Ukulele."
    ~Linus Van Pelt~

This is just me, but I would just offer give her the uke and tell her that it is better than the one she has. Tell her you don't want it anymore. I don't like playing games and trying to trick her into taking it by selling it to her. She will take it or she will decline. It is really up to her. As Jerry says, sometimes accepting can be difficult, and that is especially true if someone is trying to give them something they don't want. That's my opinion on it.
    Last edited by Rllink; 03-10-2019 at 04:42 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

I just want everyone to understand that I am not a ukulele expert, even though it may look at times like I'm pretending to be.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

I have to revise my opinion and agree that telling her that her ukulele is shot, and offering your custom mango; one you no longer play, as a replacement. It's a better option than selling it to her for a token price.

The only caveat is be prepared for her to get prickly about accepting "charity." It's a cultural and a generational thing.

Thread Information