NGD.....Cordoba Cadete

DownUpDave

UU VIP
UU VIP
Reaction score
I am enjoying playing both steel string and nylon string guitars. The Cordoba C10 crossover I have is a full size instrument and I wanted to try something a bit smaller. The C10 is all solid spruce and rosewood and I don't want to travel with it so a smaller less expensive guitar was in order.

The Cordoba Cadete is a 3/4 classical guitar size with solid cedar top and laminated mahogany B&S. A 24" scale length is about 1-1/2" shorter than standard, the body width, length and depth are all reduced to 3/4 size. It is very comfortable to play and easy to move around the fretboard, nut width is 48mm=1/7/8". I bought it used so no worries about travelling with it to the cottage, camping and friends places.

It really does have a nice sweet full tone that compares favorably to the C10 which costs 3X as much. Below are pictures, including a line up for size, far left is my Taylor GS mini, the Cadete is identical in over all length.

file1.jpgfile6.jpg20190301_113502.jpgfile.jpg20190306_193952(0).jpg

Last edited:
Nice addition Dave. I’m liking my short scale guitar too. I find that the smaller body is easier on my back.

Congratulations my friend! Great addition to your ever-growing collection of big ukuleles with six strings… ;)

The early Cadetes had no truss rod. They added that later. I hope you got one with a truss rod -- comes in handy on VERY rare occasions.

Does it give you a tummy massage on the bass strings?

I almost bought a Cadete but ended up with a Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra CE CD/IN Acoustic/Electric Nylon String. I love it. The pick-up is a combo piezo & mic, with a blend control. Now you have re-aroused my interest in a Cadete. It has a great reputation at acousticguitarforum.com & is a real bargain at used prices. It's odd that Cordoba makes really excellent guitars but only so-so ukes.

Nice addition Dave. I’m liking my short scale guitar too. I find that the smaller body is easier on my back.

Thanks Adam, it's not an expensive instrument but has a very good sound. Much better than some other brands of small guitars

The early Cadetes had no truss rod. They added that later. I hope you got one with a truss rod -- comes in handy on VERY rare occasions.

Does it give you a tummy massage on the bass strings?

I almost bought a Cadete but ended up with a Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra CE CD/IN Acoustic/Electric Nylon String. I love it. The pick-up is a combo piezo & mic, with a blend control. Now you have re-aroused my interest in a Cadete. It has a great reputation at acousticguitarforum.com & is a real bargain at used prices. It's odd that Cordoba makes really excellent guitars but only so-so ukes.

I did get one with a truss rod, it is only one year old, used but in excellent shape so I did get a deal on it. I didn't know you had a Cordoba Fusion they are great instruments, I played one in a music store. I have heard great things about their blend pick up system.

How is the Cadete's bass end?

Hey, be careful in Mexico. Say hello to Aunt Joan (Tia Juana) for me. (^_^)

The bass end is very good. Not as deep as my C10 but that is full size and solid wood rosewood back. The 24" scale length is long enough to drive the top for good string tension to give a tummy massage

Hi, Dave! Congrats on nice guitar! It looks like Mexican guitarrón in your guitalele collection. I like Cordoba guitar too.

ZZtush, I never knew the name of those big bodied Mexican guitars. I have been educated, the one you circled in my line up is a Cordoba C10 crossover. Spruce and rosewood, all solid woods and sounds beautiful.

Hey, Bro, I’m surprised at you. I thought you were a collector of many terrific ukes — only! I looked up to your fervent ukuleleism. I was almost tempted to learn (and try to remember) chords.

Ahhh well, everything changes I guess . . . Next comes Electric Guitars, and then Bagpipes or some other darned thang.
:eek:ld:

Hey, Bro, I’m surprised at you. I thought you were a collector of many terrific ukes — only! I looked up to your fervent ukuleleism. I was almost tempted to learn (and try to remember) chords.

Ahhh well, everything changes I guess . . . Next comes Electric Guitars, and then Bagpipes or some other darned thang.
:eek:ld:

Hey brother Dick the uke is still alive and well in my house holds. But BAGPIPES.........oh yea that would be something:biglaugh:

Hey brother Dick the uke is still alive and well in my house holds. But BAGPIPES.........oh yea that would be something:biglaugh:
Q: What do you call 100 bagpipes thrown into the ocean?
A: A good start.

But seriously... all the YouTube Demos of the Cadete are finger-picking. How does the Cadete sound when strummed hard?

Q: What do you call 100 bagpipes thrown into the ocean?
A: A good start.

But seriously... all the YouTube Demos of the Cadete are finger-picking. How does the Cadete sound when strummed hard?

Ok this will be total blasphemy but I LOVE the sound of this strummed with a pick!!!!! Yes I said it a pick, good enough for Willie Nelson good enough for me. It is good with finger strumming too but really comes alive with a medium gauge .60-.73 pick

One of the reasons I bought this was to take camping and sit around the campfire with friends and sing songs, this requires strumming

I am singing the praises of this guitar as others have. But remember this retails for $280 new and doesn't sound as good as a $1000 Classical guitar. It does sound very good, no real weakness and way better than anything I have played in this category at over twice the price. In this size nothing else comes close.

Last edited:
Ok this will be total blasphemy but I LOVE the sound of this strummed with a pick!!!!! Yes I said it a pick, good enough for Willie Nelson good enough for me. It is good with finger strumming too but really comes alive with a medium gauge .60-.73 pick

One of the reasons I bought this was to take camping and sit around the campfire with friends and sing songs, this requires strumming

I am singing the praises of this guitar as others have. But remember this retails for $280 new and doesn't sound as good as a $1000 Classical guitar. It does sound very good, no real weakness and way better than anything I have played in this category at over twice the price. In this size nothing else comes close.

The Dummies for Ukulele book says one should never use a pick to strum a uke, but, if one insists, the pick shouldn’t be larger than .50 mm — just sayin’ . . . I use between .38 mm and .50 mms on my ol’ Aquilas, but I don’t strum wid ‘em. I use my ol’ wrinkled fingers for strumin’.

I just thought you’d like to know. If not, go back to the beginning of this post and don’t read it. :eek:ld:

I just purchased a kremona s58c 3/4 size classical guitar 2 weeks ago, and liked it so much that I sold my full scale classical guitar. With good strings it has a full wonderful sound. It has a 580mm scale.

Top Bottom