NGD.....Cordoba Cadete

The Dummies for Ukulele book says one should never use a pick to strum a uke, but, if one insists, the pick shouldn’t be larger than .50 mm — just sayin’ . . . I use between .38 mm and .50 mms on my ol’ Aquilas, but I don’t strum wid ‘em. I use my ol’ wrinkled fingers for strumin’.

I just thought you’d like to know. If not, go back to the beginning of this post and don’t read it. :eek:ld:

Rules were meant to be broken.

Besides this is a guitar and not a ukulele so none of that stuff applies.:p

As I said if Willie Nelson can strum a nylon string guitar with a pick then so can I.............just not as well as him

I just purchased a kremona s58c 3/4 size classical guitar 2 weeks ago, and liked it so much that I sold my full scale classical guitar. With good strings it has a full wonderful sound. It has a 580mm scale.

That is wonderful, congratulations. I have heard really good things about Kremona guitars and their ukuleles as well. I am glad to hear you are enjoying so much you sold your full size guitar. Unfortunately up here in Canada there are no Kermona or dealers for them

Rules were meant to be broken.

Besides this is a guitar and not a ukulele so none of that stuff applies.:p

As I said if Willie Nelson can strum a nylon string guitar with a pick then so can I.............just not as well as him

Rules are made to be broken??? Anarchy! Anarchy! Anarchy!

I thought it might be a steel strung guitar, but once a post is writ it cannot be unwrit — Amen! :eek:ld:

Thanks Joseph you can play it when you come up for a visit this spring
This thread has given me a bad case of GAS!

I'm torn between the Cordoba & the Kremona 3/4 size.

@ DownUpDave -- please tell me the depth of the lower bout at the end pin.

@ dcuttler -- same request.

This thread has given me a bad case of GAS!

I'm torn between the Cordoba & the Kremona 3/4 size.

@ DownUpDave -- please tell me the depth of the lower bout at the end pin.

@ dcuttler -- same request.

Haha, the GAS and UAS never stop.

The depth of the Cadete at lower bout is 3-1/2"

Haha, the GAS and UAS never stop.

The depth of the Cadete at lower bout is 3-1/2"
10Q Dave! I wanted this stat for comparison with Cordoba's C2 Parlor size, nylon string guitar. FYI, the Parlor's "key" numerical stats are:

Body Depth Lower Bout:3 3/4"
Scale Length: 24 3/4"
Nut Width: 2"

For me, the 2" (50MM) nut is a deal killer, versus the Cordy's 1.89" (48MM). Yep, for some items, size DOES matter. :rolleyes:

The Dummies for Ukulele book says one should never use a pick to strum a uke, but, if one insists, the pick shouldn’t be larger than .50 mm — just sayin’ . . . I use between .38 mm and .50 mms on my ol’ Aquilas, but I don’t strum wid ‘em. I use my ol’ wrinkled fingers for strumin’.

I just thought you’d like to know. If not, go back to the beginning of this post and don’t read it. :eek:ld:

I don't use anything under a .73 on my ukes and go up to over 1MM if using one for bluegrass on a uke or guitar. Never have broken a string or damaged a uke yet and I pick pretty aggressively. I've been pickin' a long time though, I trust those just starting to pick use a thinner one. Really tough to double pick with a thin one.

Nice buy Dave, Congrats..

Hey Patrick I am a fan of medium to thick picks as well. Usually from .73 to 1.3, the .88mm Dunlop Ultex is my go to pick for most uses. Thanks for the congrats on the Cadete. It is a fun guitar and I am deep down the rabbit hole of string experimentation........you know me can't leave well enough alone.

Downupdave came over with this guitar today. My oh My....it sounds very nice. The bass that comes out of this guitar is pretty impressive. You just can't beat that fuller size body. I asked Dave to put me on his wait list. I will buy it off him when he gets bored with it. Here is a photo of Dave. Don't you agree this is just the right size for him?

Sorry for the side way photo. I really don't know what happened. If I use a different method of attaching it, he will show up huge on your screen. I don't want to ruin his image on UU so I will let you use your imagination or tilt your head .:D

IMG_9625.jpg

Hi, Dave! Cordoba Cadeta looks very nice with you. :))

There are many difference between nylon and steel guitars. One of them is head stock. Even both of them are slotted, the shafts are different. Yours is definitely a great nylon string guitar.

Interesting, I linked into here from a more recent thread. The last few years I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a classical guitar again, and the Cadete has pretty much been my top choice most of that time. The 3/4 size just feels right. Haven’t been shopping for a long time though and maybe all my soprano playing will warm me up to the Requinto. Did you ever try that one? Any thoughts? The Mini IIs seem like too much compromise considering it won’t travel.

Interesting, I linked into here from a more recent thread. The last few years I’ve been toying with the idea of getting a classical guitar again, and the Cadete has pretty much been my top choice most of that time. The 3/4 size just feels right. Haven’t been shopping for a long time though and maybe all my soprano playing will warm me up to the Requinto. Did you ever try that one? Any thoughts? The Mini IIs seem like too much compromise considering it won’t travel.

I really thought the Requinto would be the one I would get. The slightly smaller size appealed to me coming from ukulele. Two things swayed me away from it, lack of reviews and more importantly real life comparison from a long distance friend. She owns both and said the Requinto is not that much smaller (check the Cordoba website for dimensions) and the sound of the Cadete was much better. As my luthier friend says "You can't fight physics", smaller equals smaller sound. Especially when it comes to scale length, the Cadete at 24" has enough to give decent string tension to drive the top for good sound.

Bottom line is I can say if you buy the Cadete you will not be dissapointed in the sound for a smallish guitar. My friend Adam came over with his $3000 custom build classical and played my Cadete, he said it was suprisingly good for the size.

I really thought the Requinto would be the one I would get. The slightly smaller size appealed to me coming from ukulele. Two things swayed me away from it, lack of reviews and more importantly real life comparison from a long distance friend. She owns both and said the Requinto is not that much smaller (check the Cordoba website for dimensions) and the sound of the Cadete was much better. As my luthier friend says "You can't fight physics", smaller equals smaller sound. Especially when it comes to scale length, the Cadete at 24" has enough to give decent string tension to drive the top for good sound.

Bottom line is I can say if you buy the Cadete you will not be dissapointed in the sound for a smallish guitar. My friend Adam came over with his $3000 custom build classical and played my Cadete, he said it was suprisingly good for the size.

Thanks Dave, seems like all signs point to Cadete, especially since it's at my price point too. It's a bit of a Goldilocks size for me, kind of like the way I feel about the size of a Concert ukulele. Except, unlike the Concert ukulele, there's no Mini Guitar sound that I just have to have instead! :)

Thanks Dave, seems like all signs point to Cadete, especially since it's at my price point too. It's a bit of a Goldilocks size for me, kind of like the way I feel about the size of a Concert ukulele. Except, unlike the Concert ukulele, there's no Mini Guitar sound that I just have to have instead! :)

My pleasure. I was close to buying the Mini II but I am glad I got the Cadete instead. If you read this post you know I have a Cordoba C10 full size crossover classical guitar. With all solid spruce and rosewood it sounds great, two experienced players have even said that. When I play the Cadete against the C10 I am not dissappointed or feel the need to throw up because of the sound:p. I really do like the size, small enough to be comfortable, big enough to sound good.

The entire Cordoba line of guitars is very highly regarded at The Acoustic Guitar Forum. To me, it's a mystery as to why their ukuleles are just so-so.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Although it's a bit larger than a Cadete, I love my Cordoba Fusion 12 Orchestra CE CD/IN Acoustic/Electric Nylon String guitar. Key size elements (from a uke player's viewpoint):
  • Scale Length: 650mm (25.6")
  • Nut Width: 48mm (1 7/8")
If you sometimes play to larger rooms, the electronics are superb...
Dual pick-ups: piezo and microphone. They can be played separately of blended.

By the way, if you're at a venue & take a break, keep this Cordy with you or well-guarded. I neglected that caution & was lucky that a bartender stopped a girl, just as she opened an exit door with my Cordy in hand. She "just wanted to try it out for a few minutes." Of couse.................... :rolleyes:

I plan to acquire a used Cadete when I run across a good deal, price-wise & condition-wise.

Last edited:
Hi dave

Just wondering if you stayed with the stock strings? I tried the Córdoba Cadete in a local store and when strummed (finger not pick) it sounded a little muddy. I ended up gravitating to even cheaper instruments but wonder if a string change would have better note separation. This instrument had been unpacked that day so not old strings. Wonderful when finger picked.

Hi dave

Just wondering if you stayed with the stock strings? I tried the Córdoba Cadete in a local store and when strummed (finger not pick) it sounded a little muddy. I ended up gravitating to even cheaper instruments but wonder if a string change would have better note separation. This instrument had been unpacked that day so not old strings. Wonderful when finger picked.

I answered your question in the thread you started before I saw this. I can honestly say that with Savarez or D’Addario high tension florocarbon strings it is a different instrument. It is loud and bright sounding, I strum with fingers and a pick, with a pick it is even better.

I just grabbed it and strummed it with fingers, yup nice bright and articulate. I really like the sound of this instrument and I have a Cordoba C10 which is all solid spruce and rosewood and cost 4X as much.

Awesome thank you, sorry to cross post. I thought they were slightly different questions - generic vs specific - but thanks for answering in both.

Top Bottom