Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

Some of my least favorite records came out during the timespan here...and I promise to bring something I truly think is sick and wrong this week, but for now I give you one of my favorite records of all time. Stiff Little Fingers Alternative Ulster. First time I heard Jake Burns yelling this, I was completely bowled over.
Got to meet him on my 22nd birthday (which is now 24 years ago), and I will never forget how great they sounded playing this in their mid forties.
I do not sound as good in mine.

From one of my favorite albums of 1975...Blood on the tracks. Art is some of my old paintings.

Here's an interesting song that went to #13 on the country charts for Bob Luman in 1977. He's one of my all time favorite singers, who died tragically at age 41 in 1978. I really miss landlines and pay phones. I kept this take cause Rayna assisted me with it.

Kenniski Rogeroff who had a love for the tango and minor keys
Recorded "Ludmilla" in the Ukraine in the 1960's. He then hijacked
an Aeroflot plane and flew it to Cuba, and from there he made
his way to Miami, and once in the USA he changed his name
to Kenny Rogers and in 1977 we recorded Ludmilla as a waltz
and as a tip of the hat to his new adopted country he changed
the name of the song to Lucille.

Last edited:
Kenniski Rogeroff who had a love for the tango and minor keys
Recorded "Ludmilla" in the Ukraine in the 1960's. He then hijacked
an Aeroflot plane and flew it to Cuba, and from there he made
his way to Miami, and once in the USA he changed his name
to Kenny Rogers and in 1977 we recorded Ludmilla as a waltz
and as a tip of the hat to his new adopted country he changed
the name of the song to Lucille.

On a motorcycle tour of Spain nearly 20 years ago, I made an enormous diversion from our planned route, simply so I could send a postcard home (postcards? Remember them?) that opened with the line "I'm in a bar in Toledo, not far from the depot..." :)

Hi folks! Day One (plus) brought us 16 entries. Great efforts all around! Please keep them coming!

On a motorcycle tour of Spain nearly 20 years ago, I made an enormous diversion from our planned route, simply so I could send a postcard home (postcards? Remember them?) that opened with the line "I'm in a bar in Toledo, not far from the depot..." :)

Memories are made of this... nice one. I bet the person who got the card was impressed.
Oh to be drunk in New York city and send out a postcard on Christmas eve.
It was Christmas Eve babe
In the drunk tank
An old man said to me, won't see another one
And then he sang a song

Oh Rick, you're playing right into my hands here - slap bang in the middle of some of my most musically active years (watching & listening, at least). I set off to university in 1978, having grown up miles from any live music. And then there I was at Leeds University, which appeared on the tour schedule of pretty well every band going around the UK at that time. My first year studies included The Ramones, The Clash, Elvis Costello, The Jam, Buzzcocks, Siouxsee & The Banshees, and many many more.
But back to the day I arrived there, and this song was on the radio. Whenever I hear it, I can see my room, the view from the window, and hear the doors of the other rooms opening & closing as the other new starters turned up. Strangely though, I didn't see Blondie until 2016!

Unlike me, my older brother John was always a bit of a non-conformist, and when the punk movement happened in the late 1970s he latched onto it big time - it was the perfect vehicle for his rebellious teenage tendencies. We shared a bedroom and some of the records he played at full volume sounded like nothing more than sheer noise and drove me to distraction. However, some of the milder punk stuff he liked I actually became quite fond of (though I’d never admit that to him at the time!), and Buzzcocks certainly fell into that category. This one they released in 1979 and was a lot of fun to play just now:

A 1977 song from Suzy and the Red Stripes. I added vibraphone and xylophone.
BTW, that's my new Kala Tenor Travel Uke I bought in Hawaii!

Here’s a lesser-known T.Rex song from 1977 - probably written just a few months before the untimely and tragic death of Marc Bolan.

We interrupt this Season to show off the amazing gift Linda (turtledrum) sent me: Felix! (needs better strings, but can't wait to play him!)

:D

felix.jpg

I've been working on this for a little while and magically it fits this season. So I couldn't stop myself.

OK, I've been humbled by how much passion y'all have brought so far. Be sure you don't miss Rex here. I get lightheaded just trying to keep up with him and I'm not doing anything ...

Yes, she is! A real treasure.

Special thanks to you both, Rick and Del, for those kind kind words! And Rick, I'm so so glad that your gift has arrived and that you like it! I thought about all those vids of yours with your beautiful cat stealing the show, and so...... :) May you and Felix spend lots of fun quality time in days to come! :) Linda

For me, this was always just a Joe Stampley song that I liked to sing along with on the radio. But when I looked it up, I found that it had a long history of being recorded since it was written in 1962. It was covered many times, by artists such as Dusty Springfield, the Bee Gees, Ike and Tina Turner, and Johnny Rivers. The guy who wrote it finally recorded it himself in 1975 but it only made it #45 on the country chart. Joe Stampley had the biggest hit with it, making it to #14 on the country chart.

All the overdubbed instrumental parts were with my electric Vorson tenor. I also used a finger slide for one part.

Top Bottom