Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

The Clash wrote and released this one in 1979, commenting on recent events in England. The lyrics remain applicable today, to situations all over the world.

IT'S A WRAP! School's out ... forever! Season 369 is officially closed, and you all graduated with honors.

I'll have a wrap-up soon with comments and prize winners, but thank you, everyone, for making this a very special week. You may flip your tassels.

Really sorry I couldn't make it, Rick. I was going to share my tale of visiting UNC, Chapel Hill, 30-odd years ago, too. :(

IT'S A WRAP! School's out ... forever! Season 369 is officially closed, and you all graduated with honors.

I'll have a wrap-up soon with comments and prize winners, but thank you, everyone, for making this a very special week. You may flip your tassels.
Flip our tassels? :eek: Is that an American expression Rick? Sounds vaguely rude to me :D

Thanks for an enjoyable season in any case

Flip our tassels? :eek: Is that an American expression Rick? Sounds vaguely rude to me :D

Thanks for an enjoyable season in any case

Yeah it's a reference to the tassel on that weird graduation hat, which is called a mortarboard(?) for some reason. Anyway, you walk down the aisle with the tassel hanging to the left, I think? And then when they hand you your diploma, you flip the tassel over to the right side. Or maybe it's on the right and you flip it left. Anyway, that's what it is.

Yeah it's a reference to the tassel on that weird graduation hat, which is called a mortarboard(?) for some reason. Anyway, you walk down the aisle with the tassel hanging to the left, I think? And then when they hand you your diploma, you flip the tassel over to the right side. Or maybe it's on the right and you flip it left. Anyway, that's what it is.
Thanks Alan. Everyday is an education on UU :D. I would imagine it’s called a mortarboard because it looks like a plasterer’s mortarboard or hawk.

Yes, correct on both counts. I’m never certain what traditions apply outside the US, so my bad.

And Paul, I’m all ears ... :uhoh:

Time to wrap it up!

Thank you to everyone who entered, commented, watched, and participated in a wonderful season.

If I counted correctly, we had 72 entries from 39 Seasonistas (including collabs).

Every one was wonderful, but I had to select one performance as above and beyond: Jazzbanjorex for "Don't Stop Me Now." Explanation in the video. Rex, send me your coordinates, and I'll send a North Carolina Tar Heels magnet your way.

I couldn't choose among the others, so I picked at random. The other "winners" are:

• pabrizzer (Brian)
• Harry122 (Randy)
• uke4ia (Jim)

Again, please PM your terrestrial coordinates to me (I may have had them but in case I did and no longer do), and you may choose among three North Carolina Tar Heel goodies: A coffee mug, a refrigerator magnet, or a keychain.

Let me know and one will be headed your way.

Thank you again for such a fun and meaningful week. Now back to Geoff's Almost-Top-of-the-Heap goodness!

Cheers --
Rick

Fun Season! Thanks for the random drawing! School days were great for me, the fourth grade was the best three years of my life! (RL address on the way!)

Great season Rick - thanks so much for all your efforts! Congrats to the winners! :)

Greeting
Great season. Congratulations to winners and thanks to our wonderful host. I’ve been traveling for new job and I sorely miss the vid time. Will try to do better to listen and participate.

Ciao

Thank you, Rick! I'll send you a PM. It was a fun Season, and I wish I'd had the energy to do a couple more songs.

Just caught your wrap, Rick ... thanks for a great Season! (Have to admit, I thought our dog had turned into a ventriloquist when yours started barking ... it was particularly odd, as she appeared to be lying on the floor completely comatose at the time!) Congrats to the winners, and respect to Rex for his Queen rendition.

My Tar Heel refrigerator magnet just arrived! It's awesome, thanks!

Thanks for hosting Rick! Great season, and I honestly believe there are hundreds of songs from this era that I like and would like to learn some day!

Top Bottom