Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

Default Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

Welcome to Season 369 of the Ukulele!

The theme: A few weeks from now I’ll celebrate the 40th anniversary of my graduation from the University of North Carolina.

So the theme this week: My Old School Daze.

I want to hear songs from the years I was in college: 1975 – 1979.

Any song written or recorded from Jan. 1, 1975 – December 31, 1979 qualifies, so you have a lot to work with.

Originals are welcome. Trends you recall from that period? Something special you want to recount? Have at it.

Please watch and comment on others’ videos. We really appreciate it.

Because our Raleigh Uke Jam has a big date at a local street fair this week, and I’m in charge of keeping the gig together (what were they thinking?), I’m going to place a three-song limit for now, which I may waive if time allows.

But wait! There’s more!

Yes, since we haven’t had a season commemorating Rami Malek’s fantastic, award-winning performance as Freddie Mercury in Bohemian Rhapsody, I’ll add an extra song.

If you want to play another song, bring me anything from Queen. You don't have to reach the three-song '70s threshold to bring some Queen.

So, up to three songs from my old school days, one from Queen. And there will be prizes, most likely University of North Carolina paraphernalia.

1) Starts at 00:01 Sunday March 10 Hawaiian time; ends at 23:59 Sunday March 17.

2) The ukulele should be featured, but you can supplement with other instruments.

3) Collaborations are welcome.

4) Entries must be original for this season and should indicate Season 369 in the video or on the post.

5) Unless I waive the song limit, please put extras on the Island.

Remember, pa's terrific, naysaying Season 368 continues!

Thank you for listening, enjoy the season, and go Tar Heels!

PLAYLIST
    Last edited by hendulele; 03-09-2019 at 11:21 AM.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

GREAT era of music here!!!!!!!! so much to choose from! i'll try and bring songs that were big in MY school days (primary and just into secondary school, for the years in question) here in the UK. some truly fabulous songs loomed really large back then! long story short - YAY!!!!!
    lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Thanks, lynda!! I look forward to what you'll bring this week!
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

At last! An excuse to do a ukulele version of "Convoy"!
    Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    5) Unless I waive the song limit, please put extras on the Island.
    Sorry for the newbie question but I’ve seen references to the island before, but I don’t know what that means. Can someone please enlighten me?
    Big Phil

Moore Bettah 55 VW Tenor
    Ko'Aloha Soprano
    Kanilea K1 Tenor Premium
    Kanilea Concert Hono Premium
    Pono Acacia Baritone
    Gold Tone Concert Banjolele
    Alida Archtop Electric Tenor
    Kala UBass
    Ko'Aloha Sceptre Tenor
    Philnominal Ukuleles Walnut Tenor
    Islander Guitalele

Quote Originally Posted by bigphil View Post
    Sorry for the newbie question but I’ve seen references to the island before, but I don’t know what that means. Can someone please enlighten me?
    There's an on going thread call the "Island of Misfit Seasonistas" where people are welcome to post songs they've been working on that don't fit the season but they've been dying to share, or Do fit the season but they've already exceeded the song limit.

Great theme Rick!
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Sorry, Rick........ but I may be too old to remember that far back ...... it's alright for these mere youngsters......primary school indeed!
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Only one place to start for me. Sex Pistols

Such is the power of this theme I've already recorded my three songs Rick. Do you want them in a job lot or spread through the week?
    "Even on a cloudy day, I'll keep my eyes fixed on the sun"

"But I heard voices, Not in the head, out in the air, they called to me. Through record speakers, through thick and thin, they found a shelter, beneath my skin"

Crystal Gayle 1977
    HyperBob says: Scottish steel and Irish fire, that's the weapon I desire
    My Youtube Ukulele channel
    My Youtube Gardening channel

This was a new one (to me) I found today.A John Prine from 1978.A three chord and the truther.
    Warning. I've learned to crop and zoom on my video software.So there a couple of gratuitous big noggin close ups!
    A clever theme Rick.A nice amount of limitation I reckon.

Thread Information