Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

A 1977 song from Suzy and the Red Stripes. I added vibraphone and xylophone.
    BTW, that's my new Kala Tenor Travel Uke I bought in Hawaii!

Randy - Harry122

Here’s a lesser-known T.Rex song from 1977 - probably written just a few months before the untimely and tragic death of Marc Bolan.

We interrupt this Season to show off the amazing gift Linda (turtledrum) sent me: Felix! (needs better strings, but can't wait to play him!)

felix.jpg
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Default 369-1

I've been working on this for a little while and magically it fits this season. So I couldn't stop myself.

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    We interrupt this Season to show off the amazing gift Linda (turtledrum) sent me: Felix! (needs better strings, but can't wait to play him!)

felix.jpg
    Linda gives great prizes! Such a generous host in every way!

Quote Originally Posted by DelGriff View Post
    Linda gives great prizes! Such a generous host in every way!
    Yes, she is! A real treasure.
    Martin C1K • Vintage 'Mauna Loa' c. 1925 soprano • Famous by Kiwaya FS-1 <yippee!!> • Ohana CK-50WG concert (solid cedar top) • Ohana SK-28 ‘Nunes’ <suh-weet> • Ohana SK-35G solid mahogany soprano <yay!!> • Firefly maple concert banjolele <yee-haw!> • Flea koa soprano • Makala MK-CE concert • Kahuna "Felix the Cat" soprano • Woodrow "Steelers" soprano <eyeroll>

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by Jazzbanjorex View Post
    I've been working on this for a little while and magically it fits this season. So I couldn't stop myself.

OK, I've been humbled by how much passion y'all have brought so far. Be sure you don't miss Rex here. I get lightheaded just trying to keep up with him and I'm not doing anything ...

Raleigh Uke Jam:

My YouTube page

Quote Originally Posted by hendulele View Post
    Yes, she is! A real treasure.

Special thanks to you both, Rick and Del, for those kind kind words! And Rick, I'm so so glad that your gift has arrived and that you like it! I thought about all those vids of yours with your beautiful cat stealing the show, and so...... May you and Felix spend lots of fun quality time in days to come! Linda

For me, this was always just a Joe Stampley song that I liked to sing along with on the radio. But when I looked it up, I found that it had a long history of being recorded since it was written in 1962. It was covered many times, by artists such as Dusty Springfield, the Bee Gees, Ike and Tina Turner, and Johnny Rivers. The guy who wrote it finally recorded it himself in 1975 but it only made it #45 on the country chart. Joe Stampley had the biggest hit with it, making it to #14 on the country chart.

All the overdubbed instrumental parts were with my electric Vorson tenor. I also used a finger slide for one part.

Never mind the words, just hum along and keep on going...

YouTube UkeintheHeartofTexas

a homemade song for the season, inspired by the long hot summer of '76 - we'd never had it so hot, here in the UK! (well, not since dinosaurs roamed these lands!)

lynda

doth mother know you weareth her drapes?

Thread Information