Season 369: My Old School Daze .. PLUS

Ok, please excuse me for this total bubble gum pop number. I remember this one from 1971, it was a huge hit for Melanie. I looked her up, and she was a total hippy chick, but with some major street cred...she played at Woodstock! IMO, it's a fun tune, but sorry I can't hit that high note, but then...I'm not Melanie, I'm a guy :)

Apparently, there was some controversy about perceived sexual innuendo in this song (key/lock, goes pretty far, been around the world), and it was banned on radio in some places. Pretty innocent by today's standards, eh? She said that when she wrote this, she had just ended a 20+ day fast, and while passing a McDonalds, got a whiff and went in for the whole deal...burger, fries and shake. The smells, foods and whole experience flooded her mind with thoughts of childhood...bikes, roller skates etc, and the song just popped into her head. Maybe I should try Mickey D's tomorrow? :D

Last edited:
Ok, please excuse me for this total bubble gum pop number. I remember this one from 1971, it was a huge hit for Melanie. I looked her up, and she was a total hippy chick, but with some major street cred...she played at Woodstock! IMO, it's a fun tune, but sorry I can't hit that high note, but then...I'm not Melanie, I'm a guy :)

Melanie Safka. She's still active nowadays. melaniesafka.com. I remember going to a huge concert of hers at the RPI Fieldhouse when I was in Junior High. Want some great music? Look for her version of "Wild Horses", and also "Lay Down (Candles in the Rain)", a song about Woodstock.

-Kurt​

third song from me, another homemade-y. in 1977 a class of children in broad haven, south wales, said they saw a UFO near their school playground. this song is for every kid anywhere, who ever saw, or thinks they saw, such a thing...

Thanks for hosting and for a great theme Rick. Honestly, there are hundreds of songs I would love to learn from this era. From the Film "The Last Waltz" This is Bob Dylan's "I Shall Be Released" Special thanks to my brother Jon Duncan for joining me and making this wonderful clip as well!

Well, considering the video posted by Kevin and Jon just above this, I guess you could say we're going from the sublime to the ridiculous!

For Season of the Ukulele 369, we're playing songs from 1973-1979. Here's "I Am the Fly" by the band Wire, with Brian on concert ukulele and lead vocal, and Borfus on the Ashbory Bass and harmony vocal. The original song dates from 1978.

from the ridiculous to the trough :p
this, another from Kev and I recorded today
from Dylan's Slow Train Coming LP (1979)

From 1978’s Police debut album, Outlandos D’Amour. Was lucky enough to see them 78 or 79 (memory fail) at Digbeth Civic Hall, in Birmingham. Great venue, no seats, all sweat and jumping about like crazy mad loons, and a few skin heads in the audience just to keep you on your toes. They were on fire and it was shortly before they went stratospheric and started playing arenas and stadiums. I love the Police. For those first two albums alone. And in Stuart Copeland they had, to my mind, one of the best rock and pop drummers of all time.

Year 1976 and Waltzing Queen: "The Millionaire Waltz" by Freddie Mercury. Shortened version, again with the House Cat - he knows that I need all possible help when I try to "sing".

Hey...you allow strangers around here????? I had 10 minutes before the kids go home so I am trying to sneak one in.

I don't think a season from this era would be complete without this song. One of my all-time faves (yes another one!) - the piano intro on the original is fabulous and has been my mobile (cell) phone ringtone for as long as I can remember.

Written by Bob Geldof and Johnnie Fingers about the 1979 Cleveland Elementary School shooting in San Diego.

Ugh. The little cherubs I work with gave me the Black Death, and I musta tried about a million songs and just don’t have the air for much... so I settled on getting in Melissa’s way and phoning one in with this gem from 1976. I did not learn to like (love) this band until the seasons, for someone played something I heard and I was hooked, it had always been my thing to ignore what was on the radio when I was a kid. Anyway- I love his song, and totally stuffed the second verse...I figure a kitchen session is always amusing right?

i was listening to john fahey's Hamburg '78 concert today -
all it did was make me want to play
this, an improvised recording with two baritone ukuleles in open D

Last edited:
Wow! I'm running behind, folks and sorry for the delays and silence.

The Raleigh Uke Jam's gig was last night at the Raleigh Night Market. It's a once-monthly street festival in a historic district of town with local vendors and some entertainment. Some 85 vendors displayed their wares and several thousand people attended. We had a great time and the significant other of one of our players took this shot. Yours truly attempted to lead, but really I was standing on the shoulders of everyone else.

I'll catch up as the day goes along. Please keep them coming, and thanks for your patience and passion!

Rick

night-market-march19.jpg

Greetings,

I got one in - yeah! Well once again I haven't listened to vids, that's Saturday morning activity. See you all tomorrow. Sister Golden Hair from America was one of my favorite sing along songs.

:)

Top Bottom