Aquila AG x AQ Tenor Ukulele Strings

UkuleleLadyT

Reaction score
I just put some Aldrine Aquila's on my new Aldrine Kanile’a and I love them. However, I really want this ukulele to be a low g. Can anyone give me a recommendation for a single low g string that might go well with this set? I prefer non-wound to wound, but open to any. Thanks!

Hi UkuleleLadyT, I absolutely understand your preference for non-wound strings. I don‘t like the feel of the wound strings myself. And that‘s not just because of the fingering noises. It‘s the whole feel of a wound string, I can‘t warm up to. And they tend to wear off quite fast, as well.

However, I seriously recommend to try the flatwound low g set for tenor ukes by Pepe Romero Jr. The low g string is a flatwound one, or maybe rather a ground one. I‘m not quite sure here. But I‘m sure or rather know very well, that the low g string is a real winner. It‘s not as fat or wobbly as some non-wound strings tend to be (for example the brown low g string from Worth), you don‘t hear any fingering noises at all, and it‘s much more durable than the regular wound strings.

I have them on three different ukes now: on a soprano, a concert and two tenors, and I played one of the tenors very regular for about a year and a half, and it‘s still ok - that means, still no immediate need to change it. No sign of the wound wire to wear off.

I‘d give it a try. Although I‘m not sure if the low g string is available separately. Maybe you‘ll have to buy a full set.

I also generally dislike wound strings, but my wife recently tried a Freemont Soloist Polished Wound Low G, and it is pretty nice. Because it is polished, it is much smoother than most wound strings I have tried and it doesn't do the "guitar-like squeak" that most do. They are sold as an individual string, so you can use it with any other set you like. About $4 at Elderly Instruments.

I also generally dislike wound strings, but my wife recently tried a Freemont Soloist Polished Wound Low G, and it is pretty nice. Because it is polished, it is much smoother than most wound strings I have tried and it doesn't do the "guitar-like squeak" that most do. They are sold as an individual string, so you can use it with any other set you like. About $4 at Elderly Instruments.

A 2nd vote for the Soloist...…………...you won't be disappointed

I'm pretty sure that G strung is from La Bella--I saw Pepe say so in a video or two. I don't know if you can buy it singly, but suspect you can.
Hi UkuleleLadyT, I absolutely understand your preference for non-wound strings. I don‘t like the feel of the wound strings myself. And that‘s not just because of the fingering noises. It‘s the whole feel of a wound string, I can‘t warm up to. And they tend to wear off quite fast, as well.

However, I seriously recommend to try the flatwound low g set for tenor ukes by Pepe Romero Jr. The low g string is a flatwound one, or maybe rather a ground one. I‘m not quite sure here. But I‘m sure or rather know very well, that the low g string is a real winner. It‘s not as fat or wobbly as some non-wound strings tend to be (for example the brown low g string from Worth), you don‘t hear any fingering noises at all, and it‘s much more durable than the regular wound strings.

I have them on three different ukes now: on a soprano, a concert and two tenors, and I played one of the tenors very regular for about a year and a half, and it‘s still ok - that means, still no immediate need to change it. No sign of the wound wire to wear off.

I‘d give it a try. Although I‘m not sure if the low g string is available separately. Maybe you‘ll have to buy a full set.

I'm pretty sure that G strung is from La Bella--I saw Pepe say so in a video or two. I don't know if you can buy it singly, but suspect you can.

I think the La Bella 100w set is the same - haven't found the Low G as a single though.

I like a .028" or .029" silver wound string as a low G. D'Addario sells them as singles. The Pro Arte Composite polished basses are designed for close mic recording so very little string noise, especially if you're careful with lifts and shifts. You can usually buy them from Strings by Mail (look under classical guitar singles).

Thanks everyone for your recommendations. I'm going to order a few different ones that you suggested and go from there. :)

I think the La Bella 100w set is the same - haven't found the Low G as a single though.

No, that is incorrect. The LaBella 100W are made of nylon (with the low g string wound, of course), whereas the Romeros are of fluorocarbon (but do indeed come from LaBella, as written on the package).

However, I couldn‘t find the polished low g as a single string either. But thanks for the advice with the Fremont Soloist. I ordered some of those and I‘m lookiing forward to comparing them to the Romeros.

Top Bottom