Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Laminate used for ukes

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    "I never heard of an Ukulele with a fake veneer on the outside"

There are lots. The "Formica" like material looks extremely convincing, but I believe the patterned surface is printed onto the surface. It actually makes very decent cheap ukes. Much better than the ubiquitous basic three-ply painted ones.

John Colter

Attachment 116076
    Well, if they brand it as formica they brand it as formica, not as wood. And a printed surface is not a veneer.

What I meant was that I never heard of an Ukulele made with a basic plywood with an exotic wooden veneer on top, being sold as simply being made from this exotic wood.
    They might be out there, but I never heard of them.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

No, they don't brand it as Formica, that's why I called it "Formica" like. They usually call it laminate. A printed surface would be a "fake veneer".

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    No, they don't brand it as Formica, that's why I called it "Formica" like. They usually call it laminate. A printed surface would be a "fake veneer".

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

John Colter
    I guess you are right, A printed surface is a fake veneer, while a veneer of a different wood is a genuine veneer, all though not representive for the whole wood.

In Bali I saw people selling horribad plywood ukuleles witch had exotic wood PAINTED onto the surface. Like with a brush. I dont count thta as veneer either.
    If you ever go to Ubud in Bali, see them and be horrified. They even miss frets here and there.
    Ohana SK30M mahogany super-soprano, Cort UKEBWCOP Blackwood concert, Anuenue African Mahogany Tenor, Fluke Koa Tenor, Hora M1176 spruce Tenor

Thread Information