String length for long-neck Concert?

YogiTom

Reaction score
(As a beginner, I wasn’t sure if this should go in this section or in the beginner questions section, so apologies if I guessed wrong on where to post!)

I have a long neck Concert (17 3/32” scale length) and was wondering whether I need to buy strings labeled for Tenor, or if the standard Concert sizes would work?

Would hate to order the Concerts only to find they aren’t long enough!

Thanks in advance for any info or experience y’all might be able to share.

-Jeff

I have a 17" scale ukulele. I sometimes use tenor strings, and sometimes use concert strings. I have never found that concert strings were too short for the tenor scale, and they are easier to fret.

With Worth strings, that come in double length, I find that if you want two sets of strings from the package, they are not too generous with extra string length.
You probably could put them on a Tenor scale, but it would be difficult to handle them by the very tips.

I have no long neck concert, but I put concert strings on my concert scale soprano. So I guess I would go for tenor strings for a long neck concert.

Whatever you put on check the intonation, if all is OK go with the

If the intonation is off change strings and try again.

I use Living Water fluorocarbon concert strings on mine, both my Opio & Ohana - also on my tenor neck soprano, & other tenor scale ukes - I prefer their feel & sound/tone. :)

(Tenor strings will have more tension & be stiffer, generally.)

Thanks everyone for the great advice! I guess some trial and error is in order. I’ll report back on what ended up working for any other curious parties.

Cheers,
Jeff

It's peculiar that the strings for the longer scales are actually a higher gauge.
Using the same string on a longer scale allready increases the tension needed for the notes. If you use a thicker, heavier, string, you need even more tension.

Tension must be popular.

Top Bottom