Playing Different Sizes

Jerryc41

Reaction score
How many of you switch regularly from one size uke to another? I have sopranino through tenor in almost equal numbers (except for the single sopranino), and I switch back and forth all the time.

When I go to a session, I usually bring two ukes of different sizes. Maybe it's because I'm not a great player that switching sizes doesn't bother me, but I'd hate to be limited to one size.

What impresses me is seeing uke players switch from a soprano to a guitar. Now that's a difference! Stu Fuchs is very good on both instruments.

I tend to stay with one scale length at a time - mainly tenor scale/concert body, or smaller, but I do switch back to concert scale sometimes, (especially if my hands are a bit stiff), which is what I used when I started out, both concert & long neck soprano. My baritones don't get much attention these days, as I find the scale a bit too much of a stretch, for me.

Baritone in the bedroom, Soprano outdoor uke in the kids bathroom, tenor on the main floor, and another baritone in the basement. I play what is nearby depending where I am in the house.

I have sopranos, concerts, tenors and a baritone. I take examples of each out often and play them as the mood strikes me. .... except for the baritone.

I mostly play tenor and concert. Recently picked up a parlor guitar and I play all of them as much as possible. I never owned a soprano, maybe that’ll be next.

Tenor low-G gets picked up every day as I am working on 2 songs for low-G.
Concert gets picked up a few times a week with 2 finger picking songs I am trying to polish.
Soprano gets picked up from time to time because it is so cute!

I have tried tenors & sopranos, but concert is my happy place. I do ok on my Islander soprano with the wide nut, but it's still cramped, especially when I start playing up the neck. I have a KoAloha Opio long neck soprano on order from HMS. It's been awhile since I tried a tenor. It seemed like too much stretch for me.

I played a concert for three years. Then I bought a soprano as a backup. Now I play them both and I don't prefer one over the other. I don't notice a difference between them as far as playing is concerned. I mean I guess that I don't feel more cramped with the soprano.

Throughout the week I'll play all three of my uke's: concert, tenor lowG, tenor highG. At a recent event I just took my Concert Fluke, weather was a factor as well as not wanting to deal with two instruments to carry around all day.

I have a Kamaka Tenor, an Outdoor Soprano Ukulele, and a Southern Cross banjolele. I grab the Outdoor Soprano a lot because the Kamaka and Southern Cross stay in their cases when not in use. That all said, I have found that I am much better player on the longer scales even though the Soprano gets a lot of use. My hands fingers have a harder time on the smaller neck. I guess this stems from coming to the instrument via guitar.

Maybe it's because I'm still concentrating on learning that I really notice a difference between concert and soprano. Most of mine are concert, but built a soprano and it just feels off to me. I think if I become more confident in my playing it may not matter as much.

Mostly soprano, but I like to pick up the sopranino occasionally to appreciate all the space on the soprano fretboard. Don't have anything between soprano and baritone anymore, so playing baritone is a little weird at first. Might be why I'm not playing it as much right now.

Changing back and forth between concert uke and tenor banjouke drives me batsh-- crazy.
I sold the tenor to a friend for her husband who plays baritone uke.
My pinkie fingers are just too short for that scale.
I have no desire to be switching around, it throws me off during a show, it's one extra challenge I don't need.
I'll be shopping for a banjouke with a concert scale neck, Mim has just what I need, I think. We've found it to be indispensable for Irish folk music.

i have soprano concert tenor baritone and a tenor banjo. i find switching from one size to another makes me more aware of what i am doing and i feel it improves my skills

Changing back and forth between concert uke and tenor banjouke drives me batsh-- crazy.
I sold the tenor to a friend for her husband who plays baritone uke.
My pinkie fingers are just too short for that scale.
I have no desire to be switching around, it throws me off during a show, it's one extra challenge I don't need.
I'll be shopping for a banjouke with a concert scale neck, Mim has just what I need, I think. We've found it to be indispensable for Irish folk music.
You getting a Little Gem or. Firefly? Just curious since it's concert size and I think those are the only two

You getting a Little Gem or. Firefly? Just curious since it's concert size and I think those are the only two

No, because the reviews say that these both sound as clangy as the Duke, which my wife hates anyway. The Deering, https://www.mimsukes.com/search?query=deering&type=reverb having a big pot, is the one that will give me the tones I want, I believe, and can come with a concert scale neck. Mim has those. Since they are high dollar, I will have to save up for a while...
In the meantime, I want to try one out...maybe Sam Ash has one....don't know.
We have to finish all our Irish folk song shows before I can make the jump...

I've played my friend's Gold Tone concert that has a nice full sound. Loud too. It has and 8" dia. pot and is less expensive than a Deering. But that Deering sound is marvelous.

I'm still working on learning to play more standard type ukes. But I enjoy hearing the banjolele.

I’ll regularly swap out between soprano uke, baritone nui, guitar and mandolin. Different scales, different tunings. It all works out.

Top Bottom