Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Left-Brain Lutherie

Quote Originally Posted by Moore Bettah Ukuleles View Post
    he certainly did. I ran into him at the grocery store once and he gave me a 20 minute lecture on bread flours!
    Has your bread making improved afterwards?

Quote Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
    Has your bread making improved afterwards?
    No, typical of David I was more confused than ever. But his sourdough was the best I've ever tasted this side of San Francisco. He'd wake up at 4:30 every morning and start a loaf.
    Chuck Moore
    Moore Bettah Ukuleles
    http://www.moorebettahukes.com

I enjoy loafing at 4.30am.

John Colter

I bought the Left-Brain Lutherie book when I first started to build. It was a good reference for me and I still use a lot of the ideas I learned from it. BUT.... I can almost say that NO one has read every page except David Hurd.... It goes into detail that will leave most of us cross-eyed.
    In the end he does say.
    "I am the first to admit that putting such information in a usable form for general dissemination is a tedious and sometimes thankless exercise. But only by making such a distribution effort can we as a community move forward to higher levels of instrument making."
    So... I for one thank him for making the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by Beau Hannam Ukuleles View Post
    KING ARTHUR BREAD FLOUR!!!!!!!
    It is the best flour ive used but should be for $5 a bag!
    That is my go to for pizza dough.

Quote Originally Posted by Timbuck View Post
    His method of gluing neck to body is interesting..Just a butt joint with epoxy.
    http://www.ukuleles.com/BuildingHowTo/neck2body.html
    Remember the David Russell Young book. That was his method and that was one of the first books on guitar lutherie

Why are you guys discussing the value of epoxying a neck on? Just because Young, Smallman, Kawika Hurd, and others have done it, does not make it a technique that we want to emulate in general luthierie. Pretty much all the joints in building are simple butt joints or similar. Take the time to learn how to do at least one nice, reversible joint for the neck and save some future luthier the grief of having to deal with an epoxied on neck during repairs.

Quote Originally Posted by Pegasus Guitars View Post
    Why are you guys discussing the value of epoxying a neck on? Just because Young, Smallman, Kawika Hurd, and others have done it, does not make it a technique that we want to emulate in general luthierie.
    I agree it isn't a good way to join a neck (the butt part, not the epoxy part)....I was just mentioning Smallman did it cuz it was a topic of conversation.

Why are you guys discussing the value of epoxying a neck on?
    Because this is a forum where all sorts of ideas, good and bad, are discussed.
    I really enjoy the threads where a whole lot of right brain stuff gets mixed up with left brain stuff. It shows what a talented and diverse group we are.
    Miguel

I met a guy who butt joined classical guitar necks with hide glue!!! Never understood this.

Thread Information