Left-Brain Lutherie

ktuurna

Reaction score
I found interesting book Left-Brain Lutherie by David "Kawika" Hurd. Has anybody here read it? I really like Kawika's way to think about ukulele building. No just dos or donts. Thats book is about trying to understand more about physics and engineering concepts as they are actually applied to instrument building. The Book is not for sale anymore at Stewmac, but it can be ordered at ukuleles.com. What do you think?

Last edited:
Yes, I have and read the book.

I spent several days with him about 10 years ago where he was going over and teaching a group of us about his methods in Albany, West Australia.

he certainly did. I ran into him at the grocery store once and he gave me a 20 minute lecture on bread flours!

KING ARTHUR BREAD FLOUR!!!!!!!
It is the best flour ive used but should be for $5 a bag!

I enjoy loafing at 4.30am.

John Colter

I bought the Left-Brain Lutherie book when I first started to build. It was a good reference for me and I still use a lot of the ideas I learned from it. BUT.... I can almost say that NO one has read every page except David Hurd.... It goes into detail that will leave most of us cross-eyed.
In the end he does say.
"I am the first to admit that putting such information in a usable form for general dissemination is a tedious and sometimes thankless exercise. But only by making such a distribution effort can we as a community move forward to higher levels of instrument making."
So... I for one thank him for making the effort.

Why are you guys discussing the value of epoxying a neck on? Just because Young, Smallman, Kawika Hurd, and others have done it, does not make it a technique that we want to emulate in general luthierie. Pretty much all the joints in building are simple butt joints or similar. Take the time to learn how to do at least one nice, reversible joint for the neck and save some future luthier the grief of having to deal with an epoxied on neck during repairs.

Why are you guys discussing the value of epoxying a neck on? Just because Young, Smallman, Kawika Hurd, and others have done it, does not make it a technique that we want to emulate in general luthierie.

I agree it isn't a good way to join a neck (the butt part, not the epoxy part)....I was just mentioning Smallman did it cuz it was a topic of conversation.

Why are you guys discussing the value of epoxying a neck on?
Because this is a forum where all sorts of ideas, good and bad, are discussed.
I really enjoy the threads where a whole lot of right brain stuff gets mixed up with left brain stuff. It shows what a talented and diverse group we are.
Miguel

I met a guy who butt joined classical guitar necks with hide glue!!! Never understood this.

Top Bottom