Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Solid wood improves with use??

I've said this before, but that's never stopped me repeating myself. A brand new ukulele, just finished and strung for the first time, always sounds disappointing. It isn't just the new strings needing to be tuned frequently while they stretch in, they just don't sound as I know they should. The next day, there will be a very noticeable improvement. Each day thereafter brings more, but reducing, gains. After about a week those improvements will be very slight - barely noticeable, in fact.

If you could represent it on a graph, the line would rise steeply then curve over until, after a month, it was virtually flat. There may be minuscule improvements over the course of many years, but I could not attest to that.

This is just the observation of one man and is highly subjective. There is no harm in believing that your instrument has improved over time, but it would be very difficult to prove, conclusively.

John Colter

Quote Originally Posted by kypfer View Post

Also, why should a change be for the better and not worse?
    That has always been my question. I'm willing to accept that over time things change, but I don't know how it can always be a positive change.
    Last edited by Rllink; 03-15-2019 at 05:58 AM.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

Quote Originally Posted by ukantor View Post
    I've said this before, but that's never stopped me repeating myself. A brand new ukulele, just finished and strung for the first time, always sounds disappointing. It isn't just the new strings needing to be tuned frequently while they stretch in, they just don't sound as I know they should. The next day, there will be a very noticeable improvement. Each day thereafter brings more, but reducing, gains. After about a week those improvements will be very slight - barely noticeable, in fact.

John Colter
    I always took that to not being used to the tone of a new ukulele and growing to appreciate it over time.
    sopranino/sopranos/baritone/ubass

Quote Originally Posted by Beasty_Artemis View Post
    ....Or was it that the wood improves with time like wine?
    Now I can't remember.
    If you drink enough wine the instrument sounds better.

The memory thing can gee a factor as well if you drink enough.

Quote Originally Posted by EDW View Post
    If you drink enough wine the instrument sounds better.

The memory thing can gee a factor as well if you drink enough.
    I play my ukulele every afternoon and I have a stiff rum and Coke while I play. It has become ritual. There is no argument that I my ukulele sounds better when I drink rum and Cokes . That is pretty solid scientific evidence that drinking rum and Cokes will make ukuleles open up and have a richer tone.
    I don't want to live in a world that is linear.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...tective+Agency

<<<That is pretty solid scientific evidence that drinking rum and Cokes will make ukuleles open up and have a richer tone. >>>

Actually I remember seeing a scientific study that confirmed this. I believe it was funded by Bacardi and Coca-Cola, if I recall correctly.

What a nice way to spend a day, playing uke and a rum and Coke.
    Kala tenor uke (currently tuned CGDA)
    Kala baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Various other stringed instruments

Thread Information