Lanikai KOA-S?

Kakashi64

Reaction score
Ran across this at an auction site. I can't find any info on it on them Interwebs. I also searched these forums, but "KOA-S" is a rough term to search with. Lanikai's site is down, so I can't look there. I'm sure there's info out there. Can someone with better search-fu point me in the right direction?

KOA-S.jpg

The seller says it's "KOA-5," but I can't find any info on that, either. Anyone have a clue? because I definitely do not. :D

Could you post some more pictures? If I remember correctly, Lanikai had a line of solid Koa ukes that were made in Hawaii. One of the companies making them for Lanikai was Kanilea, but that was prior to 2010. I think those had a smooth high-gloss finish though, whereas the one pictured has a rather rough open pore finish.

Another possibility might be Lanikai's "Waimea" or "Makau" line. That one is made of Koa and has a finish that looks more like the one pictured. Those are advertised as being "made in Hawaii", they look similar to Imua to me.

Could you post some more pictures? If I remember correctly, Lanikai had a line of solid Koa ukes that were made in Hawaii. One of the companies making them for Lanikai was Kanilea, but that was prior to 2010. I think those had a smooth high-gloss finish though, whereas the one pictured has a rather rough open pore finish.

Another possibility might be Lanikai's "Waimea" or "Makau" line. That one is made of Koa and has a finish that looks more like the one pictured. Those are advertised as being "made in Hawaii", they look similar to Imua to me.

More pics posted above...

Definitely not Kanilea. Looks like a Ditson style.

Most Lanikai ukuleles are imported from China, only very few high-end models are made in Hawaii (and labeled this way). Sorry for the misunderstanding, I couldn't read "Made in China", only that it said "Lanikai Hawaii", so I assumed wrongly that it was made in Hawaii. To be honest, I think the uke pictured looks rather cheap.

Does that mean this is a fake? Or has Lanikai put its badge on lower-end ukes from a Chinese factory?

Not likely a fake, but also not likely a really high-end ukulele either. From the shape of the plastic tuner buttons it looks on the older side, and may well be quite a decent player. But, I couldn't tell from the pictures whether it is laminate or actually solid koa. Lanikai is an established Chinese manufacturer that mostly makes decent lower priced/entry level ukuleles. Personally, I would not pay a lot for it, maybe ~$50, including shipping. If it turns out to be solid koa, you could end up a winner, if it's laminate that's about IMO the top of what it's worth. Hope this helps you.

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone for your help. I wound up letting it go. I thought it was odd there's basically no info out there for it.

Wow, vintage Lanikai, LOL. (No such thing.)
But it does look like it's been around a while.
Lanikai has had solid wood, even American made, ukes.
But the plastic on the tuners speak of cheapness to me, so prob a laminate uke.

The label also has KOA-S (not 5). The seller was probably mistaken. I'm guessing S for Soprano?

Top Bottom