Enthusiastic Newcomer

Rana

UU VIP
Reaction score
Love the uke but am frustrated by what feels like very slow progress. I keep on trying - taking a group class and will go to my first ukefest this weekend.

My complete lack of ability has not saved me from UAS. It is contagious!

Very happy to be part of this group

Welcome to the forum. Try to just enjoy and before you know it you’ll be making progress. It starts slow but then suddenly there are breakthroughs and you’re speeding along. There was a song where I couldn’t get from one chord to another on time. After almost a year of playing, we happened to play that song in a group and it came so easily. That was 2 years ago. I’m no expert still, but man am I having fun. And my lack of ability has not stopped my UAS, either. Cheers.

Love the uke but am frustrated by what feels like very slow progress. I keep on trying - taking a group class and will go to my first ukefest this weekend.

My complete lack of ability has not saved me from UAS. It is contagious!

Very happy to be part of this group

Welcome to UU, you'll get great advice and support here. How long have you been playing? Is this your first stringed instrument, do you have a background in music?

I know how you feel, like Martinlover said above it just takes time. We have all gone through the same frustrations and process. Keep playing, enjoy the sounds you make and you will improve.

Welcome! Take your time, and enjoy what you can do. Keep playing, and progress will be made.

Thank you for the encouragement. It really doesn’t feel like I am making much progress but I am trying to take it easy and keep on practicing.

Welcome to UU, you'll get great advice and support here. How long have you been playing? Is this your first stringed instrument, do you have a background in music?

I know how you feel, like Martinlover said above it just takes time. We have all gone through the same frustrations and process. Keep playing, enjoy the sounds you make and you will improve.

It is my first stringed instrument & my only background was a couple of years of French horn in junior high school. (Note - junior high, not “middle school” gives an idea of how many years ago). So virtually no background in music. I just completed a 10 week (1x a week) class. Went to a ukefest = huge mistake. Neither I nor other beginners understood the sessions they labeled “beginner.” I guess I’ll be a beginner in a couple of years! Trying to stay positive. I really appreciate the feedback. Thank you all.

Welcome aboard. :)

My advice, from a long time beginner, just stick at it, enjoy what you do, just learn the very basics to start with, the easy chords, practice changing between them, depending on your motivation, it will come slowly or quickly, but you do have to practice to improve. ;)

(Don't overdo it, just practice a couple of 10~20 mins a day, & you'll be seeing improvements.)

Top Bottom