Old v. New: Vintage Martin/Kiwaya sopranos

andy2353

Reaction score
Hey folks. I picked up a Kiwaya KTS-4 a little while ago. This was my first experience with a soprano. I loved it so much I went searching for a vintage Martin and just took delivery of a late '30s style 0. The Kiwaya is a wonderful instrument..flawless. But it's true what they say, there is a Martin jangle that just cannot be imitated. It is so fun to play and it sounds exactly like what I think a soprano should sound like. Loud, too! So, as others have said, don't be afraid of trying a vintage Martin.

View attachment 116127

Nice ukuleles, both of them!

FWIW, I'm pretty sure the Kiwaya KTS-4s are made from African mahogany, aka sapele. The vintage Martins were the genuine Honduran mahogany. Kiwaya uses the Honduran in the KTS-7.

I love my Kiwayas but I know I won't rest until the right vintage Martin Style O comes along.

True.

I bought a Kiwaya soprano for travel purposes, since I wanted something small and didn't want to expose my vintage Martin to the vagaries of travel. I was so impressed with the Kiwaya sound and wondered if it would become my favorite after playing it exclusively for two weeks while in Rome last January. Then I got back home and played my Martin again.... There was no comparison of the tonality. While the Martin has much more volume, it has a depth of tone and richness that outshines the rest.

I've always thought that the Martin soprano sounds like a ukulele should. I rescue old Martins, I've always been delighted on how they recover, even with major repair efforts. The latest one is always my favorite no mater how it shows its age. When a newly rescued ukulele comes out, the previous one becomes someone else favorite.
Dave AKA Spongeuke

I absolutely love my Martin.... it’s my second one, sounds a lot better than the first one which was a 40s 50s something like that, which still sounded very good but there’s something about this 30s uke that just plays like a dream and it is loud! I took it in on trade plus cash on my Taylor 12 fret 12 string so I paid $500.00 for it and my point is that these are actually a bargain I think you would be hard pressed to find something new that sounds as good and would hold it’s value. Downside is you will need a plastic surgeon to get the smile off your face:)

I think that maybe one day the vintage Martin ukes will be almost as sought after as a Guarnieri or Strad violin. The Martin seems to have the same mystique around it.
How did the Master builders do it? Why does nothing else mimic it? How do we duplicate it? Can it be done?
Will they wind up in glass cases at auctions only attended by the well healed seekers of magical instruments?

I have a style 0 too from 40s- 50s. Very much like the one that just got sold. It amazes me how the action, and neck angle are right on. I was lucky as it was my first ukulele bought from a friend who had it for years. How that came about is he dragged me to a ukulele get together and I got hooked...
Tim

Also have a Ken Timms style 0. Lovely soprano and quite loud and full but different sounding. Enjoy playing both.

Top Bottom