rare Kiwaya KTS-6 soprano, solid mahogany with hard case

tkthompson

Reaction score
This Kiwaya KTS-6 is #46th. I acquired it in 2017 from a fellow UU member and believe it is around ten years old. I am selling it because I find myself picking up my tenor and baritone and this exquisite soprano is just not getting the play it deserves. Figure it is time to pass it along.

It has very light build with solid, premium mahogany that shimmers under a satin finish. HMS describes it as “the quintessential vintage soprano tone. Patterned after the famous Martin style 1 of the 30's-50's, this has a higher fidelity but the same warmth and punchiness that they have been loved for. This uke is extremely clean and light construction and an artist eye for fine detail and precision.

It has low action, narrow and low frets, and easy playability. It comes with a compensated saddle, Rosewood fretboard with Gotoh friction peg tuners.

The wood has fully opened up and has that vintage soprano sound with volume to spare; it's like getting a vintage high-end Martin without having to fret about maintenance and repairs. The KTS-6 is not currently sold in the US, but the KTS-5 retails new for about $700, and the KTS-7 for about $1200.

Condition is excellent with caveats. This is 10 year old instrument that’s been played and has almost imperceptible strumming wear that is only visible in just the right light if you're looking hard. It also has a small ding on the top of the headstock and a couple of small nicks on the headstock face. I've tried to capture these in the photos.

Comes with a tweed hard case. Non smoking home.

SOLD to local UU member.

Attachments

• IMG_2055.jpg
    IMG_2055.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    65.5 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_2052.jpg
    IMG_2052.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_2049.jpg
    IMG_2049.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_2054.jpg
    IMG_2054.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 108
Last edited:
Still available.

A board member requested additional specs I thought I'd share:
nut widths: 36mm
height @ 12th is 2mm.
scale length is 13 5/8ths.

I don't have a sound sample, but HMS has some video's of the Kiwaya KTS-6 that give a good approximation of tone. Although IMO my KTS-6 has opened up and has better clarity, fidelity and volume strung with Worth clears or Martins (vs the stock Freemonts).

Strumming sample: https://vimeo.com/56748577
Picking sample: https://vimeo.com/148476616

Top Bottom