Thread: Trying to learn the "flick"

Default Trying to learn the "flick"

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn a flick (like in this video https://youtu.be/BngzM8s9WYs ). I've started really slowly - away from the ukulele, then with muted strums, slow speed etc but now I've started to try it with chords it just sounds really scrape-y sounding (like too much nail contact?)

Can anyone off any other tips? I play tenor mostly but don't have the longest fingers (and my little finger is really quite short compared to my other fingers!)

Thanks in advance
    ~ "Music washes away the dust of everyday life" ~

Concert - Kanile'a KSC-C Kai KCI-5000 acacia (out on loan)
    Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple Kala KA-SRMT-TRI
    Baritone - Kala SMHB (for sale)

LFDM ukaferri - pending sale back to original owner

Note how high his hand is, different than normal strumming.
    Never tried this before, but I get the jist of it, it's sort of like doing one finger strums one after the other, & when I just tried it, my wrist rotates a bit between each finger's strum.
    Maybe that will help(?).
    Trying to do justice to various musical instruments.

Quote Originally Posted by Croaky Keith View Post
    Note how high his hand is, different than normal strumming.
    Never tried this before, but I get the jist of it, it's sort of like doing one finger strums one after the other, & when I just tried it, my wrist rotates a bit between each finger's strum.
    Maybe that will help(?).
    Thank you, I will definitely try that!

Tenor - Anuenue UT200 Sumi Kobo sinker cedar + ziricote Kanile'a 2019 Platinum Pineapple Kala KA-SRMT-TRI

I can't add anything more than Stu said in the video, as I have trouble with this technique myself. Thanks for the share though, those tips will help me with it for sure!

I gave it try. It's fun. I love flamenco techniques. This one is going to take some practice though. It feels pretty awkward at first.

I flick index finger first then mid, ring, pinky. I describe this action to students as if I have a sticky something I want rid off.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrytone View Post
    I flick index finger first then mid, ring, pinky. I describe this action to students as if I have a sticky something I want rid off.
    That helps! Thank you, I can work with that imagery!

I learned rasgueado on the guitar many moons ago and the basic right hand posture begins like a fist. Each finger is quickly flicked out in sequence: e (pinky), a (ring), m (middle) i (index) p (thumb). Local ukulele players like to call this "fan" strumming. You can also do it without the thumb or e finger: e, a, m, i or a, m, i. Of course you can incorporate upstrokes as well but that's a lot harder. I don't move my wrist or arm hardly at all, keeping the finger shallow and light into the strings. Why? Normally, rasgueado will be mixed with scales and melody so you want to keep a dynamic balance so rasgueado strums don't overwhelm single notes.

I use the e, a, m, i rasgueado every three beats in the last third of my malaguena ukulele track:

https://www.reverbnation.com/peterku...=artistProfile
    Last edited by gochugogi; 05-29-2019 at 07:36 AM.

I usually perform this maneuver similarly to Peter and for similar reasons.

John King's arrangement of "Loke Lani" makes repeated use of both p-i upstrokes and a-m-i downstrokes and so might prove useful in developing the technique.
    "Who hears music, feels his solitude Peopled at once -- for how count heart-beats plain / Unless a company, with hearts which beat, / Come close to the musician, seen or no?" - Robert Browning, "Balaustion's Adventure"

Thread Information