Trying to learn the "flick"

pix.fairydust

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to learn a flick (like in this video https://youtu.be/BngzM8s9WYs ). I've started really slowly - away from the ukulele, then with muted strums, slow speed etc but now I've started to try it with chords it just sounds really scrape-y sounding (like too much nail contact?)

Can anyone off any other tips? I play tenor mostly but don't have the longest fingers (and my little finger is really quite short compared to my other fingers!)

Thanks in advance :)

Note how high his hand is, different than normal strumming.
Never tried this before, but I get the jist of it, it's sort of like doing one finger strums one after the other, & when I just tried it, my wrist rotates a bit between each finger's strum.
Maybe that will help(?). :)

Note how high his hand is, different than normal strumming.
Never tried this before, but I get the jist of it, it's sort of like doing one finger strums one after the other, & when I just tried it, my wrist rotates a bit between each finger's strum.
Maybe that will help(?). :)

Thank you, I will definitely try that!

I can't add anything more than Stu said in the video, as I have trouble with this technique myself. Thanks for the share though, those tips will help me with it for sure!

I gave it try. It's fun. I love flamenco techniques. This one is going to take some practice though. It feels pretty awkward at first.

I flick index finger first then mid, ring, pinky. I describe this action to students as if I have a sticky something I want rid off.

I learned rasgueado on the guitar many moons ago and the basic right hand posture begins like a fist. Each finger is quickly flicked out in sequence: e (pinky), a (ring), m (middle) i (index) p (thumb). Local ukulele players like to call this "fan" strumming. You can also do it without the thumb or e finger: e, a, m, i or a, m, i. Of course you can incorporate upstrokes as well but that's a lot harder. I don't move my wrist or arm hardly at all, keeping the finger shallow and light into the strings. Why? Normally, rasgueado will be mixed with scales and melody so you want to keep a dynamic balance so rasgueado strums don't overwhelm single notes.

I use the e, a, m, i rasgueado every three beats in the last third of my malaguena ukulele track:

https://www.reverbnation.com/peterk...guena-frarys-ukulele-mix?source=artistProfile

Last edited:
I usually perform this maneuver similarly to Peter and for similar reasons.

John King's arrangement of "Loke Lani" makes repeated use of both p-i upstrokes and a-m-i downstrokes and so might prove useful in developing the technique.

Top Bottom