Season 370: Runners Up

Tootler

Reaction score
No Intro Video. This week not really been the best of weeks and I didn't have the energy today to do one.

The theme for Season 370 is runners Up

There are many songs that got stuck at No. 2 in the charts, songs that maybe you thought "How did that one never make no. 1?" Examples off the top of my head are Vienna by Ultravox which peaked at no 2 in the UK and Gerry Rafferty's Baker Street with it's striking sax riff which peaked at no. 2 in the Billboard Charts in the USA. (It only made no. 3 in the UK, btw). You often find that these songs are better known than the ones that kept them off the top.

If you Google "songs that peaked at no 2" or similar you'll find plenty more. The lists I found were UK specific so I'll leave you to do your own search for your local list. If you want, put links in the season thread.

So this week, you are to bring songs that peaked at no. 2 in your local charts. It doesn't matter if they made no. 1 elsewhere (you'll often find they did) just make it local to you and tell us which country it peaked at no 2.

Just bring one song a day, max to start with and I'll see how it goes. I might lift the limit later in the week.

The usual rules and guidelines apply

* The recording must be new and made for this week.
* Ukulele must be a prominent feature though other instruments are also welcome.
* State somewhere that your video is for Season 370
* If you prefer to bring an original, that's great. Make it on the theme of "runners up".
* Plugging in, multi tracking, ovrdubbing etc. are all welcome
* Start and finsh times as usual, 8 days starting midnight Hawaii on Sunday morning and ending Midnight Hawaii the following Saturday night* * * Most importantly, this is about fun so enjoy yourselves.

[Playlist]

I will comment on individual songs on You Tube and add periodic summaries in the thread.

Last edited:
Cool theme, Geoff! Honoring silver medalists!

Interesting theme.

I am not sure that danish charts are as well documented as those from larger countries. I hope that there is some leeway as to which charts to look at.

Finally! For much of the week I wasn't able to upload vids or post messages on forums. Kept getting a message saying "forbidden". Just a one word error message. Neither I nor the moderator had any luck figuring it out. Pabrizzer just gave me a suggestion that fixed the problem. You're all in trouble now as I am able to post videos.........

This should be a good week for Lynda. Looks like there were four T. Rex songs that peaked at #2 in the U.K.

Finally! For much of the week I wasn't able to upload vids or post messages on forums. Kept getting a message saying "forbidden". Just a one word error message. Neither I nor the moderator had any luck figuring it out. Pabrizzer just gave me a suggestion that fixed the problem. You're all in trouble now as I am able to post videos.........

It will be lovely to have you around, Fred!

Season 370. Submission 1. “Walk Away Renee” (Written by Michael Brown, Bob Calilli, and Tony Sansone for the band Left Banke in 1965)

The song was released as a single by the band in 1966 and it charted for 13 weeks in the US. While Rolling Stone ranked it at number 220 in the 500 Greatest Hits of All Time, the song never reached #1 in the US. However, it did reach #2 in the US Cash Box Top 100 in 1966. Cash Box was an powerful music industry trade publication which appeared weekly for over 54 years.

A 1967 version of the song by The Four Tops charted as high as #2 on a Canadian chart in 1968, but did not score as high in the US. A 1993 cover by Rick Price similarly never reached #1.

Thank you for hosting, Geoff, and your fine theme. I was surprised to learn this never hit #1. In my memory, it lived there for quite awhile. :)

Baritone and concert ukuleles used here.

Apparently 'only' made it to number 2 on the US Billboard Hot 100.
But did make it number 1 on the Billboard 'Adult Contemporary' chart - I guess that means old people liked it...

David Bowie's Jean Genie...held out from no 1 in the UK charts by Donnie Osmond's "Long haired lover from Liverpool".....I hope none of you bought that one extra Donnie 45 which denied poor David!!
Kala Baritone through Yamaha Thr5a amp.

As it's St Patrick's Day here's an Irish one. Hozier hit number 2 with this around 2013/2014 time.

Interesting theme.

I am not sure that danish charts are as well documented as those from larger countries. I hope that there is some leeway as to which charts to look at.

If you want to go for charts from another country, that's fine by me. Just say which country you are referring to. If you find good songs that peaked at no 2 in Denmark that's fine too. If they're in Danish, no problem, though sub titles will be nice.

Was it 'https' instead of 'http' by any chance? Because I had that trouble with my bookmarks and once I changed the link it was OK.

Good to have you back, Fred.

Top Bottom