Season 370: Runners Up

I've just heard my Father's just died. He would have been 99 next week so he's had a good innings. He's not been well since Christmas so it wasn't really a surprise & he went peacefully. I might get a bit behind with commenting on your videos, so bear with me. I will catch up.

Sorry to hear about your Father Geoff.

David Allan Coe took this to #2 on the country charts in 1984, which was the highest charting record of his career. When he first found the song he didn't know who the writer was, so he took out an ad asking the writer to come forward, and that worked. It was Johnny Cunningham. I played mandolin on the leads cause that's what they did on the record, and it had a lot of strings on it.

Geoff, sounds like your dad had quite the run. No second best for him, hey? Hugs and peace to you and your family.

Classic Laurel and Hardy which was kept out of the number one spot by Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody.
The injustice of it all... but that is comedy and quiche for you.

Meanwhile back on this side of the pond, 'Bohemian Rhapsody" apparently held at #2. Who's gonna bring us some head-banging Queen? Looks like it's up to us USans....

An original about a couple of life's Runners Up.Tuning DFAd
[video=youtube;1bQ5zPqzSBs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bQ5zPqzSBs&feature=youtu.be[/video

What a beautiful, haunting story and song!

Geoff, so sorry to learn of your dad's passing.

If I can help with anything, Geoff, please just say. I can finish up the hosting for the Season, if it'll help you.

Thoughts and prayers with you and your family. Linda

Sincere condolences Geoff, irrespective of age and condition it's still a very sad time, thoughts are with you.

Deepest sympathies Geoff. Celebrate a long happy life and think of the good.

So sorry to hear about your father Geoff. As you say, a good innings, but a sad time even so.

I will leave this one here - my third of the week - and another of those songs which you have to double-check. Did it really only get to number 2? In fact in the USA it was only a B-side!! Over here it was beaten by Yellow Submarine/Eleanor Rigby. So maybe half understandable.

Really sorry to hear about your Dad Geoff. You know we're all here for you if you need us.

Here's one from David Bowie I did on my lunch break today

Geoff, sounds like your dad had quite the run. No second best for him, hey? Hugs and peace to you and your family.

Meanwhile back on this side of the pond, 'Bohemian Rhapsody" apparently held at #2. Who's gonna bring us some head-banging Queen? Looks like it's up to us USans....

What a beautiful, haunting story and song!

BoRap did eventually reach No1 over here when it was re-released shortly after Freddie's death. It was number 1 the day I was born in the same run.

Last edited:
John Fogerty and crew had a lot of chart success in a short amount of time, but never a No. 1 (at least on the US Billboard charts). Here's one you may remember.

Done in the car because the dogs won't leave me alone. I love 'em and all that, but still ...

This Zombies song stalled at #2 behind Bobby Vinton's "Mr. Lonely."

Went to #2 for Johnny Rodriguez in 1976, but I haven't been able to determine the exact date, so I don't know what was at #1.

UPDATE: It was #2 on the Billboard Country Charts for 2 weeks ending September 11, 1976, behind "I Don't Want To Have To Marry You" by Jim Ed Brown And Helen Cornelius. Thanks to Randy for this information!

Last edited:
Condolences

I've just heard my Father's just died. He would have been 99 next week so he's had a good innings. He's not been well since Christmas so it wasn't really a surprise & he went peacefully. I might get a bit behind with commenting on your videos, so bear with me. I will catch up.
Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss.

Top Bottom