Season 370: Runners Up

I tried a new experiment this time. I had myself wired for sound with my phone hidden under my shirt. It records decent audio as long as I'm only using an audio recorder. When I use the camera, the audio it records is terrible. Video done with my camera for a more distant, wider angle shot.

This song has been covered many times, so it may have gone to #2 for someone else as well, but I know it made it to #2 for Hank in 1951, and again in 1974 for Linda Ronstadt.

Another one from your host. This early Elvis b/w Hound Dog only made it to no. 2 in the UK. I always preferred this to Hound Dog and I admit to liking Mama Thornton's original recording of Hound Dog better than Elvis's version too. The piccys in the video (except for the last one) are of the Tramway Museum in Crich in Derbyshire taken, I think, on an old film camera and digitised. The last picture is from the Beamish Open Air museum in Co. Durham.

New Uke day! Just got this in. It's a cigar box resonator ukulele custom made by Manitoba Hal. He's an outstanding blues ukulele player and a favorite of mine. Highly recommend going to his web site at www.manitobahal.com listen to his music and browse other items like this.

Kolibri Uker did an excellent instrumental version of this song and it inspired me to do the non-instrumental version......

This one reached #2 in the UK charts in March 1978 for Darts - kept off the top spot by ABBA’s ‘Take A Chance On Me’.

Please pardon the interruption: Season 369 wrap-up video is posted. Thank you! Return to Runners-Up.

Been quiet lately here on the Seasons on my part as I have been very busy lately so the ukulele has had a little rest. Anyway, I am back with a vengeance and my jazzy swing ukulele cover of Spandau Ballet's UK Number 2 Hit 'GOLD'... Hope you like my alternative version.

All the best and you are all GOLD!

PS. My condolences Geoff.

Last edited:
Welcome back Mads - good to see you mate! :)

I was inspired to do this one by Graham’s (NotAnotherLinda/Thumbstrummer) excellent cover earlier in the week. This is one of those songs that I love to sing along to at the top of my voice in the car! It was kept off the top spot in the UK chart by Darius’s ‘Colourblind’ in 2002. Added some keyboards and drum machine.

While Peter and Gordon's rendition of "A World Without Love" hit number 1 in the US and UK, it only made it to number 2 in my home country of Australia.

I can't believe Paul McCartney wrote this song at age 16. What talent! Although the lyrics do capture that teen angst. I love that it starts with the line, "Please lock me away"... How funny!

(But you folks know that I love angsty Paul McCartney songs. It has a lot in common with my last SOTU contribution: https://youtu.be/8yuOIJdpgvI)

I've managed to get through all your entries to here and I've really enjoyed listening to the wide variety of "runners up" it's amazing how many good songs only made it no 2. Sometimes unfortunately kept off the top by something better but other times kept of the top by something that most people would rather forget.

There's still a few hours left if you have something still to bring.

I can't tell if I squeezed this in our not--always thought it was Sunday earliest to Sunday latest but saw that this was to have ended Saturday ... ?

I can't tell if I squeezed this in our not--always thought it was Sunday earliest to Sunday latest but saw that this was to have ended Saturday ... ?

https://youtu.be/cLuanXadLxs

According to the time on the post, you've posted on time, so it's in.

Season 370 is now over. We have 68 entries which is pretty good. More important, I've enjoyed every one of them. There's an amazing amount of good music that only ever made it to no. 2 and in many cases, songs that peaked at no. 2 are better than those that kept them off the top spot.

Now all head over to season 371 (if you haven't already) and bring some songs with titles beginning with E.

Top Bottom