Season 370: Runners Up

Chuck Berry took this classic to #2 in early 1958, his next release was a song titled "Johnny B. Goode", which only made it to #8....lol Bit of a rough take here, but I was having fun so I kept it.

For technical reasons I managed to get in an early one this week
On a website I found, Ralph McTell's Streets of London only got to the UK number 2 in January of 1975.

Was it 'https' instead of 'http' by any chance? Because I had that trouble with my bookmarks and once I changed the link it was OK.

Good to have you back, Fred.

Geoff,

Nope. We don't know what the actual problem was. Changing my password fixed it. Don't know why.

FF

You have not lived until you have seen my dad belt this song out, but I doubt I could ever get him to do it on camera. You will have to settle for my comparatively tame version of the Diamonds 1957 #2 hit “Little Darlin”

Great theme Geoff, no shortage of classic songs to choose from, hope to get time later in the week to join in.

Made it #29 for Roy Orbison in 1963, even though it was released only as a single B-side. Linda Ronstadt took it to #2 on the U.S. Country Chart and the Cash Box Top 100 Chart in 1977. Three different songs occupied the U.S. Country Chart during August of that year, the month "Blue Bayou" was released: "Rollin' With the Flow" by Charlie Rich, "Way Down" by Elvis (the last song released before his death), and "Don't It Make My Brown Eyes Blue" by Crystal Gayle.

This wonderful Bruce Springsteen song peaked at number two in the States behind "The Reflex" by Duran Duran and "When Doves Cry" by Prince.

This song peaked at number 2 in 1991 in the UK. 20 years later I went to Hyde Park to watch a gig by myself for the first time and my life changed forever. I used to by incredibly shy, introverted, would never do anything because I didn't have anyone to do It with, all of a sudden I released I could go to these things by myself, make some temporary friends while I'm there and then be myself safe in the knowledge there'd be no judgement the next day. It was incredibly liberating to 19 year-old me.

Anyway, I went because The Killers were the headline act, and their set was incredible, but one of the support slots were filled by James who I sort of knew of but wasn't that excited by. On they come for their set at like 3 in the afternoon and they were fantastic, but I was adamant through that under no circumstances would I end up sitting down during the chorus of the big one. Suffice to say they closed their set with it and the combination of a lot of cider and some pretty girls who needed to be impressed meant I was on my arse each time they said it, hands in the air, shouting to the heavens.

Classic Laurel and Hardy which was kept out of the number one spot by Queen and Bohemian Rhapsody.
The injustice of it all... but that is comedy and quiche for you.

Porter Wagoner took this sad story song to #2 in 1968, and in '69 it was named song of the year at the CMA awards. I know Geoff likes story songs, so I did it.

thank you for the week, Geoff
the blame for this abomination may be directed to Rob

Ha! Ryan beat me to it. What he didn't mention is that this was kept off the number one spot by...wait for it..."The One And Only" by Chesney Hawkes. But at least it stayed at No2 for three weeks, and ended up as the 20th best selling single of 1991.

Kept out of the #1 spot in 1959 by "Stagger Lee" by Lloyd Price. I had to go look that one up. I had never heard it before.

This lovely song was released in 2006 and, according to Wikipedia, peaked at number 2 in the UK Download Chart. I’ve added some vocal harmonies to the choruses, so it might be worth holding out at least until the first one to see what you think.

Top Bottom