Song Help Request Figuring out the style of music you enjoy playing

Asrafrate

Reaction score
So I've been taking ukulele music classes and unfortunately I haven't been too thrilled or excited by the music examples my teacher has been teaching us. I figured maybe her taste in music may just not be mine.

So I did some Youtubin and came across stuff like this that made me sit up and go "Wow." I don't want to sing, just play melodic music that is gentle, fun, soulful.

https://vimeo.com/63373225

https://www.facebook.com/groups/607399119403068/permalink/1384281898381449/

I know it's so subjective, but as a beginner how do you go about finding the style of music you enjoy playing? And can anyone tell me the name of the song being played in the first video?

Music you enjoy playing is first and foremost going to be music you enjoy listening to. Try to adapt your YouTube and Spotify playlists to playing on the uke.

Most beginning ukulele classes lean toward easy strum 'n sing folk songs with no staff notation or tabs (mostly lyric sheets with chords) and little technical foundation. If you like Cory's playing, realize he's a rare and highly accomplished soloist and treats the ukulele like a piano or classical guitar, melody and accompaniment played on one instrument. And that ain't something you can teach in a beginning class. It's something best learned in a small advanced course or one-on-one sessions after mastering the basics of single line melody and chord strumming. In my ukulele classes at Leeward Community College, I don't allow singing. Students learn to play melodies and chords the first semester, honing these skills in duets and trios. The second semester we work on combining melody and chords on a single ukulele, playing written out solos and finally having students arrange their own pieces. It may seem like baby steps but it takes a lot of time and practice to play like Cory. And sometimes you may have to play music you may not particularly like in order to learn an important technique or concept. Think of that piece as a necessary stepping stone to your ultimate stylistic goal.

I'm like you. I've taken some group classes and yeah the music hasn't sent me. I'm just looking at it as an exercise in chord transitions and the like then trying to find something I like at home.

What I like to do is to take a song I know and play already and change it. I might do a ska version of "My Favorite Things" for example- then switch it to a slow jazzy vibe. This way I get to play around with different timings and develop my proficiency while having fun. In my opinion, the key is to make the music my own - not to emulate the music made by someone else.

Thanks all for the feedback. A lot to think about for sure.

Does anyone recognise the tune being played by Cory by any chance?

Does anyone recognise the tune being played by Cory by any chance?

Cory does practice special solos—standards and originals—and record them for HMS but most of his demonstrations are "RAW" improvisations over a progression. After all, he has several thousand videos so he's really good at winging it.

So I've been taking ukulele music classes and unfortunately I haven't been too thrilled or excited by the music examples my teacher has been teaching us. I figured maybe her taste in music may just not be mine.

So I did some Youtubin and came across stuff like this that made me sit up and go "Wow." I don't want to sing, just play melodic music that is gentle, fun, soulful.

https://vimeo.com/63373225

https://www.facebook.com/groups/607399119403068/permalink/1384281898381449/

I know it's so subjective, but as a beginner how do you go about finding the style of music you enjoy playing? And can anyone tell me the name of the song being played in the first video?

Sample a bit of everything until you find the niche that is yours. Until you find that play away and have fun.

Top Bottom