What ukes are being considered for rehoming?

I’ve got a Luna Pearl concert and KoAloha Noah that I might rehome this year. Either that or I’ll build some
Kind of display case so all of my ukes are equally accessible. Time will tell. :)

RafterGirl, may I ask, what kind of pimpage are you going to be applying to your KoAloha koa?
I started another thread to ask for advice on making changes to my 2006 concert, or selling and starting new. The overwhelming vote was to make the changes to a great playing & sounding uke. So I’m changing out the old style friction tuners to Gotoh UPTs. The old tuners are the white ones with the KoAloha logo & large screws. I’m also adding a MiSi pick-up. It has a gloss neck that I wish was satin, but I may be able to knock that down a bit. Satin necks are my favorite, but semi-gloss will work. Full heavy gloss is a no-go. I have the tuners & pickup on order, and the work will be at a local acoustic guitar & ukulele shop.

If I bite the bullet and get a tenor, I might be rehoming my blue concert Flea with upgraded fretboard and tuners. I have it strung low g right now, and I really like it. But if I get a tenor, I'll have that low g. And I strive to be the opposite of a hoarder, so the Flea might have to go.

I've had my Ohana SK-21M on CL for a while. I occasionally have second thoughts, but just bump the price up when I feel like keeping it, and back down again when the feeling passes.

I'm standing pat. Not buying, not selling. For now!

I have a Lanikai concert laminate I picked up in a trade for a Lanikai bari and it vexes me. I'm pretty happy with it. It punches way above its price point. I play it a fair amount, and there's nothing at all wrong with it, but the finish is a bit uneven (faded in some spots but with nice grain pattern, even though I know it's fake). It's probably not worth very much to someone unless they actually picked it up and played it. I want to get an Outdoor soprano for the car, and before doing that I'll either rehome the Lanikai locally or cover it with stickers and make it my genuine knockaround home uke.

I'm coming from the other direction. Since rekindling my passion for ukuleles, my guitars are gathering dust.

Same for me sort of, but almost all of my guitars are electric except for
my 2001 Martin D-45, and a LX1E.
However the D-45 has sentimental value which makes it almost impossible for me to sell.

I will be listing my Kala Elite 1KOA-T tenor for sale on here probably in the next few days.
I just prefer the sound of sopranos/concerts at them moment.
When I want to play something bigger I'll just play guitar.

Last edited:
I'm on the other end of the scale from Eddie, with several cheap ukes (Fender Venice, Ohana concert, Kala Tenor) that I bought trying to figure out what I liked and am now replacing with better ones. The problem is that they're not really worth enough to put in effort to sell, and I haven't found a good place to donate them. I have promised not to buy more until they go though, and I still don't have a Bari, so something will move them!

You might check with your libraries to see if they do the "check out an ukulele" program.
Also, schools are starting to teach ukulele now, maybe one in your town can use them.

I've been thinking about using one of the sopranos and the Eastman to finance a different concert. Maybe a Pono or a C1K.

I need to move out a number so may consider listing virtually everything except my Hive, my Grimes and a couple of recent additions, and then let the market decide by seeing which four or so sell first. The problem is I don't want to sell any of these, but I keep buying. Not because I think there is anything better out there, but because I enjoy experiencing different ones.

Collings UC3MSB, the only cherry sunburst they ever made (on hold; somebody wants is if I can actually let it go)
KoAloha all 'hog longneck soprano, limited run (on hold for somebody until next week)
Ono Wahoo torrefied spruce/sapele tenor (great playability and tone; have my eye on another Ono)
Blackbird Farallon (highly customized, including unigrain top like their Savoy guitar which I think sounds even better than the standard Farallon, radius fretboard, sunburst, parallelogram markers, fancy rosette)
Kinnard Series 3 spruce/California sycamore tenor (there will always be a Kinnard in my stable, so if did let this one go, I'd be getting another one)
Beau Hannam Grand 19" tenor, Selmer body shape, sinker redwood top/Amazon rosewood body (really spectacular instrument and the longer scale helps deliver a lot of tone)
TODA, spruce/Madagascar tenor, cut-away body shape (about as rare as a unicorn; incredible tone)

:drool: Goodness! I'm always tempted every time I see one of your listings!

Great idea for a thread, and very interesting replies everyone!

I sold off a couple of ukes that didn't fit my playing style or were redundant in my collection. I have a couple left that I'd consider selling, again mostly for being redundant since I went through a phase of intense buying in order to try different models etc.:

- Pono TE Solid Body Electric solid Acacia: Perfect instrument for amplification, but I came to realize that I never use an amplifier.

- Jazz Box Uke by Toby Chennell: This is a lovely tenor with all the bells and whistles (flamed maple body, bearclaw spruce top, archtop and arched back, f-holes, side sound port, fully bound body and fretboard), but it doesn't suit my playing style. I'm sure someone with either a more jazzy or a more traditional strumming style would make it sound beautifully.

- Kanilea Islander Guilele GL6 laminate Acacia: This one is hand-picked and set-up from the experts at HMS and sounds just as good as any other guilele/guitalele I have played. But since my other guileles (plural!) were more expensive, I play them more often to justify the cost.

- Pono AT solid Acacia: This is one of my best sounding tenors, but redundant to others that cost more and therefore get more playing time.

- I'd also consider selling my Kanilea K1 Premium Koa baritone, again because it's redundant to another nice baritone I have.

Contact me via PM if you are interested in any of these instruments. I'm based in Switzerland and would prefer to sell locally. I'm perfectly willing to ship to other countries, but this will add shipping cost, and moreover, many other countries will claim customs/taxes on the buyer's end since Switzerland is not in the EU.

I bet you can sell those old white tuners.

"RafterGirl" puts two images in my head: where you sleep or how you travel on a river. :D
Definitely the second option. Although I often sleep & nap in a hammock while traveling down the river, so I suppose that could count as “hanging in the rafters.”

I'll probably be offloading my Kala KA-SRT/MA (Michael Aratani) Spruce/Rosewood Tenor. I'm trying to maintain the same number of instruments, so since I just received a Cocobolo concert, I need to move one. I have the Kala currently strung with a Low G string so I'll switch my Pono Cedar/Acacia tenor to Low G.

I have a Kamaka white Label concert that I will be looking to rehome or trade in order to get a nice vintage Martin soprano.
I have realized that Sopranos are my most comfortable size.

Top Bottom