Help with fretting using only 3 fingers

quiltingshirley

Reaction score
I’ve hesitated to post cause it seems I should be able to solve this problem, but...
Almost a week ago I took a “small” hunk from my middle fretting finger at the last joint near the tip. (It looks big to me but now that it has a dressing covering it...)
So I have my index, ring and pinky available for use. Would it help to slack down to open strings? IF I slacked the A down to G could I still play regular A shape but not strum the 1st (now g not a) string?
This won’t be forever so I thought I could get some strum practice with easy chords. 2nd position chords will work if I don’t slack down.

On guitar I can do E chord and A7 and a partial barre B.
Any help appreciated.
Shirley

I’ve hesitated to post cause it seems I should be able to solve this problem, but...
Almost a week ago I took a “small” hunk from my middle fretting finger at the last joint near the tip. (It looks big to me but now that it has a dressing covering it...)
So I have my index, ring and pinky available for use. Would it help to slack down to open strings? IF I slacked the A down to G could I still play regular A shape but not strum the 1st (now g not a) string?
This won’t be forever so I thought I could get some strum practice with easy chords. 2nd position chords will work if I don’t slack down.

Any help appreciated.
Shirley

Wow. I did the exact same thing to the exact same finger, but after having it sewn back and getting the stitches off, learning to play the uke and pressing on the fretboard actually help get sensation back and reduced the lingering swelling.

Fred Shields makes 3 string ukuleles (although some might take exception to including them). He basically drops the G string. The necks are a lot thinner (less wide) but a lot fatter depth wise. I have a few and while you lose that ukulele re-entrant sound, the rest sounds the same. They are fun and easy to play.

Not sure if that is something that would be a benefit, but I thought I would throw it out there.

John

Three fingers are enough to finger most chords with the ukulele. If you need a 4th finger, then rather think what guitar players have with to cope with 6 strings.
And stop complaining or trying excite noise with maybe alternative silly tunings etc.

Hope that injured finger you can bring also back working!

Any help appreciated.
Shirley

I hope your finger heals quickly.

Hi, quiltingshirley! I hope your finger heals very soon. Strumstick may help you.

Great ideas. Thanks. I’m trying using regular tuning and if I’m singing too it sounds ok. Some chords like Fm just aren’t happening. Now the problem is keeping the middle from jumping in and getting in the way. It’ll be a week tomorrow night so I guess I’m a bit impatient. Didn’t realize how often I pass a uke or guitar and just pick it up and play. Trying songs I don’t normally play but can get some strumming practice. Like Stir it Up by Bob Marley.

Fm is difficult certainly without middle finger. Alternative fingering 101x should work fine though, no need for octave C.

I have ok fingers, but C#m I play with 110x and it sounds much better than any 4 string chord in E/C#m keys.

Top Bottom