Thread: Cali Walnut Baritone from Mike Pereira

Default Cali Walnut Baritone from Mike Pereira

Was looking to find a Cali Walnut Baritone by Mike Pereira since September. Mim was able able to get me one, a very nice sounding one. Had an older MP baritone a while back, and wanted to see what a new MP would sound like in comparison. The Cali ukes by Mike are built in small batches, similar to a production setting. Therefore, Mike can keep the pricing down to under $1000. These Cali models are low on bling, but big on sound. All Black Walnut body, Honduran Mahogany neck, East Indian Rosewood fingerboard & bridge. Black Walnut headstock overlay, Cali decal on back of the headstock. MOP face dots. Bone nut & saddle. Basic Grover 14:1 open geared tuners and a simple satin poly finish. The fit and finish are great, very comfortable to play. The neck is smooth and just the right flattish D shape and thickness (not too thick). Great intonation, smooth fretwork, all as you would expect from Mike.

Living Water strings are standard. While I like them, the D string can be thuddy. So, I took some advice and swapped it out for a .033 smooth wound Oasis tenor G string (it worked!). Sounds better, clear, warm and smooth, lots of volume. I'm impressed with sound. Here's a sample.
    https://app.box.com/s/5l23w1b2264wa0vhwbq6b96yg8dakjux

For just under $1000, this baritone is hard to beat for quality construction, comfort and sound. Custom sound and quality at a production price.

A few pics.
    P1090092 by , on Flickr
    P1090090 by , on Flickr
    P1090083 by , on Flickr
    P1090079 by , on Flickr
    Last edited by Doc_J; 03-17-2019 at 03:55 PM.
    -Hodge
    Humble strummer of fine ukes.

A beauty - in both sound and looks. Congratulations, Hodge!
    Jan D
    KoAloha KCM-00 (all solid koa concert)
    KoAloha KCO-10 (all solid acacia concert Opio)
    Ohana TK-35CG (all solid mahogany tenor w/cutaway)
    Kala KA-SLNG (long neck soprano)
    Snail SUC (solid top mahogany concert)
    Flight TUS35 (blue soprano)

Ditto. What a nice instrument. I'm not familiar with this maker, so thanks for posting this.
    Kala KA-TE tenor uke (currently tuned re-entrant gCEA)
    Kala APB-CTG baritone uke (currently tuned DGBE)
    Ohana BK-35CG baritone uke (currently tuned low-octave ADF#B)
    Various guitars, banjos, and basses

Ditto again, very nice looking baritone and the notes thick and clear almost piano like.

Tim

Fantastic instrument Doc. I love the look of that walnut, beautiful grain and colour variations. It sounds as wonderful as it looks, and it's a real bargin considering it is custom built. Congratulatiins and thanks for the great review as always
    Currently enjoying these ukuleles : *LdfM tenor, *LfdM 19" super tenor. *LfdM baritone, *I'iwi tenor , *Koolau tenor, *Webber tenor, *Kimo tenor, *Kimo super concert, *Mya Moe baritone, *Kamaka baritone, *Gianinni baritone, *Fred Shields super soprano, *Kala super soprano, *Loprinzi super soprano, *Black bear ULO concert , *Enya X1 concert, *Enya X1 pineapple soprano, *Gretsch tenor, *Korala plastic concert

It really looks like a great instrument! I am very interested in these and I'm considering buying another baritone soon.

I've seen Cali instruments before in stores and I've enjoyed playing them if I recall. My reason for not considering buying one so far though is very, very petty and silly. The name "Cali" is a big turn-off for me. In my experience... people from California do not call our state Cali. Out of staters do, it's a shibboleth. It's faux-surfer speak. So it's kind of weird to me that a California builder would use the name... but to each their own. Others may not mind at all, but I know I am not alone.

So, yeah, it's silly. Otherwise, I would absolutely love to have a locally built black walnut instrument. These days my interest is now 100% in keeping an eye out for instruments made by local Northern California builders (which for me, is Kala Elite, Tyde, and individuals like Mike).

Thread Information