Hello from South Idaho

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum, I just joined today. My name is Jared and I am from South Idaho in the USA. I am here for two reasons. The first reason is I want to learn more about playing the Ukulele. The second reason is that my Ukulele has a problem, and I dont know if it can be fixed. I am looking for help with it.

Basically, the A string on my Soprano Ukulele is slipping through the hole on the bridge it goes into. Yes, THROUGH the hole. I dont know what happened, it was fine 2 hours ago. The hole looks bigger, and the string wont stay put in the bridge when I tune it. It keeps slipping through.

Can this be fixed? If so, how?

Jared

Hi Jared,

Welcome to the forum. I grew up in Western Idaho, went to college in Eastern Idaho, and now live in Northern Utah.

Sorry to hear about your bridge and string problem. Could you post a picture of the bridge? That will help with figuring out a solution.

Okay, I'm going to attempt to post the picture. This is underneath a big magnifier.

20190318_152239.jpg

This is the affected area. The hole right where the a string goes into. The hole looks bigger than the knot that holds the string in there. Right now, I got a temporary fix with a bigger knot. it's working so far, but I don't know how long it will last.

It's an old ukulele, I got it 10 years ago in Hawaii while on vacation. I was 12 then, but since then I learned many chords, and many songs.

If you need a better picture, I will get it.

Jared

Sorry to be a hassle, but I need a little wider picture to see the style of the bridge. If possible, a picture of the entire bridge.

No problem! Here's a picture.

15530020710381200276445490111647.jpg

Here is a picture of the whole ukulele also if it helps

15530021532688508247998139347193.jpg

Jared

Welcome to UU.

I don’t use slotted bridge as per your photographs but understand that the smaller diameter strings (a and g) need large knots on them so that then can’t pull through slots; IIRC some folk even resort to adding small beads to the ends of strings to stop them pulling through. You might like to research that.

If there’s a Uke Club within reasonable traveling distance of you then there’s likely to be a welcome and extra help there too.

Last edited:
Thanks. It looks like I did the right thing, then. I took the A string out, and tied a more bulky knot. It looks like it fixed it. I played a song on it today, And it is no longer slipping.

I'm so happy I fixed it! This ukulele and I have been through a lot together. I didn't want to lose it.

Now, I just need to get down strumming patterns.

I'll see if there is a Ukulele club in my area. I don't know if there is, though. I'll find out.

Thanks for the help and the welcome!

Jared

Thanks. It looks like I did the right thing, then. I took the A string out, and tied a more bulky knot. It looks like it fixed it. I played a song on it today, And it is no longer slipping.

I'm so happy I fixed it! This ukulele and I have been through a lot together. I didn't want to lose it.

Now, I just need to get down strumming patterns.

I'll see if there is a Ukulele club in my area. I don't know if there is, though. I'll find out.

Thanks for the help and the welcome!

Jared

There are particular types of knots that have been found to work better than others ....... it’s worth while you researching that. As a start point this video by (the very respects) UU member Ken Timms could help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rBcbXqql0

A Goodge search indicates to me that Boise has something and I suspect that there might be a group in Idaho Falls too.

If you haven’t heard about setting a Uke up then a bit if reaserch will again pay you back in spades.

Good luck and lets’s hope to hear of what Uke players in Idaho are doing.

Last edited:
Well, that's convenient. I just took a look, and it turns out that there is a ukulele group in the Boise area, and I happen to live near the Boise area. That's convenient!

Apparently, they do Jam sessions and anybody is welcome. I might try going there sometime.

Jared

There are particular types of knots that have been found to work better than others ....... it’s worth while you researching that. As a start point this video by (the very respects) UU member Ken Timms could help:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=I-rBcbXqql0

Interesting, I'll have to consider that. I've got some knot books and apps I might peruse too. My 1st string tends to pop out if I don't double knot it, but I just tie one knot over the other. I could see it popping out on the 4th string too.

It looks like the bridge is already damaged on that ukulele though. Hopefully it will be fine with a bigger knot.

Have to say, I'm familiar with Ken Timms sopranos, but not the man. I wouldn't associate those big hands with that instrument!

Last edited:
Well, that's convenient. I just took a look, and it turns out that there is a ukulele group in the Boise area, and I happen to live near the Boise area. That's convenient!

Apparently, they do Jam sessions and anybody is welcome. I might try going there sometime.

Jared

Like get togethers for other hobbies each Uke group differs, additionally sometimes there are clusters of common interest folk within them who might meet separately too and sometimes you become aware of other local groups who’s limited advertisements you have missed. Uke groups basically seem to attract good folk who support each other in a raft of ways, you’d be wise to attend a club regularly and see where the experience leads you to.

I don’t know your skill level but if you’re a beginner then don’t let that delay or put you off of going. In my experience clubs welcome beginners. If you’re young don’t let age demographics put you off either, old people like young folk; actually we’re all young folk inside it’s just that some of us live in older bodies.

Last edited:
Top Bottom