Swapping geared tuning machines for UPTs?

YogiTom

Reaction score
Is this something I could do at home, or better to take into a luthier?

My Mele tenor sounds great (especially with some new Living Water strings), but I’m pretty over the play in the open geared tuning machines it came with. It feels like I’m constantly playing with the tuning when I pick up the uke.

I know the UPTs don’t have screws, and it doesn’t look like the screw holes would line up even with the open gear tuners Gotoh makes, so I’m assuming I’ll be filling those small holes on the headstock regardless of which option I choose.

Any recommendations on what to use for the job, or am I better off taking it to a shop for them to do?

How long have you had it? The strings may still be stretching. Also with humidity changes, you may need to tune more often. If it has Grover open back tuners, the problem is unlikely to be them. If it has unbranded ones, and they are the problem, a simple and inexpensive swap for Grovers may solve your problem and (most likely) won't require drilling or filling holes. If you're compelled to go the expensive and more challenging UPT route, others will be able to advise you. It depends on your confidence and skills.

How long have you had it? The strings may still be stretching. Also with humidity changes, you may need to tune more often. If it has Grover open back tuners, the problem is unlikely to be them. If it has unbranded ones, and they are the problem, a simple and inexpensive swap for Grovers may solve your problem and (most likely) won't require drilling or filling holes. If you're compelled to go the expensive and more challenging UPT route, others will be able to advise you. It depends on your confidence and skills.

Definitely not just the strings. While the LW I put on recently are still settling in, I’ve been having this issue since purchase in November. They are some cheap-looking non-branded nickel/chrome open gear tuners. I guess part of my issue may be that, visually, I’m not in love with the open gear design...may be making more work for myself in changing...:p

As for other causes for the constant tuning, humidity here is pretty constant at ~60%. Not sure if it’ll dip in summer, but winter through now has been very consistent these past months that I’ve had the uke.

Last edited:
Last edited:
swapping out tuners would be simple enough, if even you have to ream the holes a bit. But plugging, filling and refinishing the old screw holes is a job for a pro if you care enough about the appearance to have results that will not be cringe-inducing.
Personally, I'd try to find open geared tuners of higher quality that will eith be drop-ins, or at least will cover the old holes.....

I like UPT okay—came on two of my instruments—but prefer the look and feel of a nice set of open gear tuners. Check out these Rubers for ukulele:

https://www.rubnertuners.com/ukulele-machines

I don't have any ukulele tuners but just changed out a set on one of my classical guitars and Rubner workmanship is amazing: silky smooth, beautiful and well made. I ordered a custom spacing since my instrument was made in the 1960s (before tuner spacing was standardized to 35mm). You can pick any plate, knob, engraving, special bearings, etc., you want and they'll make it for you. I only see slotted head type tuners on their stock page tho'.

swapping out tuners would be simple enough, if even you have to ream the holes a bit. But plugging, filling and refinishing the old screw holes is a job for a pro if you care enough about the appearance to have results that will not be cringe-inducing. ...

:eek: Great point! I definitely don’t have the skills for that work.

I like UPT okay—came on two of my instruments—but prefer the look and feel of a nice set of open gear tuners. Check out these Rubers for ukulele:

https://www.rubnertuners.com/ukulele-machines

I don't have any ukulele tuners but just changed out a set on one of my classical guitars and Rubner workmanship is amazing: silky smooth, beautiful and well made. I ordered a custom spacing since my instrument was made in the 1960s (before tuner spacing was standardized to 35mm). You can pick any plate, knob, engraving, special bearings, etc., you want and they'll make it for you. I only see slotted head type tuners on their stock page tho'.

Okay, I take back what I said about not liking the look of open gears. These look fantastic, thanks for sharing! Still think I’ll take Swamp Yankee’s advice and take whatever I get to a pro for install.

Appreciate the feedback, everyone!

:eek: Okay, I take back what I said about not liking the look of open gears. These look fantastic, thanks for sharing! Still think I’ll take Swamp Yankee’s advice and take whatever I get to a pro for install.!

Thanks for the smile. No need to rush to a pro with those new open back tuners, though. If you can operate a screwdriver, you'll probably be able to swap them into the same holes that are there.

Thanks for the smile. No need to rush to a pro with those new open back tuners, though. If you can operate a screwdriver, you'll probably be able to swap them into the same holes that are there.

Maybe. At first glance, they look to be very wide set compared to the nicer tuning machines I’ve looked at. Granted, I did a very quick and dirty measurement in mm using a 25ft tape measure, so probably could be more accurate there. Worth double checking if it’ll save any repair work, pro or my horrid home job.

I had friction pegs replaced by open gears, the shop charged 10 for labour. Prices may vary by shop, but if you are comfortable doing, it’s just that they will have all the right tools to do it.

Top Bottom