Question about strumming patterns.

jnicholes

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a quick question I would like to ask about strumming patterns.

Before I get to the question, I want to let you all know that I like to play accompaniment. By this, I mean a person playing a piano, and I play a ukulele to accompany. I actually have a song book for piano and it has chords for guitar and ukulele.

I'm just trying to figure out strumming patterns. That's always confused me.

My current knowledge is that if it is 4/4 time, you strum Down - Down - Down Up Down Up and go with the music.

3/4 is Down - Down Up Down Up and 2/4 is Down- Down Up.

I don't know any strumming pattern for 6/4 time.

Here is my question. Besides the strumming patterns I mentioned, are there any basic strumming patterns I should learn to play accompaniment? Does it depend on the piece? This has always confused me.

Any help will be appreciated,

Jared

I think you may be 'overthinking' the subject. Just a personal opinion, but if I want to play a song, I familiarise myself by listening to any version of it,and get the tempo stored in my head;then I play the song and just try and replicate the rhythm I have heard. It's a bit like riding a bike, it suddenly comes to you when you practice :I find it to be the same with songs/tunes. Don't try and analyse what you want to play,just play it. I know that may sound glib, but as ever with an instrument,PRACTICE is the answer. It will come to you, just persevere.

I've got a couple of other patterns you might like to try.

For 4/4: Down - Down Up - Up Down Up
For 6/8: Down - Down Up Down Up Down - Down - Down (Count 1, 2, &, 3, &, 4, 5, 6)

Wow, that's great advice. I guess it's just like riding a bike, then. I will keep practicing and I will try the strumming patterns also mentioned.

I was under the impression that there we're always specific strumming patterns for each time that you needed to use in a song.

Well, I will keep practicing, and I will keep you all up to date on how I am doing.

Thanks for the advice everyone.

Jared

I've found that the song sets the strum pattern. The music is there to support the song, not the other way around. Anyway, I've learned established patterns, made up a few of my own, but always in the context of a song. I think that it would be harder for me to learn a pattern without the song to support it. I know that a lot of people don't sing, so I don't have any advise, other than I hope that they can at least hear the song in their head to guide them. But that is what helps me. One thing that I never hear is that strum patterns can change to add some flavor to the song, so it does not end up being redundant. Something to work on as well.

Myself I just usually keep the old down up thing going and sometimes little variations. Like down with the thumb instead index.

One could of course try keep one single strumming pattern, like that all common calypso one in 4/4: D- DU -U DU
as a change from all regular DU's.

But no need to keep any special pattern :)

Thanks, guys. I appreciate it. I actually know how the music goes very well. The songs I play are childrens songs for my church. The book is for piano, but it has guitar and ukulele accompaniment with it. I know how the songs go. I guess I need to practice figuring out what strumming pattern for each song. I have made up a few for some songs, and they tend to work. I just need to figure out how to both make the strumming pattern good for the song and make it appropriate for what I am playing.

Actually just tried out some of the strumming patterns recommended on this thread with some songs I play. I love these strumming patterns already.

Thanks for the help, guys. I will keep practicing.

Jared

Written out piano parts tend to be fully composed, i.e., have bass, chords and often melody. In other words, are really musically complete. If you have too active a strumming pattern it can clutter and confuse the music. You might experiment with filling in with accents and jabs, e.g, strum only on the downbeat or beats 2 and 4. That way you leave space for the piano while adding emphasis to the meter and harmonic structure. When the piano takes a break—you're on your own as a accompanist—that's the time to let rip the fuller and more busy strumming patterns.

Top Bottom