Song Help Request Need help with this demo from HMS

mnb128

Reaction score
Hello Underground,

As you can see, I'm brand new to the forums and pretty darn new to the Ukulele in general. I'm hoping that someone can help me with tabbing out the song linked below. It's a demo done by Kalei Gamiao on TheUkuleleSite that I absolutely love. It's pretty short, and it's one of the few demos I've seen from that site that I have any prayer of being able to play. What I really need help with is from about 20 seconds to 1 minute. If I can't figure out the rest, I probably need to find a new hobby. :D

Before anyone suggests it, I've already tried slowing the video way down to 1/3 speed to try and figure it out myself, but after two days of making very little progress, I've come to the realization that it's just beyond me for now. My hope is that someday I'll be able to play something like this by ear, but that day is a long way off.

Anyway, I'd be happy to pay someone for the time and effort.

Here is the direct link to the demo on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/323569257

Lastly, does anyone know the name of the song? It's sounds really familiar to me, but try as I might I just can't place it.

Thanks, everyone. Glad to be a part of the community.

Not really tabs, but here are the basic chords to get you started (from 0:21 to 1:02):

D sus2 (2200) - - D (2220) - D sus2 - | - - D - - |
A (2100) - - A add9 (2102) - - | A - - - A add9 (2012) . A maj (2104) . |
Bm (4222) - - BM with high D added (4225) - - | - - - Bm -
G shaped like F with barre at the second fret (4232) - - - - | - - - Bm (4222) . G . (4232) |
D sus2 (2200) - - - - | - - - D (2220) - |
A maj (2104) - - - A add9 (2102) . A . A add9 . |
G sus 2 (0230) - - - - | - - - G (0232) - G sus 2 - |
D sus2 (2200) - - - - [etc.]

These are the chord names and finger shapes. Some of them are merely a quick hammer on and off one string to add the melody. I tried to indicate the length of each chord with lines (- = 1 beat) and dots for shorter notes (. = 2 or more per beat).

I think you should be able to go from the above chords and figure out the rest by playing them along to the video.

Hope that helps (a bit)! Have fun, don't look for a new hobby!

Last edited:
Not really tabs, but here are the basic chords to get you started (from 0:21 to 1:02):

G shaped like F with barre at the second fret (4232) - - - - | - - - Bm (4222) . G . (4232) |

These are the chord names and finger shapes. Some of them are merely a quick hammer on and off one string to add the melody. I tried to indicate the length of each chord with lines (- = 1 beat) and dots for shorter notes (. = 2 or more per beat).

I think you should be able to go from the above chords and figure out the rest by playing them along to the video.

Thank you, Rakelele! I think you may overestimate my abilities. I apparently do, too sometimes. All of this is new to me, and sometimes it's a bit overwhelming. Patience is not my strongest characteristic. I'll give it a shot and see if I can work it out. Thank you again so much for the quick help.

I'd still be thankful for some tabs if anyone out there is willing and able.

Perhaps you are tying to run before learning the basic steps. Many would like to play like an master after a couple of hours but unless you have an exceptional ability, it is down to hard work.
Have you spent a good number of hours working on chord changes, learning fingerpicking or working on chord melodies?
I am not trying to put you off but, as a beginner, you have to lower your expectations somewhat.

Perhaps you are tying to run before learning the basic steps. Many would like to play like an master after a couple of hours but unless you have an exceptional ability, it is down to hard work.
Have you spent a good number of hours working on chord changes, learning fingerpicking or working on chord melodies?
I am not trying to put you off but, as a beginner, you have to lower your expectations somewhat.

Hi Barrytone. In a certain respect, I am absolutely trying to run before I can walk, and I recognize that. I have spent a good bit of time on chord changes and fingerpicking (still have a very long way to go). I've spent much less time on chord melodies at this point, but I'm working at it. I'm in this in between spot where I can play some reasonably technical stuff as long as I've got tabs to follow, and I'm sure this particular tune is one I could manage. However, without tabs, I'm stuck. I just don't have the ear yet to work stuff out on my own. I know it's a crutch, but I'm ok with using a crutch to learn some more difficult stuff while I work at becoming an actual musician at the same time. For some reason, this little tune really gets me, and I wanna learn it now. What can I say? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Thank you!

Hello Underground,

As you can see, I'm brand new to the forums and pretty darn new to the Ukulele in general. I'm hoping that someone can help me with tabbing out the song linked below. It's a demo done by Kalei Gamiao on TheUkuleleSite that I absolutely love. It's pretty short, and it's one of the few demos I've seen from that site that I have any prayer of being able to play. What I really need help with is from about 20 seconds to 1 minute. If I can't figure out the rest, I probably need to find a new hobby. :D

Before anyone suggests it, I've already tried slowing the video way down to 1/3 speed to try and figure it out myself, but after two days of making very little progress, I've come to the realization that it's just beyond me for now. My hope is that someday I'll be able to play something like this by ear, but that day is a long way off.

Anyway, I'd be happy to pay someone for the time and effort.

Here is the direct link to the demo on Vimeo.

https://vimeo.com/323569257

Lastly, does anyone know the name of the song? It's sounds really familiar to me, but try as I might I just can't place it.

Thanks, everyone. Glad to be a part of the community.

Well, I decided to keep at it and see if I could tab this out on my own, and I think I've gotten it pretty darn close. There are some sections that I'm sure aren't exact, but what I've got here is certainly workable. It's not the prettiest tab sheet in the world. You'll have to listen to the video to figure out the timing. I don't know how to do any of that stuff yet. I'm not really a musician, just an ukulele playing parrot if you catch my meaning. I've found that this little tune has helped me to work on quite a few skills, such a barring better, hammer-ons, pull-offs, rapid chord transfers, and rapid transfers from fingerpicking to strumming and back again.

Here's the link.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8bp1956ie74y6kn/Kalei Gamiao Demo.docx?dl=0

This should probably be moved over to the tabs boards now, but I'm not sure that I have the ability to do that.

I'd still love to know what the song is. It may be an original, but it certainly sounds familiar to me.

Top Bottom