Flouro vs Nylgut

Ukecaster

Reaction score
I find it hard comparing strings, since once you take the old ones off, the memory of them could get foggy, if trying to compare to your new set.

I happen to have 2 of basically the same uke model here, Ohana TK-35CG (cutaway) and TK-35G (non cutaway). Both solid mahogany tenors. I thought this would be a good opportunity to more accurately compare flouro strings to Nylguts, since it's so easy to play them back to back on almost identical ukes, and hear any differences more immediately.

First uke is TK-35CG with Worth CT, followed by the TK-35G with Nylguts. The Nylgut uke has a low-G, while the flouro uke has high-G, so I tried to stay away from the G string, so as not to mess up the comparison.

I like them both, but my ears hear more ring and chime in the flouros, while more mid chunk in the Nylguts. I think I like the Nylguts better up the neck, and the flouros better down low, YMMV. After the video, I tuned down to B, and the flouros fattened up a lot, I like that sound; the Nylguts sounded a bit less good, to my ears, maybe a bit tubby.

Just for giggles, I played my solid cedar top Cordoba with flouros at the end.

Let me know what you hear.

Last edited:
I don't hear a lot of difference but there is a little more ring to the fluorocarbons.

There are things I like about both. I always like the clarity and ring of fluorocarbons, but when I hear the Nylgut it often seems that the tone is a bit fuller and has a little more depth. The fluorocarbon seems to have more highs and the nylgut has more mids. Sometimes fluorocarbon can sound a bit thin to me, especially on the A string. I suppose a lot has to do with the player, the style of playing and the instrument, but then again, some players can make just about anything sound good.

Yes, the feel is much different, with Aquilas feeling fatter and more tactile, while the flouros feel smoother/slinkier to me. For my old eyes, the Aquilas are easier to see too.

I thought that was very well done John. I have noticed on videos and recording there does not sound a lot of difference really. You can tell the Fluorocarbons are lighter and brighter and have a truer tonal quality. The Nylgut sounds a little more mid rangy and seems to colour the sound slightly with their unique tone.
It is a very personal choice but for me it is more in how they feel. The Fluorocarbons feel very flimsy and light. I can almost not feel them under my fingers.
The Nylguts are far more robust and you know there is a string there being fretted and played. This gives me far more confidence in playing. I can pluck the string harder or softer, use vibrato, bend the string etc. I can just feel it working for me. It is music we are trying to play on our ukuleles and the expressive quality of the instrument is the most important thing. To me I can achieve that better with the Nylgut string.
To a lot of people I know the softer feel of the Fluorocarbons is a bonus and they prefer that sound. It is a very personal thing and each to their own.
Great review John. I think you have it all down for interested players to get an idea of the difference!
Mike

Nice comparison. I like the Fluoro's but I can see how the nylguts would appeal to others. Strings are such a personal thing. Depends on the instrument too.

Alex really summarized them well here:

To my ears, the fluorocarbons sound too chimy.... almost metallic. At least they do on this tablet...

The nylguts are warmer, softer, with a more fundamental tone but with just the right touch of chime.

I thought the fluorocarbons sounded much better on the cedar top Cordoba, however, than they did on the Ohana.

Wow, I really didn't like the Worth Clears. Good to know I guess. I have Phd and Fremont Black line med on right now. Not too crazy about the Fremonts but love the Phd. Will try Living Waters next, Glad I have never purchased Worth. They lack dimension.

i've try to explore something different. i use classical guitar nylon. 1-3 string i've use from ernie ball, black nylon low tension series. and for the 4th string i use from albert augustine low tension. all them i choose to build warmest sound i can make, match with the wood on my baritone ukulele. and they sounds amazing. just check the demo here:

Update... I put on headphones and listened again. Fluorocarbons won out all the way.

Yea good listening equipment makes a world of difference. I have a friend who would listen to a sound sample and immediately say he didn't like the sound of that uke. I would ask him if he was just listening to it on his phone........again. Thanks for taking the time to put on headphones and updating your findings.

Last edited:
Wow, I really didn't like the Worth Clears. Good to know I guess. I have Phd and Fremont Black line med on right now. Not too crazy about the Fremonts but love the Phd. Will try Living Waters next, Glad I have never purchased Worth. They lack dimension.

You might want to try them on your own uke before passing judgement. Worth are the Gold Standard by which others developed their products after. Different strings work best on different ukes, you never really know for sure unless you try.

Last edited:
Good obsevations Bill1. When I said Gold Standard it was not inferring they were the best. Worth seemed to be the first large scale manufacture of florocarbon uke strings and others then followed suit.

I thought that was very well done John. I have noticed on videos and recording there does not sound a lot of difference really. You can tell the Fluorocarbons are lighter and brighter and have a truer tonal quality. The Nylgut sounds a little more mid rangy and seems to colour the sound slightly with their unique tone.
It is a very personal choice but for me it is more in how they feel. The Fluorocarbons feel very flimsy and light. I can almost not feel them under my fingers.
The Nylguts are far more robust and you know there is a string there being fretted and played. This gives me far more confidence in playing. I can pluck the string harder or softer, use vibrato, bend the string etc. I can just feel it working for me. It is music we are trying to play on our ukuleles and the expressive quality of the instrument is the most important thing. To me I can achieve that better with the Nylgut string.
To a lot of people I know the softer feel of the Fluorocarbons is a bonus and they prefer that sound. It is a very personal thing and each to their own.
Great review John. I think you have it all down for interested players to get an idea of the difference!
Mike

Thanks Mike!

Top Bottom