Cracked lacquer

JJohansen

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have two koa ukulele near completion. I sprayed the nitro finish back in august, and have not had time to wet sand and polish until now. I've found several deep cracks in the lacquer on both instruments. I suspect that these cracks were caused by two factors. One being too thick of finish left for too long, the other being the near freezing temperatures that they must have experienced over the winter once or twice. My own stupid fault, I know.

What would be the correct way to fix this problem? If I were to sand off the finish, would I need to get back to bare wood?

Thanks!

You are probably correct on both assumptions and yes as far as I know .... you will have to go back and do it again. Being from Fairbanks Alaska I know a thing or three about cold and lacquer. Keep it thin... keep it warm...keep it humidified.... I do not ship any ukes in the cold part of winter. If they get stuck outside waiting to get loaded on the jet..they freeze and crack... the thicker the finish the better it cracks.

Check out a product called " Qualarenu " , it's an amalgamator . Go to Frets.com for more info .

Top Bottom