Putting PDFs onto an iPad

Jerryc41

Reaction score
I use a Kindle for my ukulele music, but I'd like to see if I can put about 125 songs onto an iPad. I followed some online directions, but nothing shows up on the iPad.ed

I opened iTunes, found the iPad, selected Books, and dragged all the music in PDF format into that folder. Without all the gory details, it didn't work - nothing to be found on the iPad.

I don't want to buy an app to manage the songs. I can use the Kindle for that. I just want to get them onto the iPad and read them on the screen. I suspect that's possible.

I think you're on the right track. I can open PDFs in the Books app. I assume you synced the iPad afterward? If so, I'm not sure why they didn't show up. You might could try putting in Dropbox and "Open In Books" but then you'd have to do one at a time.

I know you said you don't want to buy an app, but urealbook is pretty cheap, and the combination of unrealbook + Dropbox (which is free) makes it easy to get PDFs onto an iPad. As an added bonus, unrealbook has many features that makes it ideal for reading PDFs of song charts. For one, it can override your iPad's screen timeout, so your iPad won't go black in the middle of a long song. Plus you can set up playlists, make notations on the charts, and more. I've used it for years and now have several thousand PDFs on my iPad.

- FiL

I know you said you don't want to buy an app, but urealbook is pretty cheap, and the combination of unrealbook + Dropbox (which is free) makes it easy to get PDFs onto an iPad.

So I don't need iTunes?

Ah! You're Fil. I'll be seeing you soon in NJ!

Should I have the Book app on my iPad as standard, or do I have to get that? Right now, I don't have it.
I think he means iBook, you should have that on your iPad. Do you also have an app called Files? These apps should be pre-loaded on the iPad.

I think he means iBook, you should have that on your iPad. Do you also have an app called Files? These apps should be pre-loaded on the iPad.

The directions I saw online show the iTunes screen, with "Books" in the left column. That's where I put the songs. There is no "Books" on my iPad, just iBooks, and that is empty. This is why I like the Kindle. It's so easy to use. I just drag and drop whatever I want onto the micro SD card, and it's on the Kindle. I can do that with the card in the computer or in the Kindle.

Sometimes the issues that I have had doing things have been because they changed the process for different versions of the operating system. It is also helpful to download the manuals for the iPad or other devices onto iBooks. They release updated ones every time things change.

I use Dropbox and iBooks. If you PDFs are on a Mac you can”airdrop” them too.

If you have not done so set up different eMail accounts on each device and mail them a batch at a time.

Zero cost.

I'm more used to a PC and thumb drive, so i've been using the Sandisk Connect Wireless Flash Drive.
it creates its own wifi wireless connectivity with devices that have the free Sandisk Connect App installed.

I find it very useful because I can load my music pdfs via the USB port and then transfer the files wirelessly
from the Drive to my tablet or phone, etc. :)

I carry the drive with me all the time so as I meet ukulele friends (old and new), if they need some ukulele
music and they are willing to download the FREE SanDisk Connect App, I can share some songbooks and
other files and send them on their merry way :)

I hope this helps! A couple of Christmases ago, after I found this, I told my kids THIS was the present for me!

I had been struggling to get any ukulele pdfs on to my iPad and this item was a Godsend!

keep uke'in',

PS if you want to discuss it with me (rohiguchi@seattleschools.org) :)

If you have not done so set up different eMail accounts on each device and mail them a batch at a time.

Zero cost.

I have sent things from one device to another using the same email address. I just send to myself and open it where I want to use it.

I know you're trying to avoid buying an app, but forScore is really the way to go. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Yes, I am trying to avoid buying an app. I bought the MobileSheetsPro for three Kindles, and the Kindle is my go-to tablet. The iPad is version 2, and it offers a new definition of "slow." That's why I switched to the Kindle. I'd just like to see if the iPad might be an alternative or a loaner.

Yes, I am trying to avoid buying an app. I bought the MobileSheetsPro for three Kindles, and the Kindle is my go-to tablet. The iPad is version 2, and it offers a new definition of "slow." That's why I switched to the Kindle. I'd just like to see if the iPad might be an alternative or a loaner.

I also have an iPad 2, I upgraded to an iPad 9.7 because none of the apps I wanted where supported on the older iPad. You should have iBook one he older iPad, Files has a different name (explorer?), have you tried looking on iCloud to see if the pdf’s are there?

I started using my v2 iPad with OnSong and forScore (which I find awkward) when my music notebook got too heavy, but the screen was too small for me. The only larger screens at the time were Android, which I hesitated buying until I found MobileSheets Pro, in my opinion is more logical than OnSong or forScore, so I bought a 13.3" Android. I lived with the shortcomings of Android compared to iOS, until I needed better stylus notation and recording capabilities. By then the iPad Pro 12.9" was available, but I didn't want to spend close to $1000 for it and I like MobileSheets Pro.

Then I saw that MobileSheets Pro was made for Windows 10 tablets which were touted for good stylus function, so I bought one with a stylus. That was a disaster, I found Windows 10 to be an incredibly cumbersome system, the stylus was only marginally better than the Android, and it would not record when running MobileSheets Pro.

In my frustration I went to my local Apple Store and tested out the iPad Pro 12.9" and Apple Pencil. The moment I put my hands on I found it I saw that ran circles around any other system I tried, amazingly fast and because I have an iPhone, knew all the functions, so I decided to learn the ins-and-outs of forScore (which records directly in the app to the song being played) and bought a refurb 12.9" with refurb Pencil for $800 out the door.

Lesson learned, step up to the better choice rather than the lesser choice.

Top Bottom