Graft and patch

Johni

Reaction score
Hello,
I’m in the midst of attempting to build my first instrument.
It’s the Hana Lima tenor uke and I’m using the plans and book but no kit. I’m using Red cedar. So as I’m making up parts I see the grafts are to be made running the grain opposite the length. Is there any issue using two pieces of red cedar veneer laminated together to achieve the recommended thickness? Do “real luthiers” ever do this?

No, no reason you can not use two to make up the thickness. No, a real luthier will have enough scrap wood on hand. Good luck, enjoy your build.

I’m glad you mentioned scrap. I do have some cutoffs from making the sound board and back. They’re short. I’ll just have to figure out how to machine it down to final thickness

Thanks ...so far, I’m having a blast

Hey Johni, keep in mind that the grafts are relatively short as they fit between the braces. Also remember that double back tape is your friend. I use it to stick the scraps on a larger piece and use my belt sander to shape them. You can do the same by hand or hand sander.
Brad

That sounds like a GREAT idea. I’ve never used 2 sided tape before. Does it release well? Cedar this thin is going to be pretty fragile.

Thanks Brad

Double sided tape is thick, so you can use a razor knife to separate things. And don’t use very much, just two or three small pieces will do.

I hate double sided tap. I can never get it separated from the backing film.

I personally do not like double sided tape as it tends to over stick and sometimes (depending on the type) leave residue....If I require it, I use the masking tape and super glue trick mentioned above. Doesn't take much glue just a dot here and there of a medium/gel type (by the way you do not need accelerator...just wait 10 minutes while it is clamped). I also leave a little extra length on the bottom piece of masking tape as it makes it easy to get under and start the removal.

But if you take some of your scrap soundboard you should have what you need for the center reinforcement...just cut it in a way that gives you the proper (perpendicular) grain direction. I also like to chamfer the edges as it looks nice. As Buzz mentioned it just needs to fit between the braces so it does not need to be long.

Good luck on your build!

Double sided tape is thick, so you can use a razor knife to separate things. And don’t use very much, just two or three small pieces will do.

That makes sense. I’ll look for some and give it a try. Sounds like there’d be some scraping involved to clean off remaining adhesive.

I personally do not like double sided tape as it tends to over stick and sometimes (depending on the type) leave residue....If I require it, I use the masking tape and super glue trick mentioned above. Doesn't take much glue just a dot here and there of a medium/gel type (by the way you do not need accelerator...just wait 10 minutes while it is clamped). I also leave a little extra length on the bottom piece of masking tape as it makes it easy to get under and start the removal.

But if you take some of your scrap soundboard you should have what you need for the center reinforcement...just cut it in a way that gives you the proper (perpendicular) grain direction. I also like to chamfer the edges as it looks nice. As Buzz mentioned it just needs to fit between the braces so it does not need to be long.

Good luck on your build!

Thanks jardin
I have tape and ca so that’ll be my 1st choice. It makes sense to just use a little glue in my case. Maybe a template for routing a neck warrants more. Good idea clamping and making the little tape handles...tips like these are a great help.

The tape and ca method worked brilliantly
A spot of glue in each corner locked the work piece down perfectly. I need to learn to use a lighter touch on the bottle....it doesn't take much glue and a little bit flowed off the tape.

20190322_124120.jpg

20190322_125251.jpg

20190322_125452.jpg

Another hurdle down...
Thanks guys

Top Bottom