wound C string recommendation for concert

Ziret

Reaction score
I have a concert that is sort of thuddy on the C string, especially around F, F#. I thought a wound string would help. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Go to Strings by Mail, click on Classical Guitars, click on D'Addario. Then go to single strings, then Silver Wound. They come in a huge selection of diameters choose NYL025W, this is.025" in diameter and is a good place to start. You can go up to .026"=NYL026W or down to .024"=NYL024W.

I currently have the NYL026W on the 3rd spot of my Fred Shields all walnut pineapple super soprano. This is a concert scale length instrument and I like a little higher tension from the .026" diameter. I do have it strung low G with a Fremont Soloist wound, I like the wound 3rd and 4th pairing in linear tuning for a balanced tone. But a wound 3rd works great with reentrant tuning to get rid of the tubby 3rd string sound

Last edited:
Thank you both. I do want one today, of course! But the guitar store here--let's just say it's limited. Nonetheless, I'll check. There's also a dude with some string sets in his basement, I'll give him a call.

Mine is strung low g too, Dave. I never noticed it on my reentrant Kiwaya. You have me thinking once again about a FS long neck

BTW are those d'Addarios polished?

So pardon my general ignorance, would there be a configuration for a complete set for a concert within this package? Would I use the ADGB strings?

There is a polished set and you can even get a single "d":
https://www.stringsbymail.com/dadda...-polished-j4504lp-normal-tension-027-153.html

I have a complete set that I intended to put on a guilele but haven't tried it yet. It should give a normal tension 'G' for tenor scale so might work as a lower tension G for concert.

So pardon my general ignorance, would there be a configuration for a complete set for a concert within this package? Would I use the ADGB strings?

No there would not be a complete set for concert uke in this classical guitar set. Jim linked just the one string acceptable for your wound C needs. He has the complete set on hand HE will be using for his six string guilele.

Click on Hannabach Specialty Singles Classical Guitar Strings. There are single wound 3rd strings.

I have used the Hannabach as well ZZ but they are expensive compared to the DAddarios. Hannabach are great strings and I have their wounds on both my Mya Moe and Kamaka baritones.

Thanks! It seemed wrong, but you never know.

No there would not be a complete set for concert uke in this classical guitar set. Jim linked just the one string acceptable for your wound C needs. He has the complete set on hand HE will be using for his six string guilele.

OK, I had so many Strings by Mail browser pages open today that was afraid I'd need the weekend to figure out. I'll get something ordered tomorrow, probably.

Dave, when you said silver did you mean nickel? There were no silver d'Addario singles.

Oh wait, I misread the OP anyway. The string I mentioned was for a low G concert. You would need a 'g' guitar string (would be 3rd string of the guitar set) for a C concert. And the set I mentioned does not have a wound 3rd string. The only one of those I know of is the Thomastik-Infeld CF27:
https://www.stringsbymail.com/thoma...tring-g-027-chrome-steel-flat-wound-2480.html

Sorry for the misdirection

OK, I had so many Strings by Mail browser pages open today that was afraid I'd need the weekend to figure out. I'll get something ordered tomorrow, probably.

Dave, when you said silver did you mean nickel? There were no silver d'Addario singles.

Thomastik is nickel. The DAddario strings I am referring to are in the classical guitar section. Once in D'Addario scroll to the bottom and see Specialy Singles. Click on that , two categories appear, rRectified Nylon and Silverplated Wound, click on that.

Any issues with the nut slot using a wound C? I have the "tubby" C string issue on my aNueNue Moon Bird with the Blackwater strings. I'm debating about trying Living Waters strings on it, versus trying the wound C.

Any issues with the nut slot using a wound C? I have the "tubby" C string issue on my aNueNue Moon Bird with the Blackwater strings. I'm debating about trying Living Waters strings on it, versus trying the wound C.

I think it would be thinner than an unwound string so slight possibility of a buzz, but worth a shot.

I read somewhere else in the forum that someone solved it with (as I recall) a nylon c string from a tenor set. I'm going to try that now. Will report back. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy with strings in his basement, then I'll order if necessary.

I have the thomastic-infield wound g and c on one of mine and the low g kind of drones. Any suggestion on a different low g to try?

The nylon string experiment did not work. I tried Nylgut and AG x AQ, they both made it worse.

I think it would be thinner than an unwound string so slight possibility of a buzz, but worth a shot.

I read somewhere else in the forum that someone solved it with (as I recall) a nylon c string from a tenor set. I'm going to try that now. Will report back. I'm waiting to hear back from the guy with strings in his basement, then I'll order if necessary.

Top Bottom