How much do you have?

Great thread. I have too many sopranos, not enough concert scale...only two straps...maybe a few too many tuners but they were acquired over years. I look at all the stickers and T shirts but I have never bought. No mugs either, which is a little odd as I do love my coffee in a cool mug. I do have more strings sets than necessary primarily because no one here has much selection so when I buy online..I get everything of interest. Ah, I know! I have a lot of hygrometers! Nice ones, cheap ones...They are everywhere! I am always comparing them and there is one in every case. I can't help it, I live in a exceedingly dry climate and when I first moved here, some of my guitars got cracks. So now I have hygrometer acquisition syndrome! What is wonderful is that HAS keeps me from buying ukuleles! I don't want anymore 'watering" chores!
-and P.S. AustinHing, I love that painting...it is wonderful!

3 ukuleles, but 4 gig bags. 4 extra straps. 3 packs of strings. Only 3 tuners. I’m not doing too bad on UGAS. My big issue is music. Song sheets everywhere. Multiple binders full of music sheets. File folders of music sheets. Random stacks of music sheets. That’s not counting The Daily Ukulele book.

But ukulele stuff is way less expensive & takes up less space than my rafting & kayaking stuff. All that stuff requires part of a garage & a storage building to contain.

Fun thread!

2 Ukulele coffee mugs, in the back of our cabinet (they're too small), an earring from a set of ukulele earrings (I lost the other one) a brand new pair of ukulele earrings and a necklace from my wife that I've never worn, sets of Lo G strings (Who bought those?) a case that I just had to have, that I never use (Too damned heavy) ukulele T shirts that take up a 1/3 of a closet, 2 stage monitors that won't work when we plug in a wireless mic (WTH?) and at least a dozen songbooks that we made up ourselves, that sit on the shelves since we got Onsong in our iPAds, old patch cords that have electrical shorts in them, and fake leis from some Aloha shows we did last year.
But I still need that jar of nothing....

I must have some kind of obsession, about 4 feet of ukulele themed XL aloha shirts that I out grew, size wise. I can't seem to part with them, in spite that I now wear XXL.
Also have tools both power and hand for working on ukuleles, strings, pegs, machine tuners and clip on for GCEA reference, lots of songs on paper about 3 feet tall. many books and a computer that is mostly dedicated to to ukulele songs, pictures, web sites, and not quite up to date inventory of ukuleles. I've probably left something out. Oh and about 30 ukuleles of various types and states of playability.

Ha, I guess I am kinda blessed to be spending all my money on ukes, not uke related stuff… I do have some extra string sets, a capo and a chormatic tuner, but no ti-shirts, no mugs, no clutter.

I once bought a thumb pick and a glass slide that I never use. And two extra strap buttons, and a homemade strap or two that are not used after I made a better one.

I have a small supply of various spare strings, but those I expect to use.
I have three different tuners but I use them all. Nice to keep them near in different rooms.
I have a bunch of fake books, but I played songs from all of those. And ukulele books that I haven't been 100% through, but still used.

I am not that bad I guess.

Last edited:
I've bought a pike of ukuleles - but very little in the way of ukecessories. I already had a few clip on tuners for my guitars. I had a Korg CA30 I bought to tune a banjo back in 2004. I've made some straps from leather I've had for a decade or so...
I did buy a few Dampit type uke humidifiers that I ended up not using because I use jumbo ziploc storage bags and kitchen sponges to keep my ukes safe. I bought some ebony endpins and strap buttons...strings... but that's about it.

2 sopranos, 2 tenors, 4 stands, 2 gig bags, 2 hard cases, a couple songbooks, a uke leash, a ukulele tie, a couple jake s shirts...

I had a hard time with uas/gas for a bit and really still have issues with thoughtless acquisition. It's gotten better, but still have more than I need. It's been helpful for me to look at the things I bring into my home as a responsibility - something I need to take care of. I've only got so much time and it's way easier to let go of extra when I look at it objectively as something which brings me more stress than calm. I know having a ton of ukes sit in a room unplayed doesn't bring everybody stress, but it did me.

I have all the aforementioned stuff plus lots of other instruments and their stuff. Buying books and magazines and CDs is one of my major weaknesses. But I have a house and a car and lots of clothes (yes, including ukulele/banjo hats and tee shirts.). So, I decided, a while back, if I don’t buy the music stuff that I want, what is my money (Dare I call it “allowance?) for?

My only regret is that, one of these approaching days I’m gonna kick the bucket, and my poor wife is gonna have to deal with all the stuff that I’ve accumulated. However, if she goes first, I’ll have to deal with a mountain of quilting and knitting stuff — ahhh, well . . .

So, what the heck, if ya got it, spend it. If ya don’t, then cut back on food and skip the rent once in a while. :eek:ld:

I fully embrace UAS and every other AS there is, from ukes, to bass ukes, to stuff to modify them (I have 3 preamp/pickup systems on hold), to a bunch of boxes for shipping ukes (which I rarely do), to camera gear, to Ryobi One+ 18v tools (I have about 16 and a bunch of batteries), and I just bought a Brother WiFi scanner only to scan reimbursement receipts. Never married, no kids (that I know of), therefore more disposable income.
Married, two grown kids and a grand kid, but I've never let that stop me. I've gone through this with golf, photography, astronomy, metal detecting, and shooting sports. I still do astronomy and metal detecting and I'm still buying crap for those too. Golf and photography not so much anymore. Still I have all the stuff. I was an airplane mechanic and there were tool trucks that would stop by periodically selling tools. Rolling tool stores. Snap-on, Mac, Matco. I would buy something from them almost every time the came by, just because I liked to look at all of the tools and I thought that if we didn't buy something they would quit coming by. Forty years of that. So I'm retired, and I have tens of thousands of dollars worth of tools out in the garage. Last fall I bought a multi tool at a ukulele festival because I thought that it might just come in handy. It has a little flashlight on it. None of my other half dozen multi tools have a flashlight. Never can tell when I might want to look inside my ukulele and need a flashlight, and not be able to go out to my garage and get one of the dozen inspection lights of every size and shape that are out there.

I was an airplane mechanic and there were tool trucks that would stop by periodically selling tools. Rolling tool stores. Snap-on, Mac, Matco. I would buy something from them almost every time the came by, just because I liked to look at all of the tools...

I have lots of tools in the garage, some going back over fifty years. As I misplace something, I am forced to buy another. I usually find the lost item the day after I buy a replacement. That's been happening with tuners. I'll leave them in the case of the last uke I used, and then I can't find one when I need it. I have almost two dozen tuners - mostly Snarks - and I keep a supply of batteries on hand.

I was an airplane mechanic and there were tool trucks that would stop by periodically selling tools. Rolling tool stores. Snap-on, Mac, Matco. I would buy something from them almost every time the came by...
My tools have been scattered all over the shelves in my store/work room, so a couple of weeks ago I ordered a Craftsman ten drawer mechanics tool box from Sears, which was supposed to be delivered March 14, then delayed to March 21, then delayed again to March 28, but I have no faith in it happening, no one at Sears can definitively say where it is. No wonder they're almost out of business.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

I'm amazed at how much stuff even the cheap ukes I've bought to chop for parts come with. Extra strings, tuners, cleaning rags, etc. Did actually buy a string gauge, but I've used it on my cookie tin and banjo uke builds. Kept some boxes just because, and have extra gig bags because I buy hard cases (I drive a moped so need the protection). No caps, mugs or the like. May get a Samurai Uke teeshirt just because it's cute.

Did you have to cut holes for your arms and eyes? :D (Sorry I couldn't resist. It painted such a amusing picture when I read it.)

I ordered a Craftsman ten drawer mechanics tool box from Sears...

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

Those things are great. Once you develop a storage system and remember where things are, it will make life much easier. I put "rubber" drawer liners in mine. They keep the drawers from getting scratched, and the solid ones - as opposed to the ones with holes - make it easy to clean the drawers occasionally. Just remove the liners and dump the dirt out.

Top Bottom