Why did you choose concert over tenor or vice versa?

Short scale tenor?

They make super sopranos to give more room on the fretboard - does any one make a short scale tenor to give a tenor voice to a concert scale instrument?

How much does scale length effect the tone vs body size?

They make super sopranos to give more room on the fretboard - does any one make a short scale tenor to give a tenor voice to a concert scale instrument?

Fairly certain that the xs tiny tenor, at 19 inches, must have a shorter scale, albeit a little less of the boomy tenor sound.

I think that James Hill had a video where he told you what size ukulele you should play based on the length of your forearm. I'm not sure how valid that is, as I've seen some pretty excellent big guys playing sopranos, but it is out there somewhere.

I recall seeing this as well. He indicated that, if you strum where the neck meets the body, when you hold your ukulele the length of your forearm should fall about where the neck meets the body. I suppose I play sopranos or concerts because I have short forearms :eek:. I guess they just feel more "right" for me.

Being overly simplistic, a tenor is easier to play fingerstyle melodies; especially up the neck where note space is desirable. Since you want to learn chucking, it sounds like it would be just a matter of finding the most comfortable size, as others have pointed out.

You may want to try a cheaper concert just to see if you prefer that size. There is some merit in being able to play a shorter scale length to improve fretting precision. I know it helps to tighten up my playing to scale down when I start getting sloppy.

John

I owned a Gary Gill concert scale tenor for awhile. Mike Periera also makes a short scale tenor pineapple in his Cali line.
https://www.mpukulele.com/new-cali-model

I was at my local acoustic guitar & ukulele shop this morning to drop off my KoAloha concert for some work. While I was there, I sat down for awhile and played a Martin tenor. Just to satisfy my curiosity. It's been a year since I had a tenor. I walked away still feeling that I'm a concert scale person.

Last edited:
For one thing, chucking or chunking shouldn't damage anything anymore than strumming, you just mute with your palm against the strings.

My first uke was a soprano, just getting started, I wanted something traditional and cheap. After a while, when I decided to upgrade, I went with a concert, just to not get too big. I also have an old Martin soprano I enjoy, but mostly play concerts. I tried tenors, the reach is just awkward for me, just used to concert I guess.

Concert is my preferred size. It just feels the most comfortable with my short fingers and forearm length. I do play the tenor because I've always wanted to play the guitar since I was little, however I couldn't stretch my small hands comfortably enough so tenor's the closest thing to playing the guitar for me.

I did not choose a Concert.

For me the Tenor is far more comfortable to play especially with my old arthritic fingers

Having come from guitar for almost 50 years, and playing a soprano I bought on a whim that was uncomfortable, I went to Sam Ash and tried a concert and tenor. Tenor was very comfortable so that's all I play, which are also cutaway.

This is Michael Kohan in Los Angeles, Beverly West near the Beverly Center
9 tenor cutaway ukes, 5 acoustic bass ukes, 11 solid body bass ukes, 9 mini electric bass guitars (Total: 34)

• Donate to The Ukulele Kids Club, they provide ukuleles to children in hospital music therapy programs. www.theukc.org
• Member The CC Strummers: YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/CCStrummers/video, Facebook: www.facebook.com/TheCCStrummers

If you want a 'beater' to use instead of your good / expensive tenor for practicing risky stuff (or taking it along to places where it might get damaged, etc), I would suggest getting another tenor; that way, muscle memory will transfer better.

Concerts and sopranos are fun too, though!

Oh I am working slowly on it! But still Occasionally it goes awry and I am don't want to lay a big scratch across my beautiful uke. So I hope to find a cheaper laminate to practice some of that kind of stuff so I don't muck it up haha!

If you want a 'beater' to use instead of your good / expensive tenor for practicing risky stuff (or taking it along to places where it might get damaged, etc), I would suggest getting another tenor; that way, muscle memory will transfer better.

Depending on the finish on your beautiful tenor, may I suggest an alternative option. With a gloss finish, I was similarly concerned about scratches with my new tenor.

Reading through some posts I went to my local tech store and picked up a generic tablet screen protector that specifically said "cut to fit" as a feature. I cut a custom patch to cover the upper bout area right below my fretboard, and I've seen some folks who have done a second patch above the fretboard as well.

Unless I run my fingers over the soundboard I can't tell it's on my uke. I haven't noticed any change to the sound, and I feel confident in aggressive strumming, chucking, or the like, knowing I won't scrape my finish.

I acknowledge the camp that say 'normal wear and scratches give your uke character', but I found this protection option gives me the best of all worlds. I get to play my favorite uke, and I can keep that uke looking incredible. I'll save the 'normal wear character' for the fretboard.

Just my two cents....

Depending on the finish on your beautiful tenor, may I suggest an alternative option. With a gloss finish, I was similarly concerned about scratches with my new tenor.

Reading through some posts I went to my local tech store and picked up a generic tablet screen protector that specifically said "cut to fit" as a feature. I cut a custom patch to cover the upper bout area right below my fretboard, and I've seen some folks who have done a second patch above the fretboard as well.

Unless I run my fingers over the soundboard I can't tell it's on my uke. I haven't noticed any change to the sound, and I feel confident in aggressive strumming, chucking, or the like, knowing I won't scrape my finish.

I acknowledge the camp that say 'normal wear and scratches give your uke character', but I found this protection option gives me the best of all worlds. I get to play my favorite uke, and I can keep that uke looking incredible. I'll save the 'normal wear character' for the fretboard.

Just my two cents....

I agree. If the concern is scratching from fingers, a guard is the right solution. And the plastic static screen protectors work very well on gloss surfaces, and I can't hear any difference using one.

Now.. if the concern is.. am I playing the right size for me... that's a whole lot of personal preference.

Longer scales have more sustain, higher tension, and more energy (volume) because of physics. They tend to have a sound that is more guitar like and less soprano like... because.. physics.

I think the first thing people think is hand size.. but like.. fenge is tiny, and shreds a tenor, while you have very large men playing tiny sopranino's/minis, which leads me to say that's not really a thing. If you think your hand is too small... look for video of kids playing full sized guitar, and you'll get over it.

Now.. that isn't to say comfort is equal.... its not.

As you like your tenor, I don't think you need to change sizes, unless you're just curious, in which case, I'd suggest borrowing another size, or going to a music store and trying them for a while rather than buying blind.

The only reason that I have not owned a tenor is because I had to draw the line somewhere. I mean, after tenor there is baritone, and as far as I'm concerned once you go to baritone you might as well just get the real thing and play guitar. So I drew the line at concert. Totally arbitrary. Also, I have a soprano and two concerts and that's enough for me, so I'm not going to buy one just to have it.

When it comes to scratches, ukuleles are made to be played. You are going to get some scratches in it but you aren't going to wear it out. I know that this isn't the case always, but a lot of times when I see someone with a pristine ukulele my first impression is newbie. There is nothing wrong with a ukulele that looks like it has been played. Just saying, reasonable caution is all that is warranted.

T
When it comes to scratches, ukuleles are made to be played. You are going to get some scratches in it but you aren't going to wear it out. I know that this isn't the case always, but a lot of times when I see someone with a pristine ukulele my first impression is newbie. There is nothing wrong with a ukulele that looks like it has been played. Just saying, reasonable caution is all that is warranted.

A car is meant to be driven, but it still has bumpers and airbags.

A screen protector is a very simple and inexpensive solution. The OP was concerned about scratches, and there's a great solution. If you don't care about scratches, then don't worry about it. But.. the OP does.

A car is meant to be driven, but it still has bumpers and airbags.

A screen protector is a very simple and inexpensive solution. The OP was concerned about scratches, and there's a great solution. If you don't care about scratches, then don't worry about it. But.. the OP does.
Okay, I was just sharing an opinion.

I think once you get your first scratch, ding or mark, likely you would kind of heck care. Personally I won’t put a screen protector. It felt as if I’m babying it and potentially affect my playing and learning curve psychologically.

What OP should really do is get an uke that is even more expensive, more glossy, more everything! Then the current uke that seems so precious now is the go-to uke.

And you are welcome! Just kidding.

I started with a soprano - the standard. Then I bought a concert and then a tenor and a sopranino. I have about equal numbers of the three major sizes. I'm not concerned with the size of shape of the uke. When I go to a session, I bring a regular uke and a banjo uke or a resonator.

I think once you get your first scratch, ding or mark, likely you would kind of heck care. Personally I won’t put a screen protector. It felt as if I’m babying it and potentially affect my playing and learning curve psychologically.

What OP should really do is get an uke that is even more expensive, more glossy, more everything! Then the current uke that seems so precious now is the go-to uke.

And you are welcome! Just kidding.

Very funny! I would if I could but that's not possible haha

Top Bottom