Aloha kakou ukers,

mm stan

Mystery Man
UU VIP
Reaction score
Ukulele players: Do you get more joy/fun playing along with online videos or in a 'live' group setting?And why.

A live group setting does it for me. Why? I think it's the tangible energy that is created when two or more people share in something they are passionate about. It's also about reaching a goal through teamwork. The result may not always be perfect, but the emotion attached to playing music with others in a live situation just feels so real. And fun. And addictive. :)
Jan D

I'm mainly a lone wolf soloist but nothin' beats performing live with other like minded musicians. You get to express yourself by reacting and feeding off one another's rifts and feelings. That two-way+ interchange drives at the essence of what music is all about. Playing along with a recording is good for learning a new song but it's a one-way street and misses out on the exchanges and emotional communication between the players.

I enjoy both.....solo for my own entertainment, as well as in a group setting.

Ukulele groups - The social interaction with my ukulele family. The group energy & fun. All of my ukulele groups involve some teaching aspects, so I learn a lot. Getting up the courage to play in front of the group is building my confidence as a player & mediocre singer. I arrive with a smile & leave with an even bigger one.

Playing in my church band - Pushes my boundaries in playing with a small group. Timing, tempo, chords & songs that are new and often challenging. Plus the overall worship experience in a wonderful & fulfilling way.

Solo at home - I can get lost in music at home. I can sing with loud abandon at home, and my dog doesn't complain. It helps me relax & de-stress. Home is where I take the stuff I learn from my groups and really work on it. Practice in my own space & time.

Top Bottom