Gluing on the back method; Go Bar Deck, big rubber bands or something else?

Steve-atl

Reaction score
How do you glue on your backs?
I have a go bar deck and some Stewmac rubber bands.

I saw one video where the guy installed some dowels around his body mold then he could use the big rubber bands as clamps. I like the idea of using the go bar deck; it seems like it would help in keeping the backs radius uniform.

Thanks as always

I use spool clamps. Google it. I made my own.

I think I want to glue the back on while the sides are still in the body mold. So the spool clamps will not work.

Hey Steve....

I use my go bars to glue on the back and I use two cauls cut to the curves of the body outline just to even out the pressure....

Sand your braces to the radius dish (I assume you are using one but cannot remember)....
Glue braces on by pushing them and the back into the dish with your go bars....
Sand your sides (with linings installed of course) to the radius dish
And glue the back to the sides

If you sanded your braces and sides on your radius dish it will ensure the radius is correct so any method you like should not be a problem there.....but I have always used the go bar myself....just a matter of preference...I am sure there are many ways others do it as we all do things a little differently

Hope this helps ....

I think I want to glue the back on while the sides are still in the body mold. So the spool clamps will not work.

I glue mine in the mold. I have a clamping caul that attaches to the mould to back up the side that I'm not gluing at the time. I use clamps that reach around the mould. I don't have any images of a clamping operation, but here is one of a uke in the mould with clamping caul.

22218590_677613882433354_7571604689230598139_o.jpg

You would need to add threaded inserts to your mold, but here is the method I picked up from Pete:

P1090427.jpg P1090428.jpg P1090348.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Steve....

I use my go bars to glue on the back and I use two cauls cut to the curves of the body outline just to even out the pressure....

Sand your braces to the radius dish (I assume you are using one but cannot remember)....
Glue braces on by pushing them and the back into the dish with your go bars....
Sand your sides (with linings installed of course) to the radius dish
And glue the back to the sides

If you sanded your braces and sides on your radius dish it will ensure the radius is correct so any method you like should not be a problem there.....but I have always used the go bar myself....just a matter of preference...I am sure there are many ways others do it as we all do things a little differently

Hope this helps ....

I have done all your steps except the gluing. I do not want to get this part wrong. So if I radius the braces and sanded the sides in the radius dish I should be good?

If I used the go bar deck and radius dish, I would lay the back down first and then the sides? I guess I could put a board on top of the sides to help with placement with the poles?

Thanks

Thanks

I love your rosette. I have no idea how you do that

Here are two methods to glue on plates. The first uses cam clamps (just one pic). What you can't see is a small auxiliary table that raises everything off the bench to make room for the bottom arms of the clamps. The radius dish sits on the table, the back on the dish, The sides/mold on the back.

nine_foot_glue_back2.jpg

The second method uses a one-screw press. The radius dish sits on the deck. The back sits on the dish. The mold/sides sit on the back. A flat dish sits on the sides and the screw is lowered on everything. Very clean and fast.

DSC_0187.jpg

DSC_0188.jpg

DSC_0189.jpg

DSC_0190.jpg

The second method uses a one-screw press. The radius dish sits on the deck. The back sits on the dish. The mold/sides sit on the back. A flat dish sits on the sides and the screw is lowered on everything. Very clean and fast.

View attachment 116409

I love this one! It seems like it would be easier to line everything up before the pressure was applied

Thanks

Then again... You can just use rubber bands. I used them when I first started out, and you know what, they worked just fine. Now I use spool clamps and that works just fine too.

DSCN7914.jpg

The second method uses a one-screw press.
Nice idea, John.
How do you eliminate the risk of either the back or sides slipping out of alignment once the pressure goes on?
Miguel

Nice idea, John.
How do you eliminate the risk of either the back or sides slipping out of alignment once the pressure goes on?
Miguel

If the brace ends are a tight fit in the lining there is no wiggle room for the plates, and since the pressure is straight down there is no force pushing toward misalignment. If you have any doubts you can always peek at the joint with a flashlight. What you can't see is a piece of soft router pad under the back to close any small gaps that an inconsistent dish might encourage. My press is built onto a bench, but if a separate deck was used the entire structure could be placed on a shelf and out of the way while the glue dried.

I’ve used string on my first and this crazy contraption on my second. I was too impatient to stop and make clamps.3C2E7D7E-29B1-42FD-908B-691079366B63.jpg It was inspired by Ken Timms' plexiglass and screwed down caul system....it worked but you have to be very careful to have your drill clutch set to low, then tighten by hand. If I make another, I'll extend the 1/4” plywood to the ends of wooden battens and not have them proud.

Edit: this photo is when I put the front on. I don’t have a shot of the back going on but it's exactly the same setup.

Last edited:
Top Bottom